ford 2.3 roller head.

duckhunter330

Steve "Duck" LaGarce
I am looking for a 2.3 roller cam head. anybody have one they want to part with?

Steve, you may allready know this but if you don't. Roller heads can have the dual plugs so watch what you purchase. The dual plugs are virtually useless for us. The cam and followers out of the dp head will interchange with the regular heads.

well I have a hyd head, but wolf said you can not turn as many rpm's with those. Is that true? What head should I be looking for? Since I am building a motor I want to do it right the first time.

Rpm's

My head uses the Ford roller,followers and anti pump up lifters ( hydraulic) the valve springs a about the limiting factor with the ohc 2.3. Aftermarket rollers are not legal for us so for now I'm using what we got. I do have a hydraulic slider that is more aggresive than the stock roller for my new engine.

So is a hydraulic head ok to use? I plan on having it fly cut (for trueness). who else uses a hydraulic cam head? Would you know what the best cam I would want to go with? I want to set it up for Montgomery County Speedway.

I think Shannon uses a hydraulic cam. As for what the rest of the guys are using I don't know. Different driving styles can dictate what you use and don't use.

COBRAII said:
Steve, you may allready know this but if you don't. Roller heads can have the dual plugs so watch what you purchase. The dual plugs are virtually useless for us. The cam and followers out of the dp head will interchange with the regular heads.
NOW JON TELL HIM THE TRUTH 22dodge say's the dual plug heads are GREAT...... for door stops :D :eek: :eek:

duckhunter330 said:
So is a hydraulic head ok to use? I plan on having it fly cut (for trueness). who else uses a hydraulic cam head? Would you know what the best cam I would want to go with? I want to set it up for Montgomery County Speedway.

if you call some of the cam copmany's and tell them what kind of track what gear ratio (tranny rearend) kind of car ect ect they will tell you what would be a decent cam be carefulll not to got to big you need to find rpm range that will suit that track......... example I wa running 3:55 with a 2.14 tranny and I could turn it 6500 6800 all night That was on a BONE stock Ford motor..... to turn the higer RPM there is a few things you will need to it to make it stay together for 7500 to 9000 rpm like brass gear on your dst. ect ect

duckhunter330 said:
Smurf what head do I need???

as long as itis NOT the dual plug head you will be fine look at how close these fords run together some run hydralic some run roller just remember if you run a roller head you can't run a aftermarket (bigger cam) cam it has to be a stock one.... do some asking the weekend at the rock you'll get some more info... hydralic will be cheeper I think.... heck you can buy heads already race ready..... the head on these motor is what make the fords power....

you choices are oval port and d-port heads I think there is one more also

if you got a motor like mine (TFI FUEL injected) they say in stock form them heads with the tfi intake are some of the best flowing heads & intakes in stock form...

if you got a motor like mine (TFI FUEL injected) they say in stock form them heads with the tfi intake are some of the best flowing heads & intakes in stock form...[/QUOTE]
Smurf is right about the intake, will disagree about the head.The closed chamber head shrouds the valves and hurts flow. A cookie cutter Ford will get you in the game but handling will make the difference.

I like the early 80's head. D-port open chamber or the oval port. IF you could port then I would say the round port ranger head with the 2.0 intake

Duck just get a solid cam and get rid of the hydraulic , they always float valves..
I ran the hydraulic for almost 2 years , floated valves for that time untill I got a solid..Now all is good and get the d port head..they are real good..

hey duck

do you want the same setup as me. if so i will show you what to go with and still be leagle. you got to ask yourself do you want to race up front or around the back. you could have a head like mine ready to go for about 900.00. thats a ball park figure. do you want to wake up people or not? i'd like to see a camo pinto pass me.......... :eek:

Back