#71b - John Bohn: 772
#85g - Joe Giesler: 715
#56 - Tommy Worley Sr.: 598
#1 - Mike Francis: 566
#62k - Leo Kiefer: 545
#2m - Scott Carron: 308
#44 - Nick Werner: 281

Points?

I know there are some of you out there who have some questions regarding the final points:confused: ......I'm not mentioning any names though cause you know who you are;) . I'm still trying to find out exactly how they award points at The Rock, but I thought I would post some things you should consider when thinking about the points.

First of all, Friday night, September 3rd was a DOUBLE points night. Therefore, DOUBLE points for the heat race, the dash, and the feature were awarded...those points add up quick!!! If one car was in all 3 races and the other car wasn't...that could be why the points ended the way they did. Again, not sure how the points work, but I'm trying to find out. I promise you that the points were done by Marilyn in a fair manner;) . Any questions, try calling Terry.

Congratulations to all the track champions and to every racer who puts on a great show for us (the fans) week in and week out. Good luck the rest of the season wherever you may race.

I belive they are set up like ump or montgomery county points 60 for first then drop like 5 for second check out montgomery countys web page I think ours is close to that......I THINK :eek:

i dont want to get on here and make anyone mad, but i got to get this off my chest!! the points for the sportsman's are not right. it seems no matter how me and doug finish, i always seem to stay 15 to 30 points behind, it dont matter if i finish in front of him, or right behind him. and another thing, the night him and chris boyd tangled on the back straitaway and both ended up in the infield, doug got put in the back, and they left chris in the front. yes it was a bad call, but the call was made, so it should have stood, especialy on a double points night. but since doug threw a fit and said he was never coming back, so on and so forth, they paid him FIRST place points, when he finished in the back. now if that would have been me or anyother joe blow out there, they would have told me sorry about your luck!!!!! so go back and do the math and see who the sportsman champion really is!!!!!!!!!!

I was also wondering how the points were figured just to keep track on my own. I am to impatient to wait a whole week from race to race so it would be nice to know for next year.

i talked with terrys wife last night and she informed me that it wasent a double points night, but on the night im talking about doug finished 7th and i finished 3rd, she said if they would have paid him for 7th place points instead of 1st, i would be the points winner. guess this means that ill prolly not go back to fredricktown raceway next year!!!!! if there gonna pull stupid things like this, why even try!!!!

Nathan, you had a great season at Fredericktown. Just stop and think that at any time during the season one call or another will make or break your season. And it wouldn't have to be a call, it could easily be somebody sliding and taking you out instead of another car. You and Doug battled until the final lap of the final feature of the season. Please don't let one situation destroy what you work so hard for all season long. Like I said, it very easily could have been some other instance that occurred during the season also.... The #97 never looked better and ran faster... Keep up the good work!!

top points

after thinking over the points mixup in the sportsmans class,
and knowing that they will not be corrected, the fair thing to
do, allthough i still think it ****s, is add first place money and
second place money together and split it between the two
drivers and declair a tie for first place....
being the crew chief , and only crew member of the #97 car,
i have pulled the hair out of my head a number of times , too
get the car to be competitive with the other cars. i am proud
of nathans ability to drive clean and keep a cool head when
things go to crap.........
being his father and friend,
raceing keeps us close together.......

terry gibson

The emotions elicited by such an intense sport as racing are understandable; nonetheless, the arguments made about the final point standings in the Sportsman division at Fredricktown lack substance and objective reason. The argument that correcting a wrong call is a bad thing has very little logic to it. If it happened to you, you, too, would have wanted the situation corrected. And ask yourself, did you at anytime benefit from a favorable call that could have gone against you? Apparently others think so by checking the replies to a thread that concerned a judgment call that went your way (see below in parantheses). What would have happened had that favorable call not gone your way? Would you have lost points and, therefore, been in a situation to make the current argument a moot point? There was no points mixup. This implies that someone added incorrectly. And the following conspiracy theory comment is a sign of poor sportsmanship, poor logic, and self-pity

(now if that would have been me or anyother joe blow out there, they would have told me sorry about your luck!!!!! so go back and do the math and see who the sportsman champion really is!!!!!!!!!!).

Everyone racing out there is Joe Blow; there's no conspiracy, or privilege, or under the table dealing. The officials corrected a call and got it right, just like they got the call that went your way right. If you're going to blame, why stop with the #35 car? Why not blame anyone else who ever did anything during the year that kept you from acquiring more points? Why not blame the powers to be who decided to cancel the last night of racing at the track? There are a hundred different ways you could slice this, but the outcome is still the same: You finished second, which is better than how many dozens of other peopl?. You seem to have a personal grudge against the #35 that is affecting your reasoning, and if that is the case, then that will obviously affect the way you approach the situation, but to blame your finish on one call is not appropriate. Be proud of your finish and work to improve on it for next year.

(alright, why did nathan gibson get his spot back in the feature? he should've had to go to the back like everyone else, that was his own fault. and another thing, brent thompson hit kasey burch TWICE in the heat, and the second time, he took out kasey and messed up the rear end....why was it he didn't get warned for "agressive driving" in that problem?

The Explination I Heard Was The #97 Spun To Avoid Another Car That Was Sideways???? Well, Most Tracks Will Give You Your Spot Back If You Spin To Avoid A Car That "has Spun" Or Stopped, Not One That Almost Spun Or Was Sideways. Its Just My Opinion, But The #97 Should Have Went To The Back. From What I Seen, He Spun From Hard Racing With The #42. Like I Said Though Thats Just My Opinion.

what happend in the feature, and i talked with the flagman afterwards, he seen the whole thing, was that AFTER chuck adams hit me on the back straitaway making me fall back to third place, me and the #42 was racing hard and coming off of turn 2, he was in the middle of the track with me on the bottom, he got VERY loose and come down the track in front of me, i locked up the brakes to keep from hitting him and he just clipped my right front tire, with the brakes locked up already, it just shot me right around backwards, nothing i could do. it was either drive through him and take a chance of tearing both of our cars up, or slam on the brakes, and when i did what i did, thats what happend. in my opion, and nobody else prolly cares, it was a good call).

I dont blame Nathan at all for being upset!! One night of bad officiating and bad decisions cost him the championship and anyone can see that as plain as day! Nathan is a very good, clean driver who ran like a champ all season long and deserved a little better treatment than what he got. In my opinion, the only fair thing to do at this point would be to call it a "TIE" for first place! This shouldnt upset the #35, I'm sure he realizes that he got a good thing handed to him, unfairly!! Don't get me wrong, Doug ran good all year too, but, the call made to give him 1st place points and money that night (after the fact) was wrong on the tracks part and that is all there is to it!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a great job at the Rock this year Nathan, I hope everything turns out better next year if you choose to race there again!

Sure, being upset about not achieving a goal is fine; there's nothing wrong with being upset. Our emotions serve us well, but again, I fail to see how rectifying an incorrect decision that was made in the first place is a bad decision. It's the ethical thing to do. What happens, happens to everyone (and I can tell you from watching SFCR racing throughout the 90's, that #35--Doug--has been the recipient of plenty of poor calls and bad breaks--getting this one right was long overdue for him). It's a fundamental of life (a natural law) that success comes through failure. Doug has paid his dues, has had to keep going several times through bad breaks and poor calls, and so for someone with any kind of historical perspective, this is simply a non-issue. Nathan did a great job, should be proud, and will probably win the championship next year or in the near future. Nonetheless, don't begrudge a winner who deserves the championship. You wouldn't want someone doing it to you or the racers you like to watch.

Don't see where Matt has anything to do with this points race. Matt finished 2nd in the points at SFCR and he would NEVER take anything away from Doug. This thread is about Doug and Nathan finishing 1st and 2nd at Fredericktown NOT Doug and Matt finishing 1st and 2nd at SFCR. Let's not get confused here and drag Matt into something that doesn't concern him!!!!

Absolutely right on the name--I completely had a brain dump on that one. My mistake
--thanks for the note to clarify. I edited the thread to correct the name; notice that because I made a mistake, I corrected it--even after the fact. Thanks again for the heads up.

Thanks!

Thanks, Captain (or should I say "Mr. Captain";) ). I appreciate you editing your post to take Matt's name out of the controversy. Like I said before, Matt would NEVER take anything away from Doug or from his championship season.
Congratulations Doug on your track championshipS.........man didn't your parents ever teach you to "share":D ;) :p ???????

There should be no double points! Let everybody earn them the same. Guys have bad luck from time to time and if it happens on a double points night it makes it that much worse. Have a point system and stick with it. Then let the best man win! Go with the "ump" style poiints system.

i dont have any problems with doug, in fact, doug is one of the few guys i can trust racing beside and not tearing my car up, the problem i have is with the track!! a call was made, and then changed after the end of the race. show me where any other tracks have done anything like this. you wont find any. congrats to doug on both his chamiponships. as for next year, with my new job, i wont beable to contend anywhere for points, were just going for checkers!!!!!

woodrow

thats one of the reasons i'm not going to be racing at fredricktown every week, because of the double points thing. it does'nt make more cars come, it just scre*s the racers that dedicated going to that track every week through the year. it almost bit brent thompson.

Back