Does Gateway Have A Shot at Nextel????

Does Gateway Have a Chance at a Nextel Date??

• YES

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • NO

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

kenseth_fan

Turn Left Go Fast
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Though track officials say the St. Louis-area Gateway International Raceway in Illinois has a shot a hosting a Nextel Cup race, insiders consider that shot a long one.

Over the years, the 1.25-mile oval, infield road course and quarter-mile drag strip has lured CART, the Indy Racing League, the Craftsman Truck series, the Busch series and NHRA drag racing.

Matt Strelo, vice president and general manager of Gateway in Madison, Ill., points to the track's assets. The numbers show St. Louis fans watch the races on television and about 50,000 showed up for last Saturday's Busch race, which seems to indicate Gateway would be able to sell its existing 70,000 or so seats for a Nextel Cup race.

"We've got a pretty decent story to tell here,'' he said of the track. "We think '06 is the time to tell it.''

But the track has its detractors. Hampered by limited parking, outdated infrastructure and the construction of newer facilities, Gateway has lost the top open-wheel series and has been left with the trucks, NHRA and Busch series as its top acts.

Kenny Wallace, a veteran NASCAR driver, said he would like nothing better than to see the track host a Nextel Cup race. But the St. Louis native said the track -- limited in expansion possibilities by the Mississippi River to the west -- would need a drastic makeover to draw serious attention.

"My opinion is that first, the track is too big,'' said Wallace, whose brothers Rusty and Mike also race in NASCAR. "They should cut it in half. Make it like Richmond (International Raceway in Virginia). You need more room and use all of that (the area north of the track) as parking. You can't expect to shuttle people in for a Nextel Cup race. They landlocked themselves in.''

But Strelo said the track could solve the parking problem by using shuttle service to the parking lots used for Busch Stadium and the Edward Jones Dome, just across the river in downtown St. Louis.

No offense to Matt Strelo and gang but I don't see Gateway getting a Cup date any time soon. Not only would the track and facilities need a lot of updating but the surrounding infrastructure and parking cannot support Cup crowds. And working with the track for ticketing is a nightmare. I know various sponsors who have had an awful time and it took 6wks for someone to return a call when I was putting quotes together for Toyota! Nextel is also looking at the bigger demographics like the Southwest, Northwest and New York. It would be nice to have a race in STL but I'm not optimistic.

Like everyone said not enough parking or seating. Plus it is too close to KC and Chicago whichalready have Cup dates.

Not a chance. Just an opinion but St.Louis don't have a chance at Nextel.Not this year or in the future. The only way I see it happening is if Nextel would happen to go to more than 1 "league". And even then,I don't think Gateway, as it is, would compare to other tracks who would want a piece of the action.

Years ago a man named Bruton Smith came to Saint Louis area to look at some options to build a track. Build and people will come they say and they do if ran correctly. But the local politicians were so busy getting a football team that year that never materialized until several years later. The tax payers built the stadium and can't afford to go if you can get a ticket. The track he was looking to build ultimately went to TeXas .... Saint Louis dropped the ball when dealing with Bruton. Tax payers would not have paid a dime and the income generated by 1 race a year equaled several Super Bowls that have yet to come to Saint Louis. Yep we lost our chances then. But then again the politicians probally never heard of racing and had no foresight of what this community could stand to gain if BRUTON was just paid ALOT of attention to. OH WELL Live and learn :(

The politicians also dropped the ball in Kansas City, but thank goodness that Kansas government stepped in and got the Kansas Speedway built.

Back