Inconsistant Nascar now!!!!

Scruffy

Ryan Newman was docked 25 points for his right rear quarter panel height not meeting specs. Now how the heck is a oil tank lid a 100 pts and the the rear quater panel which was higher than specs and would gain more down force not the same 100 pts I don't get this BS????? These MORONS running this circus these days are ruinning this sport totally!!!!!!! Lets here what everyone else thinks of this BS,cause I think Carl and Roush got scewed here bad!!!!:mad::mad::(

I don't know of anyone on this board who would be well enough versed in aerodynamics or NASCAR rules to adequatly answer that question. Maybe there wasn't the same degree of gain for Newman, or maybe the intention to bend the rules was not as obvious as with Carl Edwards. Remember there were a bunch of Busch Series cars found cheating with the oil cooler cover prior to Edwards being caught.

But I have to agree with you, it doesn't seem right.

I think there's a big safety issue with the oil tank lid missing in the fact that based on that I heard on a telecast could cause oil to get in the cockpit in a rollover accident. Not to mention there are added downforce benefits that are obtained from that lid being off. Something about the pressure being able to escape from under the car, not exactly sure. However Newman's car would have had to pass pre race inspection. It was only an 1/8 of an inch, and something obviously had to happen during the race for that to happen. Who knows with that.

However the consistency question is true, because in my humble opinion the oil lid incident isn't in the same league as the whole Michael Waltrip fuel incident, but penalty was pretty much the same.

There is a larger advantage without the oil lid than a quarter inch of quarter height, beliewve it or not. I put bodies on these things every day and look at windtunnel numbers. Although NASCAR gives a half inch tolerance to start with the quarter and they were still illegal. Only thing is shocks and springs settle in different ways, wedge adjustments or a track bar adjustment can change quarter heights too. Doubt that it was intentional.

The reason that it is only 25 points is because of the fact that there was no modification done to the car. Removing the oil tank lid is a modification. Getting the right rear too high can result from changing wedge or the track bar through out the race. It happened a few time last year and the year before with the exact same penalty. The height of the car was something that happened durning the race and unintentional. The only time there has been 100 point fines is when there have been illegal modification to the car itself and not on height infractions. They have yet to give a 100 point infraction to someone whose car has been too high or too low

I don't think it's out of line at all. The safety issue of the oil cooler penalty makes perfect sense, plus to hear Danny50 speak as an expert on the situation is enough for me.

Back