"Experienced" drivers in beginner class

racefan2

I am getting sick and tired of week after week at Highland having yet another "experienced" driver in the Sportsman class. I find it sad that Craig Mascil (sorry -- don't know the correct spelling) builds cars and puts seasoned drivers in them just to win money. This should be a class that drivers have fun in and learn how to drive before advancing to another class. How many years did Klein drive a Late Model and now he's in a Sportsman? I would say at least six or seven. How about Mike Harrison? Just as long as Klein. Same goes for Bielong. And now Thornton is driving. I feel sorry for guys like Bohnenstiehl, Ernst, Kneer, etc., guys who are out getting experience and having fun-- it is not fair to them.

Nobody can tell me any different that these guys are not doing it just for the money. Pretty soon, Faust, Frankie, Zobrist, all these guys will be showing up with their car AND a sportsman. They're almost stupid not to. I just think it is sad. Heck, maybe Mascil can have a whole field of cars by the end of the season.

If he wants to race a sportsman, why can't he at least get a guy who is dying to race, but doesn't have the money?? Nope, he's got to find somebody who's going to MAKE him money.

Why doesn't Maskill (sp?) put his money into a late model? Instead he goes to the rules meeting and tries to turn a lower-budget class into high dollar racing. If he has so much money, maybe it's time to move up a class.

There were 12 sportsman cars. The son had to work midnights, so he couldn't make it. Dick Taylor didn't drive his LM last night...maybe we should have asked him to drive our sportsman...!!

Debbie

The Sportsman class is not only a class for beginning drivers, but for drivers who may not have the finances to put an expensive late model on the track on a weekly basis. I am sure a 'late model' driver that is in a less expensive class is there more for the lower cost of racing than the higher return of winning. Finishing in the top 5 in a late model is a higher payout than winning a sportsman race. I enjoy watching drivers compete in other classes. It shows their true talent and not just the car that they have. You just can't help but love to watch Schrader step out of his Nextel Cup car and slied around the track in a dirt car.

I Agree To An Extent With These Opinions. But, Sportsman Cars Aren't A True Beginner Class. Bomber/puerstocks Ect.....are.

Just Do Not Beat Up The Drivers Who Drive For Him, They Race Because They Love It. Racing Is Also A Business/hobby, You Make A Financial Decision To Invest Money Into A Car To Promote Your Sponsors, Make As Much Money As You Can And Try To Cut Your Expenses(crashes And Repairs), No Matter What Class Your In You Should Always Get Joy And Pride From Being Involved In What You Race. Craig Puts A Lot Of Money And Work Into His Cars And Enjoys Watching His Cars Finish Up Front. He Has Great Drivers Who Drive For Him Because He Is A Nice Guy. I Bet Some People Would B**** If He Put Me In His Car And I Won A Feature, Then He Would Be Cheating. Nextel Is The Same Way About Cup Drivers Running Busch Or Truck Races. They Feel It Is A Good Way To Get Car Counts And Fans To Come To Races So Mabey It Is A Good Business Decision???

Good Luck To Everyone No Matter What You Drive
It Racing.......enjoy It:) :)

The Sportsman Class At Most Tracks Have Fairly Strict Rules. As Long As His Cars Are Within Them What Can You Say? There Is Always Gonna Be The Guy Who Has More Money Than The Next Guy And Can Afford The Best, No Matter What Class It Is. You Could Take The Best "sportsman Only Driver" And Put Him In The #2 Or #2h And He Will Probably Do The Same As The Mod And Late Model Guys Are Doing With Them. I Am Not So Quick To Say Harrison, Kleine Do What They Do Just Because They Race Other Classes. Its A Combination Of Good Drivers And Good Equiptment....j/m/o

ther are several guys with 7000 to 12000 dollar engines in these cars maskel may have started it but several othersfolowed.didnt andy casper invest close to 20 000 in his car. I am not bashing him he is a beginner and that is about what t would take to be competitive at highland.maskel is not winning money with those cars do the math it is 300 to win add how much fuel costs to run anight plus tires towing expense it is not profitable.why do you feel tory and the bohnenstiehls should be the big dogs anyway they also have high dollarequipment maybe they should move up,by theway the drivers voted the ridiculous engine rules in ther anyway they should have been smarter than that.....by the way that was agreat sportsman feature tuesay night.the oficials erewrong though

Andy Casper raced at Tri City a couple of Saturdays ago and was very competitive. The rules are more confining and cars are teched every night.

I think it is neat to watch all classes no matter who the driver is if he runs 3-4 different classes in 1 night its all about racing and having fun and making some money if you can to repair your car if its a hobby or money in your pocket if its a career!!

the only reason that DAVE THORTON is racing MELTONS sportsman is because melton doents have a motor that is THORTONS motor and like THORTON probably said if anybody is going to blow my motor it showed be me

If all the LM guys started bringing sportsman cars to the track as well, just to make some easy cash, the cash would not be so easy now would it?

I do love the "visible stock" rule though, that was pretty incredible listening to that get voted in. I was sitting there thinking, tech will be something like this:

"That your motor?"
"Yep, that's it."
"Ok, as long as you got one, you're legal."

lol

Does it really matter who is in the car? Are you a race fan or just jealous that someone with experience that is in good equipment? From a true fans view, the race on Tuesday was exciting as you could get, not for one or two laps but the whole race. Could less experienced drivers race side by side for that long? I don't think so.

First off, I'm not complaining about any driver in any class, I don't see anything wrong with those drivers running in the different classes, they like to race. But everyone gets on here and gripes about these mod and LM drivers running in the sportsman class, why don't ya complain about Kenny Schrader coming and driving a LM or a mod?? And like I said, I'm not complaining about it cause I like watching everyone race, no matter what class they decide to run in!!!!! :) :)

i think it was crap for depew to open the rules and allow berts,brinns,and 4bbls. he should have stuck with track rules. kinda put his weekly sportsman regulars who were there at a disadvantage. of course mr maskal has all them goodies!! so go figure.

Back