Defending Champ Jimmy Mars Heads Ever-Building Entry List For Fourth Annual Firecracker 100 On June

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
After Thrilling Charge From Rear To Win One Year Ago, Wisconsin Driver Eyes New Expanded Format Of Summer Spectacular

SARVER, PA – May 25, 2010 – Jimmy Mars authored one of the most stirring big-money performances of the 2009 season when he roared back from a mid-race pit stop to win the Firecracker 100 presented by GottaRace.com at Lernerville Speedway.

The Menomonie, Wis., star would prefer to run a less-stressful road to Victory Lane when he returns to the western Pennsylvania track for the bigger-and-better fourth annual World of Outlaws Late Model Series mega-event on June 24-26. But if he learned anything from his memorable drive one year ago, it's that nothing is impossible on the spectacular four-tenths-mile oval.

"I think that track is awesome," Mars said of the finely-prepared Lernerville Speedway. "There's a lot of tracks where you know you're in trouble when you don't start up front or you get a flat and have to go to the rear, but not there. I was able to come from the back and win because I could drive all over that place to try and make things happen."

Mars, 38, heads the ever-growing entry list for the 2010 Firecracker 100 weekend, which has expanded to a three-day festival of speed and fun for the first time. A pair of complete WoO LMS preliminary programs topped by 30-lap A-Mains paying $6,000 to win will be featured on Thurs., June 24, and Fri., June 25, helping to set the lineups for an action-packed card on Sat., June 26, that includes heat races, B-Mains, the $3,000-to-win 'Uncle Sam 30' Non-Qualifiers' Race and the prestigious Firecracker 100 with a $30,000 first-place prize.

The exciting new format has a big booster in Mars, who is part of a talent-laden pre-registration roster that includes former WoO LMS champions Josh Richards, Darrell Lanigan, Steve Francis, Tim McCreadie, Scott Bloomquist (inaugural Firecracker 100 in 2007) and Billy Moyer; Outlaw travelers Chub Frank, Rick Eckert, Tim Fuller, Brady Smith, Shane Clanton, Clint Smith, Austin Hubbard, Russell King, Brent Robinson and Jill George; '08 Firecracker 100 victor Brian Birkhofer; and western Pennsylvania standouts such as Alex Ferree, Lynn Geisler, Gregg Satterlee and Matt Lux.

"I really like this new deal with the preliminary nights," Mars said of the Firecracker 100 schedule enhancement that provides more all-out racing for fans and teams. "I think all crown-jewel events should have a preliminary-night format. With a regular two-day show you're so intense just trying to get into the feature because you know it's tough to have only one shot at making it, but with preliminary nights you have more time to learn something and you're not so worried about going home with nothing if you have a problem."

Mars experienced the disappointment of a fruitless 800-mile trip to Lernerville for the Firecracker 100, failing to qualify for the 2008 edition after being involved in a heat-race incident. But he roared back in impressive fashion last year, pulling off a dramatic rally to capture the first of the unprecedented four $30,000-plus victories he recorded during his amazing 2009 season.

A flat left-rear tire on lap 27 of last year's Firecracker 100 set the stage for Mars's thrilling comeback. He had already advanced from the 18th starting spot to eighth place when he slowed and then headed to the pit area, but who knew he would be able to restart at the rear and still win the race?

"At the time I got the flat I was kind of riding," recalled Mars. "I was letting everything spread out, trying to be conservative. I might have taken it too easy because I got run over (and cut a tire).

"When I went back out I definitely was more aggressive. I knew that being so far back my chances of getting lapped were greater, so I sort of forced the issue a little bit more.

"And the racetrack came to my liking," he continued. "It sealed over – got rid of the cushion and the traction on the bottom. There was no distinct groove, and I had a car that I could put anywhere."

Mars completed his charge with the race winding down, passing longtime leader Lanigan on lap 94 and marching on to hoist the unique Firecracker 100 trophy in Victory Lane. He earned a total of $30,950 for his first career win on the WoO LMS.

"It was definitely one of the most memorable wins I ever had," said Mars, who went on to win three races with $50,000 first-place checks – the USA Nationals at his home state's Cedar Lake Speedway, the North-South 100 and the Dirt Track World Championship – during the 2009 season. "There were a lot of things we had to overcome, and it was kind of the springboard that got us rolling last year."

Barring any accidents during the next month of racing, Mars plans to enter this year's Firecracker 100 behind the wheel of the same MB Customs car he drove to victory in '09. He's already looking forward to defending his Firecracker 100 title and partaking in some of the pre- and post-race activities that have become a trademark of the weekend, including concerts following the programs on Thursday and Friday; a driver/fan horseshoes tournament, weenie roast and Ms. Firecracker pageant on Saturday afternoon; an enormous autograph session under the grandstand prior to Saturday night's first green flag; and a pulsing display of pyro to send off the 100-lapper's field.

"It's more than a race – it's an event," Mars said of the Firecracker 100. "You have a great race on a great track, plus you have the camaraderie of the racers and the fans all weekend.

"I like to have a beer after the races and hang out with the fans, and that's something you see (at Lernerville). It's definitely a fan-friendly event. People can come over and talk to the racers and have a good time."

Advance tickets to the Firecracker 100 presented by GottaRace.com are now on sale and can be purchased now by clicking on the 'Buy Tickets Now!' link at www.lernerville.com or by calling the speedway office at 724-353-1511 Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

The best deal available is an advance three-day reserved ticket package priced at $59 for adults and $19 for kids 10-and-under. A free pit pass for the Thurs., June 24, and Fri., June 25, shows and priority access to autograph session on Sat., June 26, is included if the package is purchased by June 23.

A limited number of reserved camping spots are also available by calling the speedway office, and entry forms for the inaugural Ms. Firecracker pageant can be downloaded at www.lernerville.com.

For more information on the Firecracker 100 presented by GottaRace.com and the WoO LMS, visit www.lernerville.com or www.worldofoutlaws.com.

The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including Arizona Sport Shirts (Official Apparel Company), Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Hoosier Racing Tires (Official Racing Tires), STP (Official Fuel Treatment), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel), DirtonDirt.com (Hard Charger Award) and Chizmark & Larson Insurance; in addition to contingency sponsors Eibach Springs, MSD Ignition, Ohlins Shocks, Pink Carburetors, Pro Power Engines, Quartermaster, Rocket Chassis, R2C Performance and Wrisco Aluminum.

Back