Dale Earnhardt, Inc., Michael Waltrip parting ways in 2006

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
FOXSports.com
Posted: 28 minutes ago

NASCAR TV ALERT: Watch Michael Waltrip on SPEED Channel's Trackside at 7 p.m. ET for more on this announcement and possible news about his ride for next year.

Dale Earnhardt Incorporated (DEI) and Michael Waltrip announced today they will no longer be together beginning in 2006.
The DEI No. 15 NAPA Chevrolet has been driven by Michael Waltrip, a fan-favorite, in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series for the past five seasons where he earned four victories, including two Daytona 500 wins in 2001 and 2003.

"All of us at DEI want to thank Michael for all his contributions to our organization and wish him well as he moves on in his career," said Richie Gilmore, DEI's Vice President of Motorsports.

"Dale and Teresa gave me an opportunity with a winning organization that I have been proud to be an integral part of for the last five years," Waltrip said. "My professional relationship with DEI is ending, but my personal relationships have ties that are deep-rooted. Therefore, my decision to leave DEI is a difficult one. Our individual visions for the future are taking different courses, but our goals are the same- to be successful in the premier division of NASCAR."

"DEI's NASCAR Nextel Cup focus for 2006," continued Gilmore, "will be to sharpen every entity of our race teams by preparing the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet, driven by Martin Truex Jr., and the No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet driven by Dale Earnhardt Jr., for the championship. Additionally, we are working diligently with our current partner, NAPA, on returning to the No. 15 car."

i just wonder if they waited till dale jr. passed mikey in the point standings, then they made this announcement. i guess it would have been difficult to fire your most successful driver so far this year. i agree with the previous post; this was coming for awhile. that's why mikey signed a 1 year deal last year. art.

I am really sorry to hear this news. I wish Mike Waltrip all the best and hope he will be happy where ever he goes next. Dale Jr. will do just fine and he does have Martin Truex, he does really good. I am not sure who they will have now that Mikey is leaving, but I am thinking "Kenny Schrader":cool: They are very close and keep getting closer. I wish them all the best.:)

schrader would definitely be a popular choice, but with schrader's federated deal, i kinda doubt NAPA would approve.

put melvin in the napa chevy....hahaha.....just kidding all, dont get mad!!!!

does anyone know how long schrader has with schwans?

i was watching trakside live and wallace kinda hinted waltrip would be with miller lite. rusty said and i quote" i know where youll be next year and waltrip said tell me where and rusty said something to the effect i cant tell you yet so take it for what its worth just speculation.

The one that should be looking for a ride is driving the 8 car. Once he realizes that his name has a Jr. at the end and not a Sr. he might reach his potential. There was only one Dale Earnhardt.

politics folks, and nothing more.
DEI will do well and so will michael.
kinda wish they would have signed him for another year, who knows ,michael could have blossomed with one more year with the eurys.
as far as him going to the 2,hmmm ,kinda interesting.
he is a very good spokesman!

Charity Racer said:
The one that should be looking for a ride is driving the 8 car. Once he realizes that his name has a Jr. at the end and not a Sr. he might reach his potential. There was only one Dale Earnhardt.

I am sorry you feel that way, but you are so wrong. Dale Jr. is a Earnhardt no matter what. And if you are a fan of the late Dale Earnhardt, your choice of words were way out of line. He is making more money than you and he is a Earnhadt, You are just a fan. Seems to me I would rather be following in my late father's footsteps. The best thing was to get rid of Waltrip, (and I like Waltrip) D.J. is just better his company. Wait and see. (JMO)

Back