food for thought on street stock sportsman debate

turn left

GRAND MASTER
It seems to me there is little doubt the sportsman class is going to be gone in the next few years. That is sad for it is a great class. I have been thinking of how this can be done and here is my thought. UMP has a full set of rules for their stock car class. It is as close to a combination as i have seen. There are a few things maybe UMP could help with but the rules seem decent. Maybe everyone take a look at the rules and put in their two cents. In order for this to work all our area tracks need to work together. I never understood track competing against each other. It helps no one. It also needs to start happening now. Allied ,highland,tri city,all other close proximity tracks interested need to start making some changes. Its no going to be easy I know . I see the issues but to be honest if we dont start working to get a unified set or rules we are hurting our sport and our tracks. Like I said just an idea please dont get personable its just a simple debate.
Roger Stryker

its simple start taking away one high dollar racing item each year until you are back at purestocks as they are now! work in the 602 crate motor and your there! then lock the rules up for ever!

Would be nice to have a car with the same rule as everyone in your class for UMP points . And be nice knowing you can travel and race against cars with same rules.

What debate? I dont see any sportsman guys *****ing and little to no ss guys complaining. Theyre two different classes, and if theyre "so close" than just build one car thats easily transitioned to and from both. Jmo.

What debate? I dont see any sportsman guys *****ing and little to no ss guys complaining. Theyre two different classes, and if theyre "so close" than just build one car thats easily transitioned to and from both. Jmo.

Guess you havent heard but allied is combining the two classes over the next few years. So drivers complaining or not there soon will be no sportsman in this area.

The stock frame, home built race car days are numbered. Doesn't matter what you do. The days of drag a car out of the pasture, throw a roll cage in it and go race are behind us. If you want a more "affordable" class of race car you better think more out of the box than just a crate motor.

Ok time for me to pipe up......per UMP website the Factory Stocks (as they are called in this area) rule #1 says must run on D.O.T tires. Rule #2 local track rules prevail. Sounds pretty cut and dry right? If thats the case then why are we running on e-mods? Ok so my assumption is with the tire rules we have around here make them UMP Street Stocks....so why don't we go ahead and make them UMP Street Stocks? With the rules we have around here we really only have three tracks we can run at and be competitive. I myself would like to be able to travel to other tracks and race and be competitive with the car i have. Instead of getting rid of the sportsman why don't we make the (Factory Stocks) UMP Street Stocks that way the cars wouldn't be wasted? Theres not much of a difference between the sportsman and street stocks. Just a thought but i know it wont happen but it would be nice.

The difference between the classes is money. Makeing them ump street stocks would cost the factory stock guys a lot of money to be competitive

Tommy most people are confused on what it takes to be competitive. If people would simply do their homework and apply it to the car when building a car it wouldnt cost that much to build a UMP street stock. Most of the guys running the factory stocks now could take their motor put a aluminum intake and a two barrel holley on and as far as the motor goes be competitive with the same motor they are running now. As far as the chassis goes put tubular upper a arms on cut the center of the spring bucket out put screw jacks in and do the same on the back and maybe do a few more things and be competitive. Sounds like alot i know but if drivers and owners would just apply a little elbow grease to these cars you can do it and keep up at little cost. So really theres not much of a money difference.

You need a big motor to compete with ump street stocks I tried it a year or 2 ago by putting an allumanium intake and a 500 holly on my car I went to the big show they had at brownstown and didn't stand a chance. Now taking a sportsman and making it would be no problem but taking my factory stock to a ump street stock would be hard to do

Ump street stocks at Jacksonville got some dam fast cars with big motors! Travis walbulm and a few other guys up there ain't playing around! But agree the cars from tri city could do it easy with money and a lil work!

We announced we would be looking at the possibility of combining to one class in the future. there is no time table for it and as long as we have the good car counts we do in the sportsman it will be out there a ways.

Dean i did not mean strictly crate motor but to allow it with personally built motors

Guess you havent heard but allied is combining the two classes over the next few years. So drivers complaining or not there soon will be no sportsman in this area.

It sounds like this is more of a streetstock\purestock debate and not much to do with sportsman class.

And that is my point. The promoters in this area should have a pretty strong standing with UMP. Go to them see about altering their rules slightly and having one bigger stronger national series. I am not saying it is as simple as just change everything at once but seems to me this is the best solution. I am only trying to get things started seems this area waits till our stuff is antique before we decide to do something!!

Idk what youre even talking about, both the sportsman class and streetstock class have great turnouts in this area
(barring pevely bcuz theyre too wishy washy with the ss) Theres a healthy number of options for the medium-low budget racers in this area. If its not broke....

We announced we would be looking at the possibility of combining to one class in the future. there is no time table for it and as long as we have the good car counts we do in the sportsman it will be out there a ways.

Dean i did not mean strictly crate motor but to allow it with personally built motors
I know... I think we need to develope something new and affordable. Basiclly start from scratch. I'm looking 10 years down the road.

Idk what youre even talking about, both the sportsman class and streetstock class have great turnouts in this area
(barring pevely bcuz theyre too wishy washy with the ss) Theres a healthy number of options for the medium-low budget racers in this area. If its not broke....
I guess you just dont understand the sportsman class is a dead class. You cant think it can last with only one track running them. But your entitled to your opinion. I am thinking how to make one unified class with a national set of rules so we can run anywhere like the late models and mods.I am hoping all our track promoters, drivers, and UMP can come together and make it better for all.I am open to all opinions but to think not changing will work I believe thats a fairy tale. That is my opinion.

Is it easier to make a Sportsman into a B-Mod? Also,Street/Pure Stocks need to get away from the "Racing Tires" and let's get the rules to where the Ind. guys can come race here once in a while??? Please

I know... I think we need to develope something new and affordable. Basiclly start from scratch. I'm looking 10 years down the road.
Then we better start looking for a different "full framed car". After all the metric cars are used up what's next? Crown Victoria? Grand marquis? Early 90's Impala?
Have to agree with you Dean, There will come a day that the homebuilt car will be a thing of the past.
As far as Street stock vs Sportsman.......Make them(sportsman) run our rochester, let us (street stock) run a 4 barrel holley. Take two cars on a play day, and turn em loose and see who is faster.
I'm all for not buying Hoosiers!!
Adam

Back