Giant Tires

WORDENWARRIOR

Running through the pitts
Is there not somthing to use other than a giant tire that destroys race cars?:confused: Anything ??? ( No Smart ***** remarks please.) Cause you could be next!

The tires played havoc with the guys at TCS last night for sure. I'm partial to the buried car tires through the turns. But the cars can usually drive right over them. Some people will say a berm on the bottom of the track is the answer. But then you have the drainage issues that usually end up with a puddle of water on the bottom of the track making rainouts more prominate. You could use Armco gaurdrails which would probably be the best option in many cases. But it takes away the option of cars using the infield to avoid crashes and to pull out of potential spins. Plus there's the cost factor in placing railing compared to using dirt from the track or getting used tires. So really, the large tractor tires are probably used most often due to their cheap cost, easy placement, and the freedom of using the infield for both cars to drive on and for draining water. The best answer you'll see unfortunately is to try and miss the tires. Sometimes, as we saw last night, that's easier said than done.

1/2 buried tires is the answer but thay are harder to put back in after being ripped out. If the promoters had to pay for damages they would have the buried car tires. In a way they do they pay in the form of less cars but it is not as easy to see. Bopper

how bout tall orange cones,ya gets one cone hit a race,then for each aditional cone you loose a spot,that is unless you are pinched into a cone buy a car comming down the track,it may take some discretion by the cornor flag man to make a call but if you just plain run one over then its cut and dried so to speak,but then in all my years of racing i have only hit a tire hard enough to do dammage 2 or 3 times its when you are forced into them that major stuff brakes,,,

no matter what you put there, racers are gonna find a way to hit it; and in all my years around racing, it's never been their fault. the tires are buried, and cannot move. i think it's the drivers' driving their cars into them. this is just a guess, though. sorry for the "smarta**" answer, but it's called the truth.

cones

With all the sujective calls made by the corner men, most drivers thinking they were wrong, one more pressure call might be too much to keep an eye on, between that and who caused the spin outs, at least they couldn't just point to the Ladies in the scorer stand for this decision!!:mad::mad::mad:

I dont have an answer to as what should be done, but something should. Those tires have cost quite a few drivers alot of money. Sure, some hit them on their own but some come from trying to avoid other drivers, accidents, or they just simply get pinched down with no place to go. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that the driver that hit the tire was not the person who caused the problem.

Racing is an expensive business to be in no matter what class you run, I just know there has to be a better alternative... just dont know what it is.

Dont take my post as complaining... I cant do that when I dont have a better answer that would be cost efficient for the track and also not tear up the cars as bad.

Is there not somthing to use other than a giant tire that destroys race cars?:confused: Anything ??? ( No Smart ***** remarks please.) Cause you could be next!

Yeah, the tires just jumped out in front of the drivers. Sometimes one is a victim of circumstances, but no matter what is put down to mark the track, someone's going to complain. I've seen undercarriage of cars torn up by half buried car tires, I've seen cars torn up by tractor tires, and of course, there's the infamous guardrails and concrete walls. What facinates me is that at I-55, you have late model, modified and sportsman drivers that go around the track on the very, very bottom. They are no more than a foot off the wall, and they also have a tractor tire in 2 and 4 to negotiate past. It does stick out just a bit from the wall. Very, very rarely do you see someone hit the wall or tire.

So maybe the answer IS a concrete wall. You'd have a lot more incentive to try to keep off it, and run a better line!!

Back