Highland's insurance?

drt_trk_tarzan

Im a racin fan from way back and decided to get out there this year. I ran three times last year @ highland so they sent me some driver info in the mail.
It basicly said drivers must sign this insurance waiver that releases the "TRACK" from any liability in any circumstances, no matter who's fault the incident.
Is this standard policy? If so, why does the track even have insurance?
Mabey im not understanding it right. if someone could set me straight that would be great.
thanks, concerned fan/driver

by signing the paper it just gives them a signature. Some tracks try to do this from having to pay the bills if someone were to get hurt. These papers would never have a chance to stand up in court.

Basically, you have to sign a form that indicates you won't hold the track responsible if you get hurt while there. The insurance policy is still effective, but the track isn't responsible if you get hurt.

All tracks have insurance. The paper that you sign to enter the pits waives your right to sue the track for any injuries sustained as a result of racing or being injured from the races while a spectator. It usually does not waive your right to sue for injuries sustained as a result of non racing related injuries. An example is if you were injured as a result of faulty bleachers. Normally the waiver would not cover that type of injury. The waiver would stand up in court for racing related injuries.

Your concerns should be directed to a lawyer. I'm not sure if they are but, no one that has responded has said if they are a lawyer. I do know that that letter was written by a lawyer.

I don't have the letter, so I cannot comment.
But, I would strongly suggest you have your own insurance
that covers racing. (Life and medical)

Talk to a lawyer? What for? So he can tell you that if you want to be in the pits or on the track at Highland, you have to sign this document, then take $100 from you? This is pretty simple. You choose to be there, you assume the risks associated with it. The insurance policy pays what it pays if you get hurt, and thats that, nothing more.

Sign it, or don't race there, cause they darn sure arent going to allow you past the pit shack without signing.

t.nie said:
This is pretty simple. You choose to be there, you assume the risks associated with it. The insurance policy pays what it pays if you get hurt, and thats that, nothing more.

Sign it, or don't race there, cause they darn sure arent going to allow you past the pit shack without signing.

PRETTY WELL SUMS IT UP. THIS FORM IS JUST TRYING TO PREVENT A MAJOR LAWSUIT. BUT FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD FROM OTHER TRACKS, IT DOESN'T SEEM TO.

I once knew a guy who knew someone that used to work next door to an attorney and they told me that the track insurance only pays for injuries suffered as a result of negligence by the track. If you are injured as a result of racing or any of the activities surounding it, such as working in the pits, the insurance will not pay. The people that believe that signing the release is worthless and that the insurance will pay just because you are hurt are wrong!

1st everything on this is hearsay and nothing more. Each track is different.
I'm not sure what the track insurance will pay for and what they won't pay for, and I don't think anyone else does either, unless they have recently been injured at Highland within the past year. I also have suspesions that the policy may have changed for this year.

My point is if you are CONCERNED you need to ask a lawyer, and not this forum. Then make your decion to race or not to race there.

If your not concerned sign it and race.

nuff said.

I am just wondering where GAS it gets off telling other people what to do. Concerned or not, you want to race at Highland, you will sign the form and you will be bound by it to get past the pit shack. And that is not hearsay, that is a cold hard fact.

And by the way, GAS it, just because you don't have a clue as to what a lot of that legal ease junk means in the real world, and would need a lawyer to hold your hand before you signed it, or the fact that I dont have a JD, doesn't mean I am clueless as you wish to imply.

Don't judge others by your lack of knowledge. Some of us are a lot smarter and more legally savvy than you might think. JD or not.

I never said not to sign the paper at the shack, or to sign it. I know you will have to sign it if you want to race there. But, what is hearsay is what their policy will cover and not cover. Unless you have a copy of the policy, where do you get off stating what the policy will cover and what it won't?
If you have a copy, I apologize. Can I read it? Do you have a copy of the letter they sent?

Do you know that Highland has recently been sued for an accident that happend last year? Do you think that that individual signed the sheet at the pit shack? Do you know the outcome of that suit?

The policy covers whatever it covers, as I already said. If you want to look the insurance over (like, this is at the forefront of everyone's mind when determining where they are going to race) I am sure the Sharpshooters over that way would be more than glad to let you, and your lawyer, look it over. Yes, I am very aware of the circumstances surrounding Tomcat Carson's father, and the suit, and the amounts involved, when it was filed, where, and that it has not been resolved as of yet, and darn near everything else, up to and including the rule changes for the hornet class this year, as well as the alterations to the track layout and the increased height of the fences. Yes, I did receive the letter from Highland, yes I did read it, and yes I do know what I am talking about. No you cannot read it, but I am sure if you contact Charlie Depew at the numbers given on Highland Speedways website www.highlandspeedway.com he will be more than happy to provide you with a copy. I might still have the one they sent me, but to be honest, I think I pitched it in the trash can cause I doubt I will be racing at Highland on Saturday nights this year, and if I do make the trip over there, I bet they are going to have a stack of them at the pit shack and will be checking to make sure everyone who signs in there has one on file. So I will sign one when I get there, if I get there.

Is that good enough for you? Or would you like me to turn it over to my lawyer?

Oh, and by the way, when you posted this:
GAS It said:
I also have suspesions that the policy may have changed for this year.
you are simply starting rumors. Until you have some facts to back this up, maybe keeping your suspicions to yourself would be a good idea.

Well said Todd...well said. Like the Andy Melenthine accident years ago..that deal was a mess from the start..and im sure...still aint all over with. Things happen...on..or off the track..and with todays insurance companies..and lawyers(yep..good ole madison county lawyers) i dont care what you sign..how you sign it...even if the track said in the contract..you are 100 percent covered on anything..do the fans in the stands..sign anything..when they walk in the gates?? Nope...wanna know why??? Ask their insurance companies..or any insurance company for that matter. If said paper ever stated you would be covered for whatever happens..if it did unfortunatley happen..you will see exactly what im saying..it will be a fight..and i doubt anyone will ever get compensated 100 percent for anything anymore that happens due to a racing accident or event.

A couple more lawsuits, and there wont be any place to race , and if you do race it will cost a fortune to get in the pits.People know its dangerous in the pits, and to sue a track because you got hurt , is pure BS.You know the risks when you walk in the gate. .

1st Rail, it also agree.

Tnie Man your totally off base.

I am simply making a point, that if your concerned with the tracks policy, to have it reviewed with someone qualified and not on a message board.

Do I think it will make a difference if one decides to race there? No I don't, people are going to race and attend because they want to. But, I just think it would be a good idea to know what is going to happen if they get hurt.

Lastly, your stating I'm just starting rumor's, but you're confirming my thoughts about the changes and the reason(s) for the changes.

I can tell you what will happen if I get hurt. I will make a claim on the tracks policy. If they don't pay up, or refuse to pay the full deal, I will contact a lawyer, who will then advise me of the appropriate action to take, if any at all. Then that is what I will do. Just like anyone else who has any sense would do. Until something happens, I wont spend a dime talking to anyone who is going to charge me to tell me stuff that is totally irrelevant until something actually happens. And I would not advise anyone to waste their money doing so, either.

Don't make any difference what form you sign, the risk is still the same. I don't need a lawyer to tell me that. If we all go running off to our lawyers, demanding all kinds of answers from the promoters etc, before we even hit the track, how long do you think it will be before we are signing lengthy iron-clad contracts before we are allowed to race anywhere? How many tracks and promoters will go completely nuts to protect themselves from overzealous racers with lawyers? What next, we sign contracts with tracks stipulating that we must show proof of our own insurance, purchased at our own expense, before the track lets us race?

Yeah, just what we need, more people lawyering up and complicating things even more.

^5 Todd...well said..again. Like the deal with the boys..in that so called mob action fight..and the 1 kid..got hurt bad. I feel for that kid..he could have been killed...but..if you dont put yourself in said situations...then nothing like that will ever happen to you. And that is a fact. If you dont want anything to happen to you..in a race car..dont race..ever. Problem now a days is if someone falls on a clog of dirt...they sue. And i feel for the track owners..i can imagine what their insurance rates are. I know what we pay at work..and its totally ridiculous.

Back