engine help

dukman7

I am thinking about getting into racing i need some help though. should i buy a roller or buy a turn key car. if i buy the roller should i just buy a short block and add the rest of the stuff or just buy a race ready motor?
thanks,
Blake

Really is your call. If you know the person who you buy from and trust them then a turn key car is a good choice. However, you never know what is in the motor or how well it has been kept so building a motor is a safer way to go. You can get a roller alot cheaper without a motor for sure unless you find a sell out situation and can buy the whole thing for cheap. Also, if you can go watch the car run and ask to pit for the team that night if you are looking at a turn key car, then you can see what you are buying and then bring a trailer with you and pay after the races are over and load it on your trailer. Not recomended to buy something and pay for it then show up a few days later to pick it up. Sometimes there are things missing or replaced with lower grade parts that you didn't pay for if you know what i mean. JMO hope this helps..

alright thanks that will help. i dont know if i have the funds right now but when i get some cash i will be looking hard.

What kind or car are you wanting ,... Drag or Dirt. What class are you wanting to run?

Don

You will never have enough money. Be warned racing is a chronic illness.....

Thats very true,...it's worse then any drugs out there. It ought to be illegal. But hey,...look at it like this,...it won't nickle and dime you to death,,,cause it will be too busy hundred dollaring you to death.:eek:

But all that being said, it is fun.

Don

Can anybody help me? I have a 1970 Nova with a 496 stoker motor, the motor has a 566/566 comp retro cam, 850 Holley, Eagle rotating assembly, 10.5.1 compression, AFR-325 heads, MSD-pro-billet distributor, Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers, 1 inch spacer, and a Edelbrock Air-gap rpm intake, Hooker Super Comp Headers 3 inch with some Flowmaster Super 44, 200-r4(Calif. Performance Transmission)2600 stall with some 3.73 out back, and the block is a car with 4-bolt main. I think this is a good a combo, but the 1st time we fired it up, it was shaking so bad that we had to shut it off!!, come to find out the trans hood had crack!! but Art Carr @ CPT send me another one asap, so I thought I was rid of the shaking?...NOT!!, then come to find out that the driver side header was on the frame, we fix that, still shaking!. You can feel it all threw steering colum and just watch the motor to much shaking!!! my buddy said the timing is off, I don't know can sombody HELP?!?!

You need to find out if the Rotating assy was balanced internally or externally and you have the appropriate balancer and flywheel. A mismatch will give a huge vibration

You need to find out if the Rotating assy was balanced internally or externally and you have the appropriate balancer and flywheel. A mismatch will give a huge vibration

X2 on this one,...Ballance issue all the way.

Back