Farmington: It's A Shame...

ghost67

...that if I want to bring my 7 year old and 8 year old sons, it costs me 18 bucks just to get in the gate. If I go to Pevely, (12 and under free) it only costs me ten bucks.
Farmington is a great little track, just wish they would be a bit more fan and family friendly like Pevely.

You must understand that there aren't many tracks around that 12 and under are free, I-55 is one of the exceptions. Probably because of the crowd draw every week they can afford to let kids in free, they more than likely make it up in concessions. Most tracks charge $5 for kids 5-12 years old.

Belle Clair is family friendly as well. Kids under 12 also get in for free with a paid adult.

Crazy fan makes a great point--tracks can more than make up for it in concessions income. Have you ever counted the number of rugrats in line at the concession stand at your local track lately? :)

Seriously though, the track champs of the 2020s, 2030s and beyond have to come from somewhere, and not every family can afford to get junior a 1/4 midget. Some will continue to grow up watching races and start out in a bomber or factory stock at a later age. Tracks need to understand that 10-year old in line today might be the 2025 LM track champ. You can never know. But you gotta get him/her hooked NOW. Letting him/her in for $0 now may be the only way he/she gets in if money is tight in his/her family.

Belle Clair also charges more per adult than Farmington does too. Farmington is only $8 for adults. Kids 12-6 is only $5 and kids 5 and under is FREE.

I look at it this way, there aren't many places you can go on the weekends with your kids for the cost of going to see a stock car race at your local dirt track, and you get three or four hours of entertainment, anywhere else your going to pay big bucks, especially to keep the kids happy. I guess what I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge our great sport which we all love. JMO.

I've Been Going To Stock Car Races All My Life. I Can Honestly Say, It Wasn't Until I Was Probably 9-10 That I Gave A Rats @$$ About What Was Happening On The Track. I Was Only Concerned With The Goodies At The Snack Bar And Playing King Of The Hill Behind The Back Straight At St.charles.

In My Opinion A Kid 10 Or Under Shouldn't Be Charged To Enter. A Track Should Charge $10 For Adults And Let The Kids In Free. If For No Other Reason Than It Sounds Better!.......j/m/o

Pitdrifter, your comments remind me of the old days at Godfrey when you'd have to step over and around the rugrats playing with Hot Wheels in the dust on the hill behind the backstretch stands.:) Given that was 10-15 years ago, I wonder how many of those kids are now 20-25 year-old racers--or at least regular fans?

that hill is still there pitdrifter,,,as a matter of fact,if you are heading south on 94 you can look down into the track,you can see the end of the front stright and turn one,,OH YA,almost forgot,the best dirt racing surface ever!!!!!! HEY,,when is old timmers night at bellclair?

Pevely....Mom, Dad, two kids $20

Farmington...Mom, Dad, two kids $26

Belleville....Mom, Dad, two kids $20

Millsey as a guy on tv says..."the spin stops here"

On top of Farmington being the highest price race track for admission, they are the worst track in the region for payout.

I understand that promoters have a lot of overhead BUT there our alot of other tracks that are doing very well and have cheaper admission prices and pay each class alot better then Farmington.

I Agree Fireball! If The Bowl Would'nt Have Been Pushed Out By The City And Would Have Had Some Money Behind It, It Could Have Been The Best Track Around.

With SCFR being the only open rules type sprint car track, how can you compare their payout to other tracks? Are you comparing Mods to Mods, and sportsman to sportsman? If so make sure you are not comparing IMCA mods to UMP, there is always a large payout difference between them, I think it is caused by the tire difference. I have never tried to run a track, and have never been in the books at one, to see how much is made on food, or if they would make up in gaining whole families and increased concessions if they did go to $10 adults and 12 and under free.

Maybe someone should have a poll, of people who go to SFCR but not every week, and of potential patrons, who would attend more, or start attending, if they let kids 12 and under in free, even if they raised adults to the standard $10. You would definately have a better chance at getting there attention with numbers of more people who would attend. When they have thier latemodel race I intend for my family to bring my children to watch us race, regardless of the children 12 and under price, if you bring more adults to help you controll the kids, it will break even, or save you money, and if you take into account the nice playground equipment that is behind the stands at SFCR, you might be getting something for the five bucks.

Over here in West Central Missouri, most tracks charge $10 for adults and $5-7 childern 7-12. A few exceptions are LA RAceway charges $6 for adults and $4 for childern, and $5 for seniors/military. and they run LM Mods 305 Sprints Streets Hobbys and Jr. Hobbys. Double X Speedway charges $5 for adults as does Dallas County Speedway. Springfield area tracks charges $8.

Dean,

In the modified class around this area there is not much if any difference in IMCA and UMP payout example Poplar Bluff, Malden(IMCA) pays the same as Pevely and Bellville(UMP) now that the Rock has up their pay, you have seen better cars more fans and the track seems to really be headed in the right direction.

I understand that sprint cars are the main attraction at SFCR but the track needs to think about the other classes as well. Im not trying to turn this into a ***** session but just speakin what I feel. Thanks for your input.

Belleville is the premiere family track in the area in my opinion. Pevely comes in a close second. They really understand how a kids enthusiasm can draw in the casual adult fans.

what i think pevely does great for the kids is to let them ride with the drivers during intermission on the fan club thing...i dont know what all tracks do it but i think its a good thing for the kids

Bud_Man_8 said:
what i think pevely does great for the kids is to let them ride with the drivers during intermission on the fan club thing...i dont know what all tracks do it but i think its a good thing for the kids
I-55 does make sure the kids are involved whether it be junior fan club, riding with the drivers, the nickel race, etc., etc.

Back