Garrett Durrett and Wendell Wallace to Team Up in ‘07

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
(SIMSBORO, LOUISIANA) With only a week before many Dirt Late Model teams head to southern Georgia and Florida for “Speedweeks 2007,” two prominent teams have joined forces. The Garrett Racing team and the Wendell Wallace Autosports team will be combining resources in 2007 and will field cars out of the Garrett Racing shop in Simsboro, Louisiana. Both Garrett Durrett and Wendell Wallace will be piloting Rocket racecars with Larry Wallace Racing Engines under the hood of their respective machines when they kick off the ’07 season at the Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick, Georgia from January 31-February 3.

Both drivers are planning to compete on the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series tour in 2007. The ultra-competitive series kicks off with the annual ‘Winternationals’ at the East Bay Raceway Park in Gibsonton, Florida from February 5-10. This year’s version of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series schedule features 35+ events in 15 different states. Both Wendell and Garrett will be shooting for the 2007 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series National Championship, while Garrett will also be running for Rookie of the Year honors. More information concerning the series can be found online at www.lucasdirt.com.

“It is a great opportunity for me to get back out on the road and run with a national series again,” commented the former Hav-A-Tampa (UDTRA) regular Wendell Wallace today. “Me and Don (Durrett) have been great friends for awhile now and he has sponsored my racing program in the past. It is just so expensive to run up and down the road these days and I was kind of limited with what I could do by myself. So, Don and Garrett stepped up and we worked out this deal. I am very excited to join forces with the Durrett’s and I look forward to kicking off the season at Brunswick next week.”

Wendell is coming off a great 2006 campaign, which saw him compete as a regular on the grueling UMP Summernationals tour. The Batesville, Arkansas native wound up finishing third in the point standings for the month-long series behind winner Shannon Babb and runner-up Jeep Van Wormer. The driver known as the “Batesville Bullet” won nine shows in ’06 including the $40,000 to win ‘Show-Me 100’ at the West Plains (MO) Motor Speedway and the $10,000 to win ‘Pepsi Nationals’ at the I-55 (MO) Raceway.

Garrett spent much of his 2006 season on the road with the World of Outlaws Late Model Series. Traveling all over the country, Garrett lined up against Dirt Late Model's best at largely unfamiliar venues. The driver quickly becoming known as the 'Rated R Superstar' finished fourteenth in the final version of the World of Outlaws Late Model Series point standings and third in the heated Rookie of the Year battle. Garrett reached victory lane on two occasions in 2006, both with the O'Reilly SUPR Series during the month of March. He took home the $2,000 top prize at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas on March 3 and the $2,500 winner's share a week later at the Champion Park Speedway in Haughton, Louisiana.

“I really enjoyed racing with the Outlaws last season and learned a lot out on the road with those guys, but the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series schedule is better suited to us,” stated Garrett Durrett via telephone.
“Wendell brings a wealth of knowledge to our team since he has raced most everywhere in the country. The addition of Wendell and his crew chief Todd Moser should help speed up my learning curve. Everyone associated with both teams have worked well together in the past, so it was a natural process to bring both teams together as one.”

UPCOMING SCHEDULE:
January 31-February 3 | Golden Isles Speedway, Brunswick, GA February 5-February 10 | East Bay Raceway Park, Gibsonton, FL February 12-February 17 | Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL

The newly-formed team would like to thank the following group of sponsors for their continued support: Garrett Racing, Davison Transport, Rocket Chassis, Larry Wallace Racing Engines, Cizmar, Day Motorsports, Delph Communications, Integra Shocks & Springs, J&J Motorsports, JFR Graphics, Hoosier Racing Tires, Out-Pace Racing Products, Performance Bodies, Race It, SHY Racing Suspensions, Simpson, Stuckey Enterprises, Sunoco Racing Fuel, Wehrs Machine & Racing Products, and Xtreme Graphics.

You can learn more about Garrett Durrett and Wendell Wallace online at www.garrettdurrett.com and www.wendellwallace.com respectively.

Media Contact: Ryan Delph - Delph Communications www.delphcommunications.com

Back