Izzo hopes to energize the La Salle Speedway in 2009

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By: Betty Glynn

La Salle, IL – A former three time track champion of the La Salle Speedway has taken his game to a new level in 2009. Joe Izzo wheeled a race car around the high banked ¼ mile dirt track for many years as a competitor. He visited victory circle frequently and scored big wins on his home turf, as well as other venues. He knows first hand the passion and dedication it takes for a driver to build their race team into a well oiled machine. The season doesn’t start in May and end in September for drivers in any division. As a matter of fact, the average racer dedicates months of intensive labor building and preparing their cars, buying, selling, and even bartering for their equipment.

In addition, they still have to work at searching for sponsors to support their racing addiction. Joe knows it is so much more than just pulling into the grounds on Saturday nights at the Illinois Valley’s largest outdoor arena. He has also witnessed the hard work and dedication it requires to run the business end of the speedway. After fifteen years of racing, three track championships in La Salle alone, big victories on the road, and memorable celebrations like winning during speedweeks in Florida, and the Kevin Roderick race he is ready to move on to his new venture as promoter.

“I think I bring a good past and I know what it takes as an ex-racer. I also understand what is involved to keep the track a success. I come from a good family that has been in the business my whole life,” Joe explained during a recent interview.

Without a doubt, he has always been at the scene of the family business. During the past several years, he could be found behind the wheel of the heavy equipment preparing the track surface for racing. He was also a constant figure in the infield making sure things kept moving. What is different for this former racer is that he is now the man-in-charge with big goals and big shoes to fill. During the early years of the Izzo ownership of La Salle Speedway, it was his parents, Tony Sr. and Kerry, who operated the business until Joe’s sister Kerrianne took over the helm. She made it her business to build on their family’s success.

To Kerrianne’s credit, she secured various national traveling series, hosted several televised racing events, brought in celebrity entertainers, and continued to build on their regular weekly program. She has since moved out of state but will still be there for support and help as the track’s Facility Manager. This season will be completely different from Joe’s days of wheeling a race car but similar in the fact he is still a big part of the show. The family has shifted gears and he will be running the day to day operations of the track.

“I have so many plans for the future of the Speedway. We are even planning some events for our youngest fans like big wheel and tootsie roll races. The La Salle Speedway is a family venue with something for everyone.”
He appears to be off to a good start with a schedule that has some of the most sought after series that bring the best of talent in dirt track racing. To get the wheels rolling, the racing springs into action with one of the season’s big events on Saturday, May 16th. The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Car Series Spring Shootout paying $10,000 to the victor will top the venue. The Open Wheel Modified’s will compete as well.
Tennessee’s Scott Bloomquist leads another legendary dirt standout Billy Moyer, of Arkansas, by sixty points in the premier touring series. The hall-of-famer’s are bar none two of the toughest stars in the dirt track world. As of press time both had the La Salle stop on their website schedules. They are not alone as numerous national drivers continue to add the venue to their racing schedules. Dennis Erb Jr. and Jason Feger are two former La Salle regulars who have gained both popularity and big victories. They return Saturday to their former stomping ground for a chance at the large payday.
During the first eleven events this year, there have been nine different winners thus far. This race will mark the seventh visit to La Salle’s speed arena with seven different winners in their record books. The Pit Gates will open at 1:00, grandstand gates at 5:00, qualifying at 6:30 with racing at 7:30.
The special event general admission price for adults will be $25.00, children age 11 and under are free. Pit passes are priced at $35 and skybox seats cost $30.

A mere twelve days later, the Monster Midwest Tour, along with a $1,000 Modified show, is scheduled to make its debut on May 28th. If that weren’t enough in a twelve day span the new promoter will be married in between the two tours.

The regular weekly racing program will kick off their season on June 6th with the Late Models, Open Wheel Modified, Street Stock and 4 Cylinder Hornet classes. There are some changes on tap for the Late Model class with rules available on their website or by calling the track office. One of the changes is the return of the dash.

“When I was racing, I always liked having the dash. I think the fans also really looked forward to the top six cars racing for the checkers. For now, we are not going to qualify and will be using the passing points system but I am thrilled to bring back the dash,” the new promoter said.

Throughout the 2009 season their schedule offers a wide variety of events for those who have a need for speed. Included in the lineup is the UMP Summer Nationals, two NALMS races, and the Illinois Fall Nationals. The schedule and divisional rules can be found on their website at www.lasallespeedway.com

In a period where difficult times have fallen upon many in the area, Izzo’s enthusiasm about a bright future for La Salle Speedway is a refreshing change of pace.

“I’m looking to energize the La Salle Speedway. We have the best fans, drivers, and staff at La Salle - we are going to have a great year. We are keeping the prices for our weekly program so that everyone can come out and have a fun family night together.”

Back