Historic Calistoga Speedway to Conclude 2018 Season with Two-Day World of Outlaws Invasion

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CONCORD, NC – September 6, 2018 – The World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series will conclude all West Coast appearances for the 40th Anniversary season at quite possibly the most scenic facility in the country, Calistoga Speedway, on Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15. The 2018 Wine Country Outlaw Showdown will also wrap up the racing season at the historic speedway.

Calistoga has been a staple on the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Series schedule throughout its 40-year history, dating back to 1978 when Rick Ferkel won the first World of Outlaws event contested at the half-mile during the inaugural season.

The past two years at the famed half-mile, Brad Sweet and Donny Schatz have split the weekend with a win each, and heading into the 2018 edition, Sweet and Schatz continue to lead the Series regulars from track to track.

Sweet, a California native, always enjoys coming home to race at the historic facility. “We race all over the country all season-long, so it’s always good to be able to come back home and race in front of your friends and family,” Sweet said of the hometown date.

Of course, added success at the half-mile doesn’t hurt the cause as well. “I have had a lot of success at Calistoga over the years. It’s one of the most scenic tracks in the country, and it’s treated me well throughout my career,” added Sweet, who has won three of the last six World of Outlaws events at the facility.

As always on the West Coast, a strong contingent of locals will be on hand looking to steal a win from the Outlaws. While the California locals have had their fair share of success around the state, they have never defeated the Outlaws at the big half-mile. Expect Kyle Hirst, Bud Kaeding, Gio Scelzi and the rest of the Golden State natives to look to change that in 2018.

Tickets for the Wine Country Outlaw Showdown are still available online. If you can’t make it to the track, be sure to watch all the action LIVE on DIRTVision.com!

Back