Girl is honored for saving home from fire

cngracin

Small Block Chevy Killer!
Spotted this on STLToday.com…. Good Job Brandi!

Glad to hear this didn’t turn out much worse for a local racing family.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Girl is honored for saving home from fire
By Susan Weich
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
09/19/2005

ST. CHARLES COUNTY Thirteen-year-old Brandi Kiser is a big help with everything, say her parents, so maybe they shouldn't have been surprised when she single-handedly saved their ranch home near O'Fallon earlier this month.

Brandi used a garden hose to douse 3-foot flames that had already ignited insulation under the porch and around the front door of their home on six acres in the 2300 block of Mexico Road.

Officials with the Wentzville Fire Protection District honored Brandi on Monday with a resolution citing her heroic actions. Without her, the fire would have reached the attic and threatened the entire home, fire Capt. Jeff Preis said.

Brandi and her siblings - Valerie, 8, Melissa, 5, and Wesley, 2 - were at home with their grandmother, Peggy Fitzgerald, who was baby-sitting while their parents, Jennifer and Jerry Kiser, were at the Montgomery County Speedway.

Shortly after midnight on Sept. 4, the family's black Labrador retriever, Max, started barking, and Fitzgerald noticed smoke coming under the front door.

She called Jennifer Kiser on the phone, and Kiser told her she would call 911 while Fitzgerald got the children out of the home.

Jerry Kiser called back, and Brandi answered the phone. He asked Brandi how big the flames were. She said that she didn't know but that the wood porch was on fire.

Landscaping lights, which had been pulled up and placed on the decking earlier while the grass was cut, had overheated.

Kiser, a former volunteer firefighter, told Brandi to unplug the lights. When she told him she had it done, he told her to go back outside, get the hose and start wetting down the front of the house.

"I told her don't get too close; stay back so you don't get hurt," Kiser said. "She said OK, dad. She was very calm about it and hung up the phone."

Brandi kept hosing down the flames for the next five minutes until the first firetruck arrived.

When firefighters surveyed the damage, they couldn't believe that she had stopped the fire with just a garden hose. The porch was nearly gone, the soffit of the roof was sagging downward, the front door was destroyed and most of the siding was melted.

Kiser said he, too, was shocked when he saw the damage, estimated at $8,500. He said he would never have asked Brandi to do what she did had he known how serious it was.

Jennifer and Jerry Kiser say they couldn't be more proud of their daughter, an eighth-grader at Fort Zumwalt North Middle School.

"She really put herself out there for her family," said Jennifer Kiser.

sweich@post-dispatch.com 636-255-7210

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Attachments

• brandikiser.jpg
    brandikiser.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 55
Way to go, Brandi!!! It's good to know that even those so young think so quick on their feet! Knowing Jerry, I'm sure all his kids are just as great!

ANOTHER fire problem for Jerry

Jerry, I hope this picture from Trashdog wasn't from the SAME weekend!

Attachments

• 68 on fire.jpg
    68 on fire.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 234
Thanks for the compliments for Brandi she really is a great kid!
I will have her read this when she gets home from school(wed).

CNGracing no that wasn't the same weekend. It was only two weeks apart.
the fire at my house happened the night I wiped out the front of the modified(yet another bad luck weekend). One of these days my luck has to change for the better.

jerry

Jerry I think your luck is just fine! Look at it this way everyone got out alive and well That my friend makes you VERY VERY BLESSED ! You tell Miss Brandi she is awesome! Congratulations on a fine young lady and the rest of your family ! And go out and buy Fido a big bag of Doggie Cookies ! :)

Dirtgirl, You are right. I am lucky that I have all of my family and all of our belongings as well as a roof over our head as well. I am, however, unlucky in that this sort of thing had to happen at all!!!

Thanks again and Brandi also said Thank you very much for the kind words.

See all of you at Montgomery city Sat for the open comp street stocks.

Jerry

Back