Countdown to 2009: A Look Back at Five Memorable World of Outlaws Races from 2008

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Concord, NC— December 29, 2008—With just three days remaining in 2008, five of the most exciting races of the World of Outlaws season are being re-visited for five consecutive days in chronological order.

The third event that will be featured will be the race from September 21 at Lebanon Valley Speedway in New York which had been postponed by rain prior to the A-Feature on July 20. The race saw Jac Haudenschild charge off the high side of the fourth turn on the last lap, threading the needle between Jason Meyers and the wall to edge Meyers by just 0.014 seconds to earn his 50th career World of Outlaws A-Feature win.

"It is pretty special," said Haudenschild after the win. "We have been out here for a long time and I definitely have a good ride this year. It's good to know that you are getting in a good car each night. Leonard Lee has the car going good. The car felt good tonight and has been fast all year. We got a run him there on the restart over the last two laps and it was a good one to win."

For a full race report as well as complete results from this race and a photo of Haudenschild visit: http://www.worldofoutlaws.com/sprint/News/2008/September/092108_SP_RACEREPORT.aspx

Haudenschild lined up fourth for the event and was able to work his way around Donny Schatz, as well as front row starter Sam Hafertepe Jr. on the first lap to set his sights on Meyers. A number of times during the middle stages of the race, he gained ground in lapped traffic as Meyers was setting a blazing fast pace.

On the final restart with two laps to go, Haudenschild looked to the high side of turns one and two, with Meyers holding on to his lead down the back straightaway. Haudenschild again looked high in turns three and four as the pair motored their way toward the white flag. On the last lap, he again charged to the high side of turns one and two and was right on Meyers down the back straightaway. Just inches off the wall in turn four, Haudenschild was able squeeze by Meyers as the pair worked their way to the checkered flag.

Meyers wound up leading 24 laps en route to a runner-up finish as he looked for his second consecutive win at the high-banked half-mile.

“There’s just about one driver here that could have put it on the top like that and gone around you and that’s Haud (Jac Haudenschild) and I didn’t know he was behind me,” said Meyers after the race. “He made a good pass and he deserves to win. It’s unfortunate for our team. I thought we had that one, but it’s not yours until it’s over. It’s still a good bounce back after the crash we had the other night. Everyone is working very hard and we’re looking forward to the rest of the week.”

The 2009 World of Outlaws season opens on February 6 at Volusia Speedway Park in Florida, with the 38th Annual Alltel DIRTcar Nationals by UNOH.

Back