intake gaskets

Ben34

I have an 86 350 and switched from the stock heads to 882's and ever since can't get the front and rear intake gaskets to keep from sliding out after about a week of racing. Any help with what kind of gaskets to get would help alot.
Thanks
Ben Molitor

Don't use the rubber front and rear gaskets on the intake. All ya need to do is lay a good thick bead of silicone along where the gaskets go. I use Black Hi Temp Silicone. This should stop all the problems with that. Good Luck!

Tom

yep thats the ticket,ultra black works well to,like smalldirt said use a thick bead-let it cure well

Hey Ben, It's Tim, long time no see. I hear your tearing up the track now. If you continue to have problems, call me. You know where I live, and my # is in the book. Good Luck. P.S. I might sell my 441 heads.

so far so good! we changed the gaskets saturday morning and my brother suggested weatherstrip adhesive on the bottom and it looks good so far. Didn't gat to race saturday night but we'll hope for the best. Thanks for the help

Ben Molitor

The 1st thing I do, when I get a new gasket set, is to throw away those rubber end gaskets. Every manufacturer of aluminum intakes says to use a 1/4 inch bead of high temp silicone.

GM hasn't used the gaskets for years! They quit using them in the 80's because they are prone to leaks. If the factory has used silicon for years with great sucess, then it will probably work for us. Weather strip adhesive on the gaskets might work for a while, but you should listen to the replies of those who have experienced what you are trying to do. Good luck.

The weather strip adhesive holds them in place to good. With the thermal expansion and contraction of the block and intake it will tear the end seals instead of pushing them out. This is case 9 out of 10 times if it's an aluminum intake.

Stock Cast intake, Not aluminum, so everything should expand and shrink at the same rate and the thermal expansion is only a few thousandths of an inch anyway. It's on there till it starts leaking and if it does, then I will use silicone. The newer engines for gm don't have the 3/16" gap, they maybe have 1/16" gap and that's why they just use silicone.

Back