Engines: Buy or Build

busch10

What do you guys recommend? I've got some experience building my own engines but I'm wondering if I can be competitive in the STL area.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

?

:eek:c'mon guys, I saw that hoffman1d was interested in some heads on here yesterday, now if that is Dean Hoffman and he builds his own engines I wouldn't spend 90% of my budget on a $15K engine from a big name builder. I understand about reliability with the big names but I'd take a lot more pride in winning or doing well with an engine I built myself. I'm just wondering if I can run with a 720HP Hovis on D40's with an engine I built myself. I'm pretty sure I can build 600+ HP for a lot less than $10K.

I'm moving to the area from Alaska in June. I've got about a 10K budget for a car and I dont want to deal with the grey areas in the sportsman rules. I ran a pro-stock in Iowa/Wisconsin in the early 00's and ran into the same grey areas, some guys ran a stock 4link, some ran a home-made three link, then all of the sudden people showed up stock clipped late models. I even built 434 that pulled 506hp with a two-barrel rochester, it was getting way out of control. I swore off any class like that so it'll be mods or lates for me, even if it means building up slow and not being a front runner right away. (I still have the drivetrain out of that car);)

Nick

Build ya a good 383 with splayed caps. With a good set of heads and alky your at 600-650. Most bang for the buck you can possibly get. You can dyno for around 600 bucks to eliminate the guess work.

Performance Automotive in Bethalto. When your ready pm me for the number, he can help you with any machine work, hes doing up a handful of blocks like that now. If you need any parts I have alot of stuff.

Back