Finally, an announcement on Benton (ATPR)

Millsey

Here's the announcement left on their website:

Special Announcement !!

Doug Friese, President of Auto Tire and Parts NAPA RacePark Inc., is pleased to announce a lease agreement with Dirt Track Promotions for the 2004 racing season. Representatives of Dirt Track Promotions will be making an official announcement in the next few days.

Tentative classes will be:

Pure Streets (same rules as last season)
Cruisers (same rules as last season)
UMP Modifieds
Late Models (steel block)
Sprints (limited schedule)
We look forward to another great season of racing and excited about what Dirt Track Promotions has planned for 2004 season.

Please check website often for the latest 2004 track news.

posted on December 26, 2003, 3:00 PM

Announcement

This still doesn't give any information on what the late models can run .I need some rules on engines and tires. they might have three and a half months to do things but try and get a motor back in time for the season when its the end of january before you drop it off at the builders. Just a thought from a supportive late model to ATPR.

I don't understand why they would want to try and run late models at Benton anyway... On a given Saturday night they will be at I-55, Kentucky Lake and Poplar Bluff this year, not to mention MCS. There aren't that many late models around for that many tracks. If they wanted to have a main feature class they probably should have stuck with sprints on a full-time basis and not once a month. Farmington is going to be packed with sprints this year...

Why question/criticize what another track is trying to do? Things might go better for all tracks if everyone would support one another instead of taking cheap shots.

JMO

Jim Webb

That's a good one Jim.... Asking that question to people on a messageboard that is for expressing opinions. I don't see that anyone has given a "cheap shot" here.

Millsey is right about the late models. And steel blocks limit them even more. They could have all the sprint cars they wanted on Sunday evenings. I'm not really an advocate of Sunday racing but there are only so many cars and fans for Saturday nights. They might scrape by running the lesser classes but they will never get good crowds unless they run a top class on a night when they can draw cars. I would venture a guess that many Farmington sprint cars would be there almost every Sunday. Maybe it's been discussed but I don't see why Benton and Farmington couldn't cooperate a lot more and benefit them both. I suppose the problem is they both want Saturday night. Since Benton has tried, more than once, and seems to have a hard time staying afloat, one would think they might consider something different. With only one 410 sprint car track in the entire midwest now, I would think any track on Friday or Sunday would draw several cars. Sprints and Mods on Sunday would have a pretty good chance of drawing several cars.

PS. This is not a cheap shot, just an opinion.

Originally posted by openwheel
With only one 410 sprint car track in the entire midwest now, I would think any track on Friday or Sunday would draw several cars.

There are a few more than one 410 weekly midwest sprint track. Unless the ENTIRE midwest is MO/IL.

There is a small one in Iowa in a town called Knoxville. They also host something called the Knoxville Nationals.

Jacksonville IL
36 Raceway Osborn MO
Fremont OH
Attica OH
Huset's Speedway Sioux Falls SD
Mayetta KS running 410s this coming year
New track in Bloomington IL says running 410s

Non wing

Gas City IN
Putnamville IN
Bloomington IN
Paragon IN
Kokomo IN
Lawrenceburg IN

The death of weekly winged 410 sprint racing is just about here.

I guess I was speaking mainly for the local guys that don't have the budget to travel 7-8 hours one way to race. Didn't Jacksonville switch to 360s? Does Osborn run 410s? Didn't know about the Bloomington IL track. Is it a new track or old one picking up 410s?

I agree it's dying out, but why? I realize cost is one of the biggest factors but doesn't it cost about the same for a good late model? There seem to be plenty of late model tracks around. Is it just that there aren't enough open wheel fans in this area to support sprint cars? Or are there just more guys who want (need) fenders?

Whatever the reason, it's not very promising.

BTW, I had an extra ticket to the Nationals this year. You should have went. That 7 nights in a row is about as good as it gets.

Back