Happy Birthday Plum Crazy #81.

2xPILOT

www.strayrescue.org/
My dad Lloyd would have been 62 today. Like all of us, he had his faults. But I never once questioned how he felt about me. He was as dedicated a crew chief as any racer could ever hope to have. I'm not really into long, overly personal posts, but I think all budget racers can relate to this story. Belle Clair Speedway was going to run Pro-4's for the first time in 2010. Ryan Kress, My father and I sat down and set a goal to win the inaugural championship. I had run the same motor since 08' and it was really ragged out so we had it freshened up during the off season. We took it to the opening practice and it was a bullet. So there we sat, all our ducks in a row, ready for opening night. On race day I went to load the car and it was so sluggish it wouldn't go on the trailer. We dissected it from every angle, but to no avail... Plugs, wires, coil pack, fuses, on and on... I wanted to pull my hair out... we were running out of time. Pill draw ends at 6:15pm and it was way too late to get to Belleville by then even if my car was running right. I called Joe Swip and he graciously said I could run his car. So I grabbed my suit and helmet and headed to Bell Clair. I missed pill draw and would have to start in the back in a car I'd never driven. I got in his car and adjusted the belts to try and get comfortable, knowing that I had a steep hill to climb.... thats when my phone rang. I answered and my Dad said "Listen to this." In the background I heard the engine in my racecar roaring. I couldn't believe it. He explained that he started taking the top of the motor apart and found that a rocker arm had come unseated. Despite being terminally ill he quickly put it all back together, then loaded my car on the trailer by himself and drove it to Belle Clair. I'll never forget the sight of him speeding through the pits to get my car to me. We still had to start shotgun for missing pill draw but I was really chomping at the bit knowing what my Dad had gone through just to give me a shot. They dropped the flag and we took off to win the feature going away. That set a tone for the whole season and six months later we were track champions. My dad held on and he was a rockstar that night as we celebrated it. I wanted to tell this because nothing is more humbling, or more inspiring, than knowing someone will do whatever it takes to help you succeed. I'm not talking about money. I mean pure dedication, hours upon hours of work, just so you can have a chance. It doesn't matter what avenue, if someone in your life has done the same for you, thank them while they are still here.

-Aaron Wood #2x

Wonderful story Aaron.

I too have fond memories of my dad helping me in racing. He has been gone for over 20 years now. Always the gearhead, with hopped up Fords in the '30s. In WW2 he was a mechanic in the Marine Corps, and for a time was with the famous Black Sheep Squadron working on F4U Corsairs, and the fighting in the Pacific. Coming home he and my mom were huge racing fans, I caught the fever, when old enough, I said, "I want to race..." From that first ol' '55 Chevy, the ups and downs and broken bones along the way he was with me all the time.

One more time... thanks dad.

JP

Back