Gas Cap Question ?

dirtgirl

I have a question about gas caps any help would be apperciated. If you DO NOT have a gas cap on your car during a race do they have the driver pull in and get one placed on the car and go to the back of the pack ? Or do you race and get blacked flagged then go in and get one come back out to the back of the pack or do you take the longest yellow in history so they can go down the pits and check cars for one then hand it off to an official as the car stays on the track and official puts it on the car and the car get their spot back ? I did ask this question and yes my alligator mouth might have over rode my duck azz! I did not get an answer so I will ask here hoping to find out what me and about 30 plus ( no exaggeration ) people were curious about. All the drivers and crew I talked to said the car should have pulled in and went to the back. I am confused because many times in the past the cars without a cap has been sent to pits to fix and came back out to the rear ! Please do not make this a bashing session just your answers TY !

On another note THANK YOU I-55 for out lasting mother nature and working the track 2 different times and letting us finish a night of great racing as always...... Finally mother nature DID NOT get a checkered flag tonight !!!!!!

And yes PH I just got home lol !

Lisa Jones

well if your the chosen one inthe eyes of the people running the track,then you pulled one over on all the other racers.if your like all the other racers the book u get at the rules meeting you might as well use it to wipe your azz with.i just saying.

The car would of been made to pull in to have someone " anyone " to put it on then His AZZ should of been sent to the back ! No exceptions ! Would of sent my own brother to the pits and then put him in the rear....thats how I roll !

But in the real world.....I gotta agree with Pdiddy460 on this one .

Any car that is worked on under yellow should go too the back!! But some cars you see throwing fuel is just because the cell is full and its coming out the overflow.. This has happened at Tri city several times this year and with gas prices so high we would think this would be something to make sure is on tight..lol but im dirtboy and dont know sh_t....

IMO the driver should be responsible for having his/her car race ready when it pulls out on the track. If your body gets pushed in from contact i see no problem under caution to have it pulled out and you not lose your spot but the gas cap did not fall off from contact it was a mistake made by the driver/crew.My understanding is only under the red flag can a car be assisted by someone. I think the fact it was Troy and they let this slide is b/s if it were myself or any other lets say "not a big name driver" you can guarantee they would of been sent to the pits and then to the back, and im pretty sure no official would have ran to 5-6 cars parked on the infield to find one for me. I know to some this will seem like a pitty thing and it may be but to bend the rules for one driver will only enrage the other 23, something to consider. One last thing good job to track crew last night i have not been to a race in a long time where it rained like it did and still got to see the races go on. Track was awesome and the racing was great and I am now a fan of Keystone Light.

Mike Armstrong #168

Last night was not the first night this season that an official has replaced a gas cap on a car that has come off or pulled a fender off a tire on any car in any class this season but if you think a car should go to the pits and be put to the back for these reasons then that can happen the rest of the season. This was not the first car this year to get the gas cap put back on by an official. Why should the 12 car be penalized when the others were not. The best time to discuss the matter is not when everyone is mad or has been drinking.

Mark Stanfill

I've seen cars in the past get black flagged for dumping fuel on the track, have to pull in, and have the fuel cap put on, then restart in the rear of the field. But of course, I've seen the opposite happen as well.

1. If the yellow was because of the car losing fuel, then the yellow was for that driver. 2. He should have been sent to the PITS for his crew to put on the cap. 3. Then he should have been sent to the REAR, unless the race hadn't started yet. 4. In that case he should have gotten his spot back on the track!! AT some tracks he would have been sent out not to RETURN!!

HOWEVER.. what happened to the Allied rule that said you had to have your CAP chained or wire tied to your fuelcell????? Two or three years ago there was a car fire at Belleville on the back stretch because the driver didn't have his cap on. That's when the rule was made, so it was a safety rule that SHOULD be enforced!!

A complete lap had been ran. And Mark for the record from 5 to when the races were over I had a total of 1 1/2 drinks. I had 5 kids with me. I am a very responsible parent that if I drink to much Gus drives me home. I don't think Gussies truck could hold 7 people. So I hardly drank. 1st drink was at 6 so by the time races were over I was as sober as you. By the way you did a fantastic job on the track and keeping her going when it could have been a wash....... As for doing it before this year for some of the drivers still does not make it right cause the same amount has been blacked flagged or sent to the pits.
It still isnt right. It was a simple mistake yes but take it like a man pull in and get a cap on the car come back out and go the the back of the pack like it has happened for the other half all these years....... A few weeks ago I think Timmy Hill was sent into the pits for spewing gas in what I think was the feature and he was sent to the pits- just what I think I saw could be wrong ....

First of all I wasnt there and just responding to the posts. First yes I have seen several times an official put on a gas cap that was left off. However not sure if the cap was ever givin to the official by a crew member most of the time the cap had a strap attached to fuel cell just in case it came loose. But on that note I have seen most every driver have a fender pulled out , loose body parts or bumpers pulled off , and officials look to see if car has damage. So everyone needs to take a breathe and look at the bigger picture. Cant see how this is concidered favoratism when at one time or another everyone gets help from an official during a race. JMO !! Roger Stryker

The problem is they (Allied) just isn't consistant with what they do.

They have black flagged cars for it being off (even though it was still hanging on there from a chain).

There probably wouldn't be anything being said about this if it had been there hanging by a chain and they just put it back on. But when Allied officials go running around the pit area looking for one from another driver to replace a completely missing one, then you raise questions. The Allied official in turn 4 went to about 4 or 5 different cars on the infield trying to find one. No one would give him one so he sent him to the back stretch where they found one.

Pulling a fender out and going to find replacement parts are 2 completely different things here.

After all this aara needs to make a hard and fast rule,,cap is hanging by a wire,put it back on,,,gone,replace it n car goes to rear,,,simple...also enforce the teather rule

if the yellow was for the 12 then he should have went to rear, but the official going to get a gas cap, I dont see the problem with that, about three years ago at belle clair i had an official getting a hood pin for me on a yellow, if it is something that an aara official can fix for you than they will, and I think they will do it for anyone. As far as the strap on the fuel cap, I do believe it is in the rule book, but not for sure, but I bet the 12 car has one next week. Also, if an official does the work to your car you do not get penalized.

All drivers were told a few years ago that the fuel cell cap must be attached to the car the checked it evernight on some cars but it is like everywhere rule allied has. The just don't care to pods people off by enforcing the rules. If they would stick by the rule book it would be better closer racing. Nothing against Troy he can drive the hell out of his car. But a rule is a rule. I think they need to start tearing top 10 down every week and go by the rules if there is something wrong give them a week to fix if found illegal again that year take all points away. If they do that maybe they will stop cheating.

Rules are rules and should be followed by ALL!

As far as officials working on a car, that is something different, pulling a fender out here and there is one thing but going off the track and looking for a gas cap is another. The official has a responsiblility to ALL the cars on the track - not just one. I like Troy and I am not saying anything about him personally.

But that yellow delayed the race - it takes long enough to line up the cars when there is a yellow that he would have went around and got HIS cap put on. And if he had to go to the back, he had to go to the back, I bet he would not have stayed there. But be conistant with the rules. Everyone would be a lot happier. Rules as you go or making a rule for each driver makes everyone a little pissy!

Back