Helmet Ratings

ModRacer_1S

got dirt?
Just curious.... how many of you wear a helmet with a rating of M2000. I know it's for a motorcycle and is not tested against roll bar impacts, but you would think it's tested againts asphalt impacts? Lets hear your input please.
Thanks

in auto racing it is best to go with a sa rated helmet. not just the fact of the difference in impact testing but sa rated helmets normally have a nomex liner to them. the m rated helmets have nylon or other flammable linings. if you are straped into a race car, espically a stock cause of the roof and sometimes tight exits, it is best to go with the sa rating. alot of track and sanctioning bodies only allow the sa ratings. some even require a sa2000 or sa95 rating. i wear a m rated helmet kart racing, but fire protection isn't a priority in karting. if you wear a nomex suit you should get a nomex lined helmet too. you could call simpson race products and ask them. they have always been nice to me and answered all my questions. the number is 1-800-654-7223. you may want to also check with you local track or sanctioning body. they would be glad to help you out to.

I think it depends on the manufacture. If you look at a Simpson helmet the only difference between the SA and the M rating seems to be the nomex liner. I decided to spend the extra money and buy an SA rated one and that is why I am selling my old one.

I sell helmets,lots of them,at one time I was a Bell WD,it is true with a SA rated bucket (slang for helmet) you get a flame retardent liner,some SA's come with a thicker shield and in the higher priced ones some improved padding,..As the cost of any given helmet goes up so should the protection offered.You can be sure that most all helmets that have a SNELL rating of any kind will afford the user more protection than a non snell DOT approved one.I sell mostly SNELL M2000 helmets,if I thought for one minute that the difference between a M and a SA rated bucket would comprmise the users safety i would not sell them.Cost can be a factor in buying a helmet,SA rated helmets run from $250 to $750 and higher,some racers just cant afford to pay that much.I trust the helmets I sell to protect the user in a reasonable manor,in order to earn the SNELL rating they have been tested in the SNELL labs to withstand the impact of some big old bikers head hitting the pavement,I am sure they will withstand a racers head hitting a padded roll bar,,you all do use padding,don't you?

m rated helmets tend to have a larger eyeport opening,and that in itself offers less protection.(the helmet can take more of a hit than the lexan shield)with all due respect to what fireball said(he knows his stuff),if you have a $75 head,then buy a $75 helmet.dont skimp on safety related stuff,guys.its not worth it.and remember...it CAN happen to you.

art well said. you really shouldn't get cheap on your safety equipment. gotta protect the driver or the car doesn't get very far.

the actuall statment was coined by a fellow that used to own RACERS WORLD in crawfordsville in. I belive his name was WAYNE,he said,IF YOU GOT A $10 HEAD,WEAR A $10 HELMET,,you can get a SA rated helmet with most any size eyeport,the open wheel racers prefer the smaller opening for ,as midget racer said,debris protection but also for FIRE protection,the smaller the opening the less chance FIRE will invade the inside of the helmet,,when I was in RANTOUL Il.a few weeks ago I stoped by the BELL wearhouse,from what I saw the basic desgine of helmets has not changed drastically in years,what has changed is the the venting,eg.air flow through a helmet,also there has been a lot of areodynamics added to the outside of the helmet to reduce drag on the driver especially in a open wheeled car,,so drivers need the larger eye opening if they wear glasses,in all SA rated helmets I belive the shield is .80 thick,M rated usuall come with a .50 thickness,most DOT have a .30 shild thickness,,I will try to get some info on the SNELL ratings and what standards they go by when rating a helmet.I used to have a phone no. for them..I fully agree ,if a racer can afford to buy a SA rated helmet thats super,but if their pocket book aint deep enough then I feel I offer a safe alternative,my helmets are not $75 helmets,they retail for $150 up,just cause I give the racers arround here a discount do not make my helmets of any less quality..

FUNNY SNELL RATED BUCKET STORY

This is getting off the main idea in this thread but this discussion of SNELL rating reminded me of a story related to me by a well known local racer,,Seems he showed up at a track to run some kind of BIG show,when he was handed the rules for the race stated in BIG letters was the following,,under safety equipment,HELMETS MUST BE SNELL 95 APPROVED,they will be inspected prior to entering the racing surface,well he knew his helmet was a SNELL 90 and would not be allowed,so he sent his pit guy down the road to WALLMART (yes WALLY WORLD sells SNELL rated helmets,not SAs only Ms)to buy a current rated helmet,took it in the trailer with a hair drier and removed the SNELL sticker in the helmet he just got and "installed"it in his helmet thus making it legal,,..Of coarse they took the new helmet back to Wallmart for a full refund,telling them it did not fit or the collor didnt match his car,,who knows,,TRUE STORY....

Thanks to all that replied..
Fireball, patriot helmet is sharp. However my better half requires me to have an SA rated helmet. Is that helmet only M rated?

Back