Gateway to repave before Aug. 26 IndyCar race

Flying Penguin

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141627-gateway-to-repave-before-august-indycar-race

In an effort to try and ensure the best possible return of Indy cars, RACER has learned that Gateway Motorsports Park is going to repave the entire 1.25-mile oval prior to the Aug. 26 race.

An official announcement is not expected for a few days but Chris Blair, Gateway executive vice president and general manager, told RACER on Wednesday: "We are working on a project to make sure this place is great for many years to come."

The track, located in Madison, Illinois and just across the river from St. Louis, hosted CART and IRL races from 1997-2003 before the crowds fell off but Gateway president Curtis Francois pursued IndyCar for the past three years and is promoting the 15th race in the Verizon IndyCar Series as the caveat of his 2017 season.

"That's good news and it shows Curtis [Francois] and the Gateway people are committed to doing whatever is needed," said veteran Ed Carpenter, who first tested at the former CART/IRL track last fall in his Fuzzy's Chevrolet. "They've been super positive and engaged about bringing back IndyCar at St. Louis and this is more proof."

The track surface was breaking up during Carpenter's initial test so it was patched, and then during an open test on May 2 the abrasive surface was cutting down tires.

"I think they were having trouble identifying whether it was the surface or the patches so repaving takes care of that," continued Carpenter.

There had been some speculation that Gateway might resemble the Phoenix parade, but Carpenter doesn't think so.

"The straightaways are longer at Gateway and I think we'll be able to get a run off Turn 2 and pass down the backstretch or get a run off Turns 3-4 and be able to draft down the front straightaway," said the two-time Indianapolis 500 pole-sitter. "I think it's going to be an exciting race."

I hope the track has time to cure before the race. I do not want a repeat of the first Busch race in 1997 when the track disintegrated in the 99 degree heat. I guess IndyCar has a long term commitment to Gateway, otherwise why make this big of a financial investment? Also wondering why the Trucks (Goodyear) and ARCA (Hoosier) aren’t having this issue. Maybe it is a Firestone problem?

I
I hope the track has time to cure before the race. I do not want a repeat of the first Busch race in 1997 when the track disintegrated in the 99 degree heat. I guess IndyCar has a long term commitment to Gateway, otherwise why make this big of a financial investment? Also wondering why the Trucks (Goodyear) and ARCA (Hoosier) aren’t having this issue. Maybe it is a Firestone problem?
i believe it may be a downforce issue. The amount of downforce an indycar produces is dramatic. Also the track is old and all parties wants to put on a great race. It's time for a repave, I am hoping for some progressive banking and possibly the return of the xfinity cars if the surface is there to provide great racing !!

Back