I-55 Raceway getting a surface tuneup!!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Bloomsdale Excavating began work this week at I-55 Raceway. They are using a satellite GPS system to get the entire surface leveled out and the banking all uniform...

COOL!!

That's pretty cool! Maybe they could do Highland like that so their is only one angle of banking in the corners instead of 2 or 3. Just a suggestion.

When was the last time they did this?pretty cool though. the last race i went to there the track looked like it had a lot of low spots.Can't wait till april.

I wish they would go back to the same clay that used to be in there when George worked the track. Not saying Ray doesn't do a good job, he does, I just liked the old clay better. With the right amount of water the track would stay tacky ALL night long.

Awesome

The commitment of excellence by Ray & Kenny is outstanding, I feel that this is just another example that they are trying to do what ever it takes to make this the best track around.

Is the banking going back to what it use to be or will it be the same as the last few years?
This is a good move and other tracks need to follow up.

Originally posted by jpugh
Is the banking going back to what it use to be or will it be the same as the last few years?
This is a good move and other tracks need to follow up.

Yeah, it's a good move. I'm sure all the tracks would love to redo their surface with the help of a satellite GPS system. Unfortunately, Pevely is the only area track that has the luxury of being bankrolled by a over-the-hill cup driver and his million$.

I JUST HOPE THE ADDITION OF NEW DIRT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY ANY BANKING. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL REMOVE SOME OF THE OLD RUBBER FILLED DIRT. I KNOW OVER THE YEARS, THE LOW SIDE HAS CREEPED UP.

I'm not tellin how I know or who I am but I can guaruntee there was no banking lost, just added. There was a great deal of dirt put in the entrance to the turns. I-55 basically looks like a big Chili Bowl now. It should DEFINATELY be faster. One more thing, you now that big dip going into turn three? Well, it's gone

Kenny & Ray at I-55 made a business decision to invest in new dirt. Could other local tracks do the same thing? I'm sure some could, but not all. When dirt takes a lot of rubber season after season it tends to lose its ability to hold moisture.

Drivers and fans have been lobbying several other local tracks for years to get new dirt. In my opinion, Belle Clair and Highland could use new dirt. That's intended to be a knock. I like both tracks.

I think any track owner/operator who can afford make a similar investment should, but again, it's their money, not mine. They have a right to spend it or keep it.

And, drivers and fans have a right to spend their money at the track of their choice, regardless if the dirt is new or not.

TTG/MM

Good points but. . . Who says it cost them anything? Bloomsdale Excavating is a track sponsor. They very well could have done it for free. No one ever said Ray and Kenny paid for anything. They could have gotten the dirt and off their own property. If all they paid for was 4 truck for 2 days then that ain't nothin'.

Maybe other tracks could do it but just don't have the proper connections with the right people.

like they say, "It's not what ya know it's who you know"

Trust me, the surveying, GPS equipment, dirt, it is all expensive. Even if the excavator is a track sponser, that doesn't cover their expenses. Drivers have to be paid, the owner of the borrow pit where the dirt is coming from has to be paid, the surveying company has to be paid, and GPS equipment is EXPENSIVE.

How would I know.....let's just say I work at a civil engineering/surveying/consulting firm that also has GPS equipment.

Yea, what do I know too. Maybe I could be the guy that redesigned the racing surface at Pevely and was also there to make sure the material was placed correctly.

Hmm. Who knows. It's gonna be fast though

I bet you see some really good things happen to I-55 in this off-season and in the year to come... Keep up the good work Ray!! That's Ray Marler - track owner.... LOL... Hey Ray, has that part sunk in yet? Just think, now you can do all the things to that track you wanted to do in the past.....! Oh yeah, and some other guy named Kenny,, Kenny,,,, hummmmmmm... I can't remember his last name...

Back