J-bar or long (panhard) bar?

ohsomthin

ohsomthin
can sombody tell a dummy what the pros and cons to these are need help

Well, use the short bar on the shorter tracks, unless it is extremely dry and then the more forgiving smoother longer bar might be what you look for. The dryer it gets if you use the short bar you need to get a stiffer throttle spring to help you smooth out your corner exits as the short bar will load and UNLOAD quicker. If you are a inexpierenced driver use the longer bar and get yourself smooth before going to the short bar.....

J-Bars or Panhard Bars? In a dirt Late Model race car, this bar controls the car’s roll center. While it has the same function, its name depends on its shape, which depends on where the bar is mounted to the pinion. A short, straight bar mounted to the left side of the driveshaft is a Panhard bar. A J-bar extends over to the right side of the pinion and is bent down in a “J” shape to mount lower on the bracket and maintain the desired angle depending on track conditions. Basically, all J-bars also are Panhard bars, but not all Panhard bars are J-bars. However, for dirt Late Models, J-bars are used in just about every situation except a slick, big, slow corner racetrack.

By raising the J-bar up on the frame to create more of an angle, it makes it easier for the car to roll over onto the right side. If you’re drifting across the track going into the turn, then raise the chassis mount for the J-bar, and it will help the weight transfer to the right side.

Well, on a standard J-bar setup, with it mounted on the right side of the pinion, I think it helps tighten the car on entry but allows it to turn through the middle and coming off. In contrast, the straight bar that mounts on the left side of the pinion makes the race car more loose on entry and gives the drive coming off—perfect for a short, stop-and-go racetrack.

If I got anything wrong, someone please correct me. Im not the BRIGHTEST star in the sky! But I know a little more than you think!:D

-Kelcie Emling

Back