crankshaft end play

1981z28owner

1981z28owner
what causes a sbc crank to have too much end play. the forged 1182 onei got has .015. what can a guy do?

thanks
mike

Did you beat the balancer on with a hammer? If so you may have damaged the rear main bearing. Other than that i have no idea.....:confused: :D

Tom

endplay

The thrust surface on your crank may be worn. Assuming that you had the shaft ground, did the machine shop check the thrust surface? If the shaft had been ground before, it may have already had the thrust ground. This would require the use of an oversize thrust bearing. If the crank came out of a vehicle that had a manual transmission, it is likely that the thrust is worn.
DEREK

thrust

excessive wear is due to a torque converter coming apart and trying to shove the crank out the front of the engine. the natural tendancy is for the crank to move towards the rear. manual transmissions don't cause this problem. if this was in your car with an automatic, get the converter checked or replace it with a good one.

i am getting another set of bearings with a .010 bigger thrust. i bought the crank from a guy about 2 years ago. i think they probably cut it .010 and did not tell me about it.

Anyone want some H series .020 main bearings. were put in and tolerances checked, and that was it.

The crank ..like fat boy said..was probably in an automatic car at one time..and the thrust surface is worn. Machine shops generally will not cut that surface due having to use oversize bearings afterwards.

Try an OReilly's store. They will actually know what your talking about...and asking for. Or...part stop in Meadowbrook...Authorized Auto Parts in granite city....Performance Parts Plus in Pontoon Beach...Matt Johnsons Performance in St. Louis. Just to name a few

o reilly dont know. i checked with pat at performance parts, and he could not find anything. i know got a PN from summit, so i will call him monday if my new machinist cant get them.

thanks
mike

i got the bearings from Npt thursday and put the crank in last night and i now have .006 end play. so this problem is solved and time to start on the pistons tomorrow.

thanks to all.

Hey, having a similar problem with my Chevy 350 Engine.

Looked at all the clevite bearings.. none seem o address my endplay woes.. I have about .010 of endplay.. specs call for .006.

What I need is a Main bearing with about .004" added thickness.

Where do I get such a bearing?

Who is Npt? what is their website?

Thanks in advance

-lionel

1990 Chevy Suburban 350 2500 4x4 167Kmiles

Hey, having a similar problem with my Chevy 350 Engine.

Looked at all the clevite bearings.. none seem o address my endplay woes.. I have about .010 of endplay.. specs call for .006.

What I need is a Main bearing with about .004" added thickness.

Where do I get such a bearing?

Who is Npt? what is their website?

Thanks in advance

-lionel

1990 Chevy Suburban 350 2500 4x4 167Kmiles

NPT is a Machine Shop / Engine Builder in Belleville, Illinois. He doesn't have a website but give him a call at 618-233-1344. His name is Bob. He should be able to answer any and all questions you may have.

Tom

Back