Fastrak Late Models, Lancaster Speedway, What a night!

racer20

Press Release 8/21/06
Headquarters (Carnesville GA)

Fastrak Results, Lancaster Speedway, Mangum Barely Wins and What a Night!

The Fastrak Dirt Late Model Series held its first ever event at the famed ½ mile track of Lancaster Motor Speedway in Lancaster SC this past weekend in front of one of the most enthusiastic crowds ever. Timbo Mangum in the T1, one of the crowd favorites won his first Fastrak feature of the year but only by inches on the last lap!! The event took place in front of a “packed house” as the management stated it was about four times as many fans as they normally had.

“What a race” stated series founder Stan Lester. “Timbo certainly took off in the beginning but he looked liked his tires went away in the last ten laps and Lee Cooper made a fantastic effort in coming from way back in the field to challenge Mangum for the win”.

Announcer Mark Huey was just incredible. “I don’t think he had much left after the race” said Series director Jody Palmer. “I don’t think the fans did either. It got exciting at the end especially. It was one heck of a show. The fans at Lancaster certainly were some of the best I have ever seen. You just had to be there to experience this entire event. The fans never sat down during the entire 50 lap race. They made Fastrak feel very welcomed to be there. They were on their feet during everything. The Quik 6 fan draw, on track driver introductions, the race, everything. They are defiantly some of the most enthusiastic fans we have ever had. You really had to be there to see it. It was great! Timbo Mangum had just an incredible amount of fans there. The driver autograph session was unbelievable. It was almost mayhem. I’ll bet there were two hundred people in the autograph session. It was wall to wall people. You couldn’t walk through the grandstands”.

Timbo Mangum led the entire event with Lee Cooper catching him on lap 42 and had him passed by a fender when a car stopped on the back straight bringing out the caution flag and putting Cooper back behind the T1 of Mangum. “I looked down and Copper was there” stated Mangum. “My tires started going away on the last few laps and it looked like Cooper was getting better”. Although Cooper made the attempt several times to get bay Mangum, getting beside him on the bottom he could not quite make the pass to take the victory. “I have to give it to Cooper” said Mangum. “We touched a little coming off turn four headed to the checkered flag but he was great about it after the race. He actually pulled up beside me on the track and gave me the thumbs up. Fastrak is defiantly the best series going right now. They always tell us in the drivers meeting to have fun and everyone did tonight. All of the Officials are great to get along with and just a fun bunch to race with. We are ready for the big race at Wytheville VA Labor day Weekend. With the practice on Friday night we should be really good there. Maybe we can bring home the big check from there too”.

Buddy Smith and Rob McLaughlin had a tight race all night long as local hero Andy Blackwood caught them in the closing laps. Smith was all over the 00 for the entire race and drove a very clean race as he tried to pass on several occasions. Blackwood said later, “they were so close I just knew the two of them would get together at some point but they never did. They both drove the wheels off their cars and I don’t guess they ever touched”.

“It was the cleanest race I have ever witnessed” said Rules board member Danny Daniels. “I don’t think anyone ever touched anyone else all night long. It was pretty amazing considering these cars have equal power plants. This was just good side by side racing. One of the best I have ever seen”.

Although the race was over early Timbo Mangum was there signing autograph cards until the wee hours of the morning. “I started with one hundred and sixty cards said Mangum, I guess I have twenty or so left. What a good weekend”!

This was no doubt one of the most exciting weekends for the GM Crate engine Fastrak Late Model Series of the entire year.

1st Timbo Mangum T1
2nd Lee Cooper 57
3rd Rob McLaughlin 00
4th Buddy Smith 08
5th Andy Blackwood 57B
6th Matthew Daniels 18D
7th Randall Jordan 547
8th Bill Morgan M1
9th Billy Thompson 88
10th Todd Davis 117
11th Benji Knight Fast45
12th Chris Chandler 8
13th Donald Bradsher 27
14th Chris Steele 2
15th Chris Ferguson
16th Bill Peters
17th Ronnie Tullis
18th Kevin Blackwood B2
19th Steve Davis 1

The next event for the Fastrak Late Models is Sept 1st and 2nd at Wythe Raceway in Rural Retreat VA "The Pro Late Model Nationals 3rd annual event. This event is double points for all Regions throughout the country and features some special items this year in particular. The event pays $3000, $1500, $1000, $900, $800, $750, $700, $650, $600, $550, $500, $475, $450, $425, $400, $375, $350, $325, $300 with $300 to start the main event. It also feature a paid B Main in which the top four transfer to the main. 5th in the B main pays $250, $200, $150, $100 AND $50 for the rest of the field.

This event will also host a punt and pass competition on the front straight for 2 brand new 4x4 pick up trucks. There will be one drawing between the drivers and one between the fans.

Be sure to be there as this is one of the largest events of the year. Check the web site for more details and the flyer for the event.

www.fastrakracing.com

Fastrak Racing Series Marketing Partners:
Goodyear Racing Tires, General Motors Performance Parts, Maypole Chevrolet, Ohlins Technologies, Sunoco Fuels, Bearden Oil Company, Duralite Wheels, CTC Photos. PPM Racing Products, Rapture Racing Carbs, Racing News, Raceiver, Dirt Late Model Magazine.

Manufacturer Cup Participants:
Mastersbilt Racing Chassis, Rocket Racing Chassis, TNT Racing Chassis.

www.fastrakracing.com

Fastrak Racing Series Marketing Partners:
Goodyear Racing Tires, General Motors Performance Parts, Maypole Chevrolet, Ohlins Technologies, Sunoco Fuels, Bearden Oil Company, Duralite Wheels,
CTC Photos. PPM Racing Products, Rapture Racing Carbs, Racing News, Raceiver, Dirt Late Model Magazine.

Manufacturer Cup Participants:
Mastersbilt Racing Chassis, Rocket Racing Chassis, TNT Racing Chassis.

Back