Daytona Track worker killed

crwchf66

Grondzki Motorsports
from 4m.net
A track worker was killed today at Daytona. It was in a compact-car race. The race was under caution, when a driver was trying to catch-up to the rest of the field when he hit the worker. The guy was cleaning up debris from the caution. They said the driver hit the worker at nearly 100mph. Don't remember the workers name, but he was 44 years old. The race car driver is Handicapped.
He can't move his legs, so he has controls on the steering wheel. Hate to hear news like that.

that sure is some sad news; but i can't wait for the people to start screaming about what an inappropriate post this is.:D

Very sad news. God bless the track worker. My prayers go out to his family, to the driver, and all those involved in this tragedy.

The post is not inappropriate but the article sure is. The accident had nothing to do with the driver being a parapelgic. It had to do with speeding during the yellow. Why are they focusing about the driver's overcoming of a disability instead of the worker. I think it is great that the driver has overcome this disability and can compete but save that for a different article. Instead, let's hear about the worker, his family, and learn something about him as a person. No, instead the writer turns it into a story about the driver. What a poor display of reporting and an insult to Roy Weaver III, the poor man killed.

Couldnt agree more, I read that article this morning before I left, and I was thinking the same thing; heres this driver who ran over a track worker under yellow, and he's getting all the glory for overcoming his disability and racing. I want to know the whole story on how the poor track worker got hit, not how the guy who hit him is a hero.

ITS UNFORTUNATE BUT THATS HOW IT ALWAYS IS. IF YOU WATCH THE NEWS, THEY TELL YOU MORE ABOUT THE MURDERER THAN THEY DO THE VICTIM.

THE THING THAT I THINK IS REALLY UNFORTUNATE IS THE FACT THE ARTICLE CENTERS MORE ON THE GUY BEING HADICAPPED. I DON'T THINK IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT. IT WAS JUST AN UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT AND MOST LIKELY A TRAGIC CASE OF MISS COMMUNICATION. I DON'T THINK HIS DISABILITY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. ITS ALMOST LIKE THE WRITER WANTS YOU TO ENTERTAIN THE TOUGHT THAT IT MAY HAVE.

SO ACTUALLY, I DON'T THINK THE ARTICLE DOES EITHER MAN ANY JUSTICE.J/M/O

If you have not raced against the person in question, then to say that his handicap had nothing to do with his failure to miss a track worker is strictly speculation and may or may not be true. I have raced against 2 physically impaired racers. 1 was missing a leg, and used a handbrake. The other was missing an eye. In both cases their impairments affected their abilities. I know, because I raced against them in close quarters at high speed, and I could see their actions were different from other racers. I do not know about this particular racer, but someone does. My condolences to the family and friends of Roy Weaver.

Rather than his handicap, it is my belief that lack of experience was the largest of the contributing factor. If you remember an incident in the ARCA race several years ago, a driver (we all know who he is, so I won't embarass him by bringing up his name again) ran into the pace car on a caution lap. The size of the track and the speeds that go along with it can be hypnotic to the lesser-experienced racer. It is truly unfortunate that this tragedy occurred. Maybe the Speedway will require a stricter rookie orientation in the future. Indianapolis would be a good model.

what about the spotter?

The spotter should have known that there was someone on the track. He should have been able to let the driver know.

I totally agree about the Handicap issue. It doesn't have anything to do with the situation unless something was broken that helps him control the car. I'm guessing that going through a corner at 100+mph and looking to catch up, he simply didn't see the worker.

I also think that since he was racing in the series, he had probably MORE than proved his ability. Look at S.C.O.R.E. Off road racing if you have any doubts of what a paraplegic can do in a racecar(truck). I have seen this guy put it on alot of the series best drivers....in fact he is one of the best, hand controls and all. I know of at least one person in racing in our area who has lost an eye, and he's dam fast. My best friend also lost an eye, I have excellent vision but he sometimes sees things that I miss while we are hunting and such.

I really think that the fact of him being handicapped had nothing to do with the outcome of this incident and it was very tacky for the reporter to even bring it up.:mad: I just feel sad for the family and friends

MOTORHEAD,

I AM SURE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS TRUE UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

BUT, I WOULD REALLY HAVE A HARD TIME BELIEVING THAT WAS THE CASE IN THIS INCIDENT. I GUESS I'M GIVING THIS RACE ASSOCIATION THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, THAT THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO COMPETE (AT DAYTONA ESPECIALLY), WHO WAS NOT PHYSICALLY CAPABLE TO HANDLE ANY SITUATION.

I SUPPOSE THERE IS SOMETHING TO PUT BLAME ON. THIS DEFINITELY COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED.

I GUESS MY CONCLUSION WOULD BE, THAT ITS JUST A VERY UNFORTUNATE FLUKE ACCIDENT.

THIS SITUATION IS NOT UNUSUAL TO THESE RACES. I'M SURE IT HAPPENS JUST ABOUT EVERY RACE.

Here is a link to an article that I found on Jayski:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/03NewsHEAD01SPD021004.htm

From the article, it sound like the worker may not have been cleared to go out onto the track. It was probably a combination of things that all lined up for this to happen. Inexperienced driver on a fast track catching up to the field, worker on the track in an area that the spotter could not see, either the worker not cleared or incorrectly cleared to go on the track, the worker being on the other end of the track from the accident where nobody may have been looking for him, etc. Unless some of the hand controls failed to work, my guess is that his handicap did not have a part in it.

Back