Crate LM vs. LM

pedal2medal

When It Rains, It Pours
I was just thinking, people say Crate racing is a cheaper way to go, but when it all boils down to it, it's pretty much even. Crate motors are cheaper, but the fuel, is 5 somethin a gallon, while alcohol for regular late models are only 2 somethin a gallon, and most of the parts are regularly the same on both of the cars, so why is the payout such a big difference? Just a thought......

Crate Late models, as far as I have been told, take regular gas from the gas station, fill the truck and the car up at the same time, so you are talking $2.80-$3 a gallon. From the guys I have talked with, Crates are the cheaper way to go.

Alot of your late models run on racing gas. They got away from methanol because of all the big shows with lots of laps cost them too much rear percentage, if you actually had enough fuel to even finish. Watched the crates at Fredrock. They were enjoyable, but no where near as fast.

Another major savings, is the tires. If I'm not mistaken the crates are only aloud to use hard tires which last longer. The engines produce far less hp so they have less stress and should last longer. Everyone is even on engine and tires saving major $$$$$!!!!

if one rule needs fixed, its the shock rule. Cannister and high end shocks have their place in racing, just not in economy minded classes. I know, I know, you say they save money in long run, but that is distorted. Your typical LM with standard shocks can run great on 1 lf, 2 different rf, 3 LR, and 1 RR. Thats a total of 7 shocks. At $200 each= $1400. Or you could opt for double adjustables(which I'm not sure should be legal either), 1 shock per wheel at $400= $1600 or you can run remote cannister stlye shocks. Your looknig at $600 per shock= $2400 per set. I also think alot of these guys would be faster if they didn't "shock" themselves out of the ballpark. Put a $350.00 claim on shocks, that would work

Besides the expensive shocks I think they should have only had 1 motor to start with instead of the choice between the 2..Even though the 602 motor gets a weight break the 150 lbs. is not enough to even it up!!!!JMO

The also do need to police the fuel some guys are running. Taking random fuel samples is probably a good idea.

I wouldn't be suprised to see claim rules on shocks next season.

Alot of your late models run on racing gas. They got away from methanol because of all the big shows with lots of laps cost them too much rear percentage, if you actually had enough fuel to even finish. Watched the crates at Fredrock. They were enjoyable, but no where near as fast.
Did you not see Bill Nickleson totally walk away from
the entire field in his
Weir Chevrolet crate engine 602
in the B Mod class...I think that says something for
the speed of the crate engine, given the fact that
this was Bill's 1st time on the new Fredrock track,
ond only his 3rd time behind the wheel of a B Mod...

The 602 is winning races. The 602 also won the opening night at Tri-City with Mark Oller behind the wheel. Chris Winters won this past Sunday with a 602 at Jefferson County Raceway (Mt.Vernon). Tanner English has won at Paducah with a 602 and Shane Cockrum won a number of races with a 602.

Speaking of Mark Oller. I have a ?.
Does he run the same car at Tri-City and I-55?
I know he is in the Crate class at Tri-City. Does he have a different car or what at I-55 in the Super Late Models?

that is what i was thinking too. but i was at a super late model race in ga last year and a crate won it. it was a 100 lapper and the supers kept having tire issues guess they were burning them off and the crate mopped them up good. so that is why i was wondering if he was running his crate against the supers.

Did you not see Bill Nickleson totally walk away from
the entire field in his Weir Chevrolet crate engine 602
in the B Mod class...I think that says something for
the speed of the crate engine, given the fact that
this was Bill's 1st time on the new Fredrock track,
ond only his 3rd time behind the wheel of a B Mod...

Did anyone notice that Bob said the CRATE was in a B-MOD not a LM??? Run away is an understatement, had the yellow not come out he could have lapped. Look at the You Tube videos...
http://www.stlracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94897

I was just thinking, people say Crate racing is a cheaper way to go, but when it all boils down to it, it's pretty much even. Crate motors are cheaper, but the fuel, is 5 somethin a gallon, while alcohol for regular late models are only 2 somethin a gallon, and most of the parts are regularly the same on both of the cars, so why is the payout such a big difference? Just a thought......

Your not right about the fuel. I know very few latemodels that run Alcohol, and I get 111octane race gas for $4.25. When the crates run something other than 89-91octane gas they lose HP. Only thing they need to worry about is people adding Nitro-Propane to the gas, Its the only true power additive thats worth the effort. But it will damage stuff if not carefull.
Also a super doesnt have to have a 15-30k motor. I do have one but been using a little 360 steel block so far this year. Still makes mid 700hp but cost me a little over 6k to get together. The All alum motor makes almost 800hp but costs more to maintain, at least thats been my experience over the last 12years running these cars. I also have a ULMA Limited latemodel I got 12k into, its an all steel motor. Really wished I'd just bought a 602 then I'd been able to run the CARS or FastTrack stuff when not running the open car. I do have 3complete cars and can tell you on the lesser hp car it sure is easier to justify spending a little more on light suspension parts, Shocks are also the big issue I do run the better gas shocks on the Open car, But run the twin tube double adj. on the limited. If I had a crate which my third car will probably be next year, it already has the best and lightest spindles and control arms ect. Its easier to justify spending the money on those pieces because its not in the motor. And it makes up for the Heavier Steel motor having light front end parts.
So I agree with your assumption it really costs about the same, at least for me it would. Others that have only one car and really have to skimp, Sure its cheaper. But the competition sets the standard. If you cant keep up you'll get discouraged and either quit or make the upgrade. It really just lowers the startup costs to get your feet wet, then when you get the bug and want to step up you already have the knowledge and most of the equipment to get there.
3-4 years ago I really was against Crates but I see the light now and see what good they can bring. I just hope the Supers dont lose anymore tracks for weekly shows like MCS, The traveling series sometimes are a pain to follow especially when a hauler get single digit fuel milage.
Payouts Thats another issue, I would definatly get the crate if it wasnt so little to win at most places. It should be more payout than it is.

Back