Has anyone noticed....

Sprintfan65

There is a certain sprint car driver that is a real big baby. It seams every week, he feels the need to exploit the rules by INTENTIONALLY stopping on the start of a race because he didnt get a good enough start and knowing he will get a second chance by bringing out the yellow flag. He is the only one who does this, and he does it just about every week. In my opinion, the rule needs to be changed. He should be black flagged and sent to the pits. Yes I am talking about the 21c driver, Joey, big baby, Montgomery. He is to good of a racer to do this sort of thing week in and week out. Tim Montgomery never does any this like that and he shows why he the best driver out there and he races clean. Grow Up Joey!!!!:mad:

hey i have also noticed that alot i mean i like joey but i have noticed that and yes he is to good of a racer to be doing that. You never see any one else in the sprints doing that even if they get a really bad start. timmy gets a really bad start sometimes but he doesnt do that he just sets his mind on where he needs to be and gets there.and i agree we do need to do something about that

Last night was my first night this year at SFCR so I can't speak for any other time this happened this year. Yes, I saw what he did on the start, SMART MOVE!! I see other driver's in all classes do it at other tracks, in my opinion, if the track officials aren't going to enforce it, then it's a pretty good move on the driver's part. The driver's that do this will continue until someone stops them.

It's part of the rulebook,so we see no problem with it,we tell our driver everytime he goes out to not foget,a bad start can hurt you,and I wish the rule was changed,but it aint,so it's going to happen,the racing was great last night,it looked like it was going to be like the old days.A boring freightrain on the bottom,but there was 3 wide racing front to back,cannnot hardly wait till next Saturday!

I agree! I have been going to the raceway for about five years and every time he doesn't get a good start;he all the sudden stalls for some reason. But it never seems to happen on the last lap!!!

He's not breaking any rules, only using them to his advantage. Why badmouth a guy for taking advantage of the rules? I think it's a smart move. He isn't the only one that has done it. Various other sprint car drivers have done the same thing. Some guys think quick enough and some don't. A guy has to take advantage of every legal thing possible. He's also taking a risk. If he is involved in another yellow, he has to leave the track. That hasn't bit him yet, but it could.

Very well said. I have seen it done in the other classes also. Some spin out to get a better start for someone else !!!!!!! Although, they say it is not illegal. And it does cost them 1 of there yellow calls. LeaDonna

Ok, maybe I was to harsh on Joey. But still they need to change that rule because he does take advantage of it way to much. For me, its as simple as this... If you cause a yellow flag, you go to the back of the pack and NOT get your spot back. If he gets in a minor wreck with some one I can see maybe restarting in their original spot, but come on, everybody can see that he does it intentionally becuse he screwed up on the start. Maybe I need to complain to Cory Franklin about it. Probably wont get no where though...

I am curious about the idea of one driving spinning out to cause a yellow for another......sounds like a conspiracy theory.

I have never met a race car driving willing to sacrifice themselves for someone else, not to mention it is nearly impossible for one driver to see another drivers situation unless they are right on top of it.

Maybe we should stick to things we know are true instead of trying to stir up trouble all of the time?

Jim

I am curious if you have ever watched a race at SFCR Jim? Because if you had then you would understand what these guys/gals are talking about. It happens quite a bit in the sportsman and sprint car classes. And a driver WOULD purposely cause a caution for another family member if they thought it would help and they do, it's very visible from the stands especially when it happens almost every Saturday night.

No one's gonna come out and admit it, so it's always gonna be speculation.

And a message board is for posting your opinion on anything, not just for facts only.

It happens all the time!

I am there every week and I can tell you that it happens all the time! I dont have a problem with any of these guys but I would like to see a rule change! This is getting old now! A crafty veteran noticed it this week and set out to find an official but couldnt find one. I wished he could have found one so the "Powers that Be" would realize that people are tired of seeing this all the time! Take the start that your dealt! If you were asleep at the wheel then deal with it. Think about all the drama that is going on behind you when you stall the car in that kind of traffic! If you ever got slammed real hard while doing this it may stop! It's not always about just you!

Change the rule a bit and see if these guys are still asleep at the wheel!

I have been to SFCR several times and have seen 21c shut it off on the back stretch many times, there is no question about that.

As far as one car causing a yellow to help another, I have never noticed that. I also agree that this board is not just for facts, speculation and opinion should be welcomed also. However, i do think that facts should priority over speculation and opinion.

As a casual observer with opinions of my own, I believe that speculation and opinion can be presented as facts and are easily confused with facts unless they are challenged.

If you think someone is doing something wrong, call them at it, be a part of the solution.

I think you guys should just get over it and leave Joey alone. He is just taking advantage of the rules like any competitive person would do. I don't like it, but would do it myself if it would get me an advantage. There is a disadvantage however. If you spin out on the next restart you really look like a fool. If you guys have a problem with the rule take it up with Cory. He is the one to talk to.

He may be taking advantage of the rules given, but he is also taking advantage of the paying fans. They don't go there to watch him win a race like that. And besides, if he does bobble a little bit on the start why stop on the back straight he's got 25 laps to make up for his mistake. If he's got that good of a car he'll win anyway, right?

And Jim pay attention to the numbers 98 & 99 in the sportsmans class. They are father and son and they do help each other out on that race track.

bigrightrear.......

Thank You !!!!!!! My point exactly ......... Anyone can just watch from the stands and see what all goes on. LeaDonna

Big Right Rear, I said that I didn't like it as a fan. It does slow down the racing and hurt that driver that did get a good jump. However, you still can't fault Joe for that. His goal is to win, not impress the fans. I still think that the problem is the rule. About the father-son that might be helping each other, look at Nascar, Indycar, F1, etc. You have fathers helping sons, friends helping friends, and teamates helping teamates. Last week for instance, Jeff Gordan couldn't have won the Pepsi 400 without the help of Jimmy Johnson. You're just not going to ever stop that.

Why can't I fault Joey for that? Nobody put a gun to him and made him do it. And his goal is to put on a show for the fans by winning fair and square.
NO FANS = NO SHOW. And this isn't Nascar last time I checked. Nascar is all about MONEY. They can win a race and actually make good money. Our local boys don't even break even at the end of the year. And as far as the father/son deal, you're talking about two different things. You're talking about teamates helping each other, I'm talking about one guy spinning or stopping on the track to purposely cause a caution because the other guy is in jeopardy of losing his spot. That's not gonna win those fans over doing it all the time. I might not be able to stop it personally, but these drivers(or Cory) read this message board more than you think and if they see the fans aren't taking a liking to what they are doing, maybe they'll stop it on their own.

Back