Hill Posts Career-Best Canadian Sprint Car Nationals Performance

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - OHSWEKEN, Ontario, Canada (Sept. 18, 2018) - Alex Hill enjoyed her best racing weekend of the year last Friday and Saturday at Ohsweken Speedway, which hosted the 14th annual Canadian Sprint Car Nationals presented by Arrow Express.

The 18-year-old finished second in a make-up feature from July 20 and she garnered a top 10 during the opening round of the Canadian Sprint Car Nationals on Friday night. She followed that up the next night by qualifying for her first Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A Main.

5cf00b98-1f47-48cc-bb23-bedb3a045871.jpg
"We had a really good weekend, finally," she said. "I had a great car and I was happy to qualify for my first Canadian Nationals."

Hill's weekend got off to a solid start on Friday with the running of the July 20 feature, which had been postponed due to rain. She started second in the 26-car field and grabbed the lead when the race began before eventually scoring her first top-five finish of the year with a runner-up result.

"I think I had a pretty good lead until there was a red flag on Lap 5," she said. "Then Chuck Hebing passed me on the restart. I was able to close on him about midway through the race and challenge him. I wasn't able to pass him, but I did pull alongside him. But then we got into lapped traffic. I got stuck behind a couple of cars and he was able to pull away.

"With about two laps to go Mark Smith passed me, but I was able to edge back ahead of him at the finish. It was great to finish second after racing with guys like Chuck and Mark. My crew gave me a great car. It could run anywhere on the track."

Later that night, Hill started seventh in her heat race.

"I made it up to fifth in the first few laps and finished fourth," she said. "That put us in one of the two A Mains."

Hill started her feature from the ninth starting spot, which is where she finished for her second top-10 finish of the night and third of the year.

"I dropped a spot or two early in the race, but was able to come back a little bit," she said. "My car was good. It was just difficult to move ahead. There was a lot of tough competition."

Saturday night also began well for Hill in qualifying.

"I was fourth quick in my group and I think we were sixth quick overall," she said. "I started third in my heat. Jared Zimbardi got by me and we had a good battle for third most of the race. But I couldn't get by him and finished fourth."

Her heat race finish placed her on the pole starting position for one of the B Mains, from which the top two finishers transferred into the Canadian Sprint Car Nationals main event.

"The B Main went really well," she said. "I was able to get the lead at the start and lead it to the finish. I'm not sure if I won by very much, but I didn't see or hear anyone challenging me."

The victory qualified Hill for her first career Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A Main. She took the green flag from the 19th starting position in the 30-car starting field.

"I started so far back and everyone was on the bottom at the beginning so it was tough to move forward," she said after finishing 18th. "Once I got lapped I just kind of drove my own race and tried to stay out of the leader's way.

"It was great to finally make my goal of qualifying for the A Main of the Nationals after being so close before. Two years ago I missed it by two positions and last year it was by one."

Hill will move on to the 8th annual Jesse Hockett/Daniel McMillin Memorial this Thursday through Saturday at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., with the Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour presented by SawBlade.com.

"I always look forward to racing at Lucas Oil Speedway," she said. "It's a really nice facility and one of my favorite tracks. I'm especially excited following our success last weekend."

QUICK RESULTS -

Sept. 14 - Ohsweken Speedway in Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada - Make-Up Feature: 2 (1); Heat race: 4 (7); Feature: 9 (9).

Sept. 15 - Ohsweken Speedway in Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada - Qualifying: 4; Heat race: 4 (3); B Main: 1 (1); Feature: 18 (19).

SEASON STATS -

45 races, 0 wins, 1 top fives, 3 top 10, 13 top 15s, 24 top 20s

UP NEXT -

Thursday through Saturday at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., for the 8th annual Jesse Hockett/Daniel McMillin Memorial with the Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour presented by SawBlade.com

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HillsRacingTeam

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hillsracing/

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Slade Shock Technology

Slade Shock Technology is a cutting edge shock and bump stop technology company offering new and used sales along with complete repair, re-valving and rebuilding of all major brands of shocks used in racing across the country today, Located in Fostoria, Ohio, Slade has about 30 years of experience in working with shocks and offers Pro, Afco, Penske, Integra and FK shocks for sale. Slade can also handle the repair and service of nearly every brand of shock used in racing today. For more information, visit http://www.SladeShockTechnology.com .

"All of the Hill's Racing Team cars use shocks from Slade Shock Technology," Hill said. "We enjoy working with Eric and the product and service he provides."

Hill would also like to thank BearPaw Gas and Convenience, Townline Variety, Tony Stewart Racing, Ackland Insurance, Cool Chassis, Creative Edge Signs & Graphics, Keizer Aluminum Wheels, Lettrage Pixel, XYZ Machining, Fisher Racing Engines, Strodes BBQ and Deli, Gaerte/TOPP Performance Race Products, Strodes BBQ and Deli, Allstar Performance, PPM Racing Products, PAC Racing Springs, Wilwood, DMI, MicroBlue, Vortex Racing Products, Saldana Racing Products, Kinsler Fuel Injection, KSE Racing Products and Brown & Miller Racing Solutions for their continued support.

Back