Daniel Returns to Action With Strong Results in Nebraska and Iowa

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - KNOXVILLE, Iowa (Aug. 27, 2018) - After a couple of weeks off, Mason Daniel was back at the track last weekend and found himself on the podium after finishing second during the Speedy Bill Smith Memorial at I-80 Speedway. He also competed in the season finale at the famed Knoxville Raceway the ensuing night when he charged to a sixth-place finish.

Daniel hadn't been in action since Aug. 4 during the 360 Knoxville Nationals. The week after that problems with the race trailer prevented his team from competing and the following week Mother Nature interrupted their originally scheduled plans.

077cbb96-e8bd-4b9c-ad1a-26b71328135b.jpg
"It had been 20-some days since we last raced so we were all anxious to get back to the track," he said. "It was nice to get back in the seat and knock the rust off a bit."

The weekend began on Friday at I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Neb., where Daniel blasted from the sixth starting spot to win the third heat race during the Carpet Land Nebraska 360 Sprints event. That earned him high-point honors for the night. The native of Springville, Calif., drew the No. 6 for his main event starting position. Daniel charged to the front again and was closing on the leader when a red flag with four laps to go put the lead pack in open track.

"We had a great car all night long," he said. "I got to second with about four to go and was catching the leader and was right on his bumper. I wish it had stayed green because I think we had a chance to win. During the red, my tires cooled off and we really didn't have anything to compete with the leader once we went back green."

At Knoxville Raceway the following night, Daniel finished fifth in the first heat race after qualifying was cancelled because of a two-hour power outage. In the 20-lap main event, Daniel lined up 15th and steadily worked his way forward to cross the finish line sixth to wrap up his rookie season at the historic half-mile oval.

"I struggled a little bit in the heat race due to some poor decisions so that put us back at the start of the main event," he shared. "The guys worked all night to get the car to where I liked it. We were fast and got to sixth with about four to go and started battling for fifth and I made a mistake or two and just couldn't get it done. To pass nine cars in just 20 laps is still a good accomplishment, but I really wanted to get in the top five."

Daniel produced a stout rookie season at Knoxville Raceway, where he earned a win and a fast time honor in qualifying. At one point of the season he had a four-race top-10 streak at the track. Along with his win, another highlight of the season for Daniel was finishing third on the opening night of the 360 Knoxville Nationals against a star-studded field.

"We had some ups and down," he said. "I feel like we had speed all year. I loved racing at Knoxville. It's a great facility and their staff is second to none. They are always happy to see you and thank you for coming. It's the best dirt track in the nation. I am really looking forward to going back there next year."

Daniel's plans for this week are contingent on Mother Nature. The first option is to make his 410ci winged sprint car debut with the MOWA Series at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Ill., on Friday and then race with the Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour presented by SawBlade.com on Saturday and Sunday at Lake Ozark Speedway in Eldon, Mo. If rain affects that plan, the second option is to compete at Jackson Motorplex in Jackson, Minn., on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

QUICK RESULTS -

Aug. 24 - I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Neb. - Heat race: 1 (6); Feature: 2 (6).

Aug. 25 - Knoxville Raceway in Knoxville, Iowa - Heat race: 5 (3); Feature: 6 (15).

SEASON STATS

33 races, 2 wins, 11 top fives, 18 top 10s, 24 top 15s, 29 top 20s

UP NEXT -

Friday at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Ill., and Saturday and Sunday Lake Ozark Speedway in Eldon, Mo., OR Friday through Sunday at Jackson Motorplex in Jackson, Minn.

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MasonDRacing

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Dillon Risk Management

Dillon Risk Management is an award-winning risk management insurance company located in Granite Bay, Calif. For more information, visit http://www.DillonRisk.com.

"Dillon Risk Management sponsored us with the midget last year and have stepped up to be a part of our sprint car program this year," Daniel said. "We're grateful for their support and look forward to a lot of success together."

Daniel would also like to thank Young's Commercial Transfer and Precise Racing Products for their continued support.

Back