Frye wins third MARS series victory at I-44 Speedway!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Dusty Luthy
I-44 Speedway

LEBANON - Although Bill Frye won the Mid America Racing Series Late Model race at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway on Saturday night, the race hype seemed to surround the drivers who finished a little lower in the night's feature.

Frye, of Greenbriar, Ark., won his heat after starting fifth, winning the pole for the feature race, where he stayed for the duration of the 40-lap feature. Springfield's Terry Phillips started on the outside of him, but was plagued with problems all night long.

"That's the worst this car's been all year long," Phillips said. "We've got to study on it and figure it out."

Phillips chose to run the high side of the track, but by lap two, got too high in the cushion, allowing Jeff Taylor to take a steady second place. Phillips was able to continue on the cushion, building his momentum to take back second on lap six. Going too high again, Taylor found himself back in second by lap 20.

As Phillips was about two car lengths away from lapping his own teammate, Jeremy Payne, a caution came out on lap 30 for Taylor, which also sent Phillips to the pits with a flat tire.

Payne, a Tucson, Ariz. native, has joined Terry Phillips Autosports and Andy's Frozen Custard racing as teammate. The former Modified driver just made the move to Springfield this week from Batesville, Ark., making his second career start in a Late Model at I-44 Speedway and he's quickly turning heads.

"We got to break him in here," Phillips said. "He's already done an outstanding job tonight, winning the heat race, he finished in front of me, I guess."

That's right. Payne's black No. 74 came in for an eighth-place feature finish, one spot ahead of his new boss and mentor.

"I was a little nervous about performing well," Payne, 20, said. "We ran real well in the heat race, got in the main, which is the most important thing. I'm pretty excited."

The two currently share crew members and sponsors, but Phillips said Payne is standing out.

"I hope he runs right out in front," Phillips said. "That's why we signed him on. I think he's the deal. We're pretty serious around here and expect a lot, and so far, he's done a heck of a job. I don't think he'll have any problems."

"Hopefuly it just keeps getting better from here," Payne said. "Hopefully he'll teach me a lot. He already has in this short time, so hopefully, he makes me as good a racer as he is."

The spotlight was also on Will Vaught. The young driver from Crane, with embroidered ARCA patches emblazoned on his racing suit, said after the race he was pretty "hyped up" about his MARS career-best, second-place finish.

"It could have been better for me," Vaught joked. "It would have been better for me if I would have been out there on that front straightway."

But Vaught harbors no ill feelings toward the winner and said he would take second to Frye any night. Vaught can frequently be seen in the pits of a race track talking with Frye - his car builder and mentor.

"I respect the man more than anyone around here," Vaught said. "He helps us out a lot. I'm glad he won."

The victory came as an extra boon for Frye after his car was totaled at a previous MARS race at Monett Speedway. Knowing that it was his cars that came in at the top two spots makes him just as proud.

"I feel good watching anyone that I help out," Frye said. "I feel just as good watching them run good. For me, it's about building a car. I've told a lot of people that I'm not that good of a race car driver, but I've got a really good hot rod. A lot of people can get in it and win races. It makes me feel good to see another driver do that."

Vaught started the feature 14th before making his late-race run to the top. Dewaine Hottinger came in third, followed by Justin Wells and Jeff Floyd.

Jeff Cutshaw added another Modified victory to his list of achievements Saturday night. Cutshaw started the feature on the outside of pole sitter Tony Jackson Jr.

Cutshaw won his 10th Modified victory in 17 races.

"Winning never gets old," Cutshaw said. "You always want to win. People in the stands, it might get old for them, but you still go out there and do the best you can. You want to be faster. If you win by a big margin you still want to win by a bigger margin. That competitive edge- you never want to lose that. And I will lose it eventually. But I cherish what I got right now."

Jackson finished second followed by Steve Martin, Steve Muilenburg, and Jason Meadors.

The Factory Stock feature saw three different race leaders. Richland's Tim Brown won the pole and held the lead for a few laps before Lake Mooneyham, of Republic, took the lead for several laps. David Hendrix, of Buckhorn, came charging on the high side and took the lead for good.

Mooneyham took second, followed by Brown, Chad Smith, of Lebanon, and Kenny Carroll, of Osage Beach.

Lonnie Muhlbauer won his second Pro-4 victory in a row. Brian Miller also won his first Bomber victory of the season.

Mid America Racing Series Late Models

Heat 1

1. Jeff Taylor
2. Brandon McCormick
3. Leslie Essary
4. Bill James
5. Steve Rushin
6. Christian Rayburn
7. Jordan Jones

Heat 2

1. Terry Phillips
2. Darrin Barton