Independence Day Tony Stewart Racing’s McMahan Seeks Holiday Fireworks In World of Outlaws Sprint Se

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
INDIANAPOLIS (July 3, 2007) – Tony Stewart Racing’s (TSR) Paul McMahan was joking when he said the team was looking for a happy meal as they rolled into the upper Midwest last weekend with the World of Outlaws (WoO) Sprint Series. All jokes aside, not only did the team get its happy meal by virtue of a victory at Cedar Lake (Wis.) Speedway on July 1, they also picked up the hardware and the $10,000 payday that comes with winning a WoO Sprint Series A-main event.

It’s something McMahan could get used to.

With two more chances to find the winner’s circle this week, McMahan and the No. 20 TSR/Bass Pro Shops/Eagle team will head to Huset’s Speedway in Brandon, S.D., on Tuesday for some pre-holiday racing. Then, after taking some time to spend the Fourth of July with family, the No. 20 TSR team will return to action on Saturday at I-55 Raceway in Pevely, Mo., which is near the headquarters of the team’s title sponsor, Bass Pro Shops.

The TSR team hopes that the holiday spirit will not only help it find a good fireworks show on Wednesday, but a week’s worth of blinding flashes by the way of cameras in victory lane.

McMahan’s last appearance at the 3/8-mile Huset’s Speedway on July 7, 2006, saw him earn a 10th-place finish. Terry McCarl won the event, which was the second appearance the WoO Sprint Series made at the track last year. Brooke Tatnell won the first A-main on May 7, 2006. McMahan finished ninth.

The No. 20 TSR/Bass Pro Shops/Eagle team had one solid performance at I-55 Raceway in 2006 as McMahan earned a 12th-place finish the WoO Sprint Series A-main on April 1. Donny Schatz won the event. McMahan did not compete in the series’ second stop at the facility due to a conflict with the team’s obligations to the National Sprint Tour (NST) Series.

In 38 starts this season, McMahan has two victories, three fast-time awards, nine top-five finishes and 19 top-10s in WoO Sprint Series competition. He is ranked eighth in the WoO championship with 5,022 points. He trails series leader Schatz by 521 points and is only 147 points out of the top-five.

Gates will open at Huset’s Speedway at 4:30 p.m. CDT on Tuesday. Hot laps are set to begin at 7 p.m. For tickets or information regarding Huset’s Speedway, call 605-582-3526 or 605-582-3819. For more information regarding Huset’s Speedway, log on to www.husets-speedway.com.

Grandstand gates will open on Saturday at I-55 Raceway at 3 p.m. CDT. Hot laps will begin at 6:15 p.m. To purchase tickets for the event, call 636-479-3219 or visit www.i55raceway.com.

Race fans can listen to all the action from this weekend on the DIRTVision.com cybercast, as well as on the DIRT Radio Network. Visit www.DIRTVision.com for more information on all the features, including updated results from each night of racing, as well as a chat room to interact with other fans listening to the action.

The WoO Sprint Series also returns to television this year with the series’ fourth broadcast on ESPN2 set for Sunday at 11:30 a.m. EDT. A total of 20 races will be televised either on SPEED or ESPN2, including the World of Outlaws SuperClean Summer of Money Series. ESPN2 is broadcasting eight races from last Sunday through August 5. All shows on ESPN2 begin at 12:30 p.m. EDT. For a complete television schedule, or more information regarding the WoO Sprint Series, log on to www.worldofoutlaws.com.

Quotes from Paul McMahan, driver of the No. 20 TSR/Bass Pro Shops/Eagle:

With two races and the Fourth of July coming up this week, will breaking the rhythm slow the team’s momentum?

“In terms of our races this week, I think we’re going to have two very good shots at getting another win. Huset’s Speedway is a 3/8-mile, which is one of the track configurations that I really enjoy racing on and have found success with in the past. I also love a high banking. It’s a lot of fun to carry a lot of speed around a track. On Saturday, it will be all about track position and staying ahead of the track’s changes. Short tracks give you some of the best racing and I-55 Raceway never disappoints. I’m also really looking forward to getting to spend some time with my family on July 4th. We’re going to head out to the lake with family friends for some boating. The kids have a great time and it’s a nice escape from the road. Hopefully, we’ll be relaxed and ready to get a win in Pevely on Saturday for the Bass Pro folks in their home state.”

For complete WoO Sprint Series results, log on to www.worldofoutlaws.com. For information regarding Stewart, McMahan, Bass Pro Shops or Chevrolet, log on to www.tonystewartracing.com, www.paulmcmahanracing.com, www.basspro.com or www.chevrolet.com.

-TSR-

In less than three decades, Bass Pro Shops has grown from a small display in Springfield, Mo., into the nation’s leading retailer of premium outdoor gear. Bass Pro Shops has established itself as a cutting-edge innovator in the highly competitive world of outdoor retailing often imitated by other outdoor retailers. Now totaling 41 locations nationwide, and planning to add up to eight more stores in 2007, Bass Pro Shops have become destination locations for over 80 million consumers each year with their unique combination of entertainment, outdoor education and conservation appreciation. Bass Pro Shops has won the prestigious “Trendsetter of the Year” award, as well as Chain Store Age’s “Retailer of the Year” award and Sporting Goods Business' “Specialty Retailer of the Year” award. The company also has been named the #1 Outdoor Retailer in America by Sporting Goods Business magazine for the past two years. For more information regarding Bass Pro Shops, store locations and racing involvement, log on to

www.basspro.com.

Back