Help, Help, Help...!!!!!!!!!

smaldirt28

Ok i am already bald enough and i am pulling what hair i have left out trying to figure out what is wrong with my sportsman car. The car falls on its face coming out of the corner to the middle of the straight away and then it clears out some. I am not smoking when racing or even idling at that. The motor doesn't pop or anything just almost like starving for fuel or something grounding out on something else.

I have replaced all the following things:
Distributor (has done this with 2 different ones now)
Spark Plugs
Wires
Accelerator pump in the carb. (and cleaned the carb really good)
Carb. spacer
different coil and all on the distributor
I have checked the float level in the carb.
Fuel filter is not very old at all

I have checked the pickup tube in the fuel cell and it isn't near the side to wear it could be getting blocked off. I run aluminum fuel line so it can't be the line collasping. Fuel line is also away from any excessive heat. Now i did notice on friday night when trying to find something wrong with it that it was puffing some black smoke out of the header on the passenger side when reving it up. But this only happens when it is at running temp. When it is cool it is fine and doesn't puff any smoke.

I am running out of things to really check but i do have a few questions on other things i think it could be. Can it be a fuel pump? I run a mechanical one but my thoughts were either they are good or they are bad. Does a fuel pump ever just go out slightly? Then could it be anything with the carb? Like i have said i have tried everything and can't seem to find the problem. I has been going on for like 4 weeks now and it is getting really old. Any help or suggestions would be great. Please post on here or email me at smaldirt128@hotmail.com. Thank you all in advance and sorry about the novel.....:D

Tom

i had the same problem with my sportsman mine was 2 things first was the squirters in the card. and the other was the fuel pump also if you are running a fuel regulater try making sure its not plugged up or bad i would try those things and if none of them work it might be the msd box or it is internal

You might want to check your battery for a dead cell I had this sort of thing happen to me. It only stumbled at wire open throttle in third and fourth gear.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will check into all of it that everyone is recommending. I had a PM from some that said to check my toggle switch because they had one go bad. Sounds pretty logical to me. Anyone else ever had that problem? I know it is going to be something simple but to find it is a different story.....:D . Thanks everyone and keep the help coming.....:D

Tom

Yes..check the toggle switch..and make sure its a high amp rated switch . Also...like was posted...check the 2 squirters in the carb..take the phillips screw out..carefully..and lift the housing out. They are good for ****ing dirt in there. If you dont run a ppressure regulator...get one. Some pumps..after time...will fluctuate pressure at high rpms....a regulator quiets this down. Good luck..let us know..thanks

sorry about the apastropies...lol...****ing isnt a bad word but some sites bleep those out..lol....meant..ok..vaccuming dirt in there..lol

Be sure to check or better yey replace your needle and seat if you are not running a regulator with a return line to the tank.........

Ok well i just thought of something else. Although i am going to do most of the things that all you mentioned in the above posts.

squirter, fuel pump, clean air bleeds, power valve, toggle switch, needle and seat.

Do any of you think that some of it may be unnecessary? What about the dead cell in the battery? Never heard of it but never know.....right????

Ok what i did think of though was we had to relocate the seperate starting solenoid my last night up at pevely due to location, etc. I used to have it bolted to a roll bar but now i have it attached to the wall of the cockpit (aluminum). Could that possibly be the cause of my problem? Possibly not getting the correct ground or a good enough ground since it is part of the ignition? I am really hoping this may be it and i will feel really stupid if it is being that it is such a simple and stupid mistake.....lol.....We all make those sometimes though:D ....Please give me your thoughts on that please. Thank you all for you time and help with suggestions for my problem. I will be sure to let you all know after the weekend if it is fixed b/c unfortunately i don't know if it is fixed till i am on the track racing. Thank you all again!!!!!!

Tom

Well...its a possibility...good groundis needed for the solenoid to maintain itsself in the on position...if you've had the chassis powdercoated...that would double the problem. Hope it all works out for you..good luck

Car is FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......lol.....:D .....Thank you all for your help this week. I replaced the fuel pump, went through the entire carb really good and put in a new needle and seat, powervalve and gaskets, and replaced the fuel filter. So it was a combo of all that stuff or one of them. Don't know which for sure but i do know that i am very glad to be able to step on the gas and actually be able to go somewhere. Ran 2nd to my teammate at Belleville last night. Thank you all again for you suggestions and comments.

Tom

Great to hear!! On an added note...just may try this...throw that power valve in the garbage and buy a block off plate..its about 20 bucks...but..you never ever have to worry or question whether thats an issue. Just have to run the carb 2 jets more rich. Good run there..as well.

Back