Final gear

the gear your running multiplied by your ring and pinion ratio. ex. 1.68x4.11= 6.9048
6.90 final gear.

to find out what you have in the rear end of the car
1. put rear end of car on jack stand and make sure it is out of gear
2. make tire and a spot on the ground
3. mark drive shaft so you can count
4. spin the drive shaft (eather direction) and count the rotations the drive shaft makes to line the mark on the tire and ground back up

exp. the drive shaft turns 6 and 1/2 turns to line tire marks back up you have a 6.50 rear end gear that is the easy way to do it with out braking out calculaters out and having mr. math on the phone.

hope this helps out

what gear are you running right now and how much rpm are you turning? or do you not know which gear to start with.

you might just have to ask around for some one that is running the same track and engine, and like 21 said watch (recall on tach) if it is to high then you need to lower the gear if it to low then get a bigger rear end. and the awy that works is if cam is rated at 7200 on a 1/4 mile track and you start with a 6.0 and you are turning to much then go to a biger rear end (smaller number) 5.83 i runn in the mod class and i a 6.50 rear end and it turns about 7000 to 7500 pending track conditions. cam is rated at 7200 hope that helps you

I run a purestock in Belleville my final gear ratio is 7.21 .What should I run for Peavly My engine is not the most powerful ,will that make a diferance in gearing ,what about tire size

engine combination,tire size,transmission type and gear ratio, and what rpm you want to turn all are factors in figuring gear ratio.

Back