Jack Sullivan Begins New Era in GRT House Car

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Greenbriar, Arkansas (01/08/10) – Veteran racer, Jack Sullivan, has been well traveled and experienced over the first ten years of his racing career, but as the Greenbriar, Arkansas driver enters his eleventh year of competition, he will be embarking on a completely new era as the pilot of the Team GRT House Car.

In the racing world deals come about in a wide variety of circumstances, but for Sullivan the events that led to him being named the top GRT chauffer were a bit ironic. “Joe (Garrison) and I had a running joke for a while that I should drive the house car, and then one day he called me and said let’s make this happen. I didn’t know at first if he was still joking or not, but I realized pretty quick that this was the real deal and that I needed to take advantage of it,” notes Sullivan. “I’ve been indirectly involved with the GRT program for several years now, and I’ve driven and tested the house car on a few occasions, but to actually be the true ‘house car driver’ is a bit surreal”.

A variety of driver’s have driven the GRT House Car over the past few years with Wendell Wallace and Clint Smith most recently behind the wheel. Sullivan feels that for Joe it might be an easier working relationship than what he has had with some veteran drivers, and he comments “Sometimes with the veteran drivers they are set in their ways and not always open to new ideas or setups because they know from their experience what does and doesn’t work for them. For me, I realize that I still have a lot to learn, and I’m usually pretty receptive to trying new things and suggestions from people, who have as much experience and knowledge as Joe.”

With the #1 Triple A Diesel/Bryant Motorsports/GRT team en route to Arizona for their first events together this weekend during the USA Raceway (Tuscon, Arizona) Wild West Shootout, the question was posed to Sullivan on how prepared he felt that the team was for the start of the season, and his response was what you would expect from a new team with a lot of unknowns.

“Our team is probably batting about 70% right now. We still don’t have the trailer completely outfitted, and we really only have one car built right now. I’ve got some new crew members working with me this year, and we’ve all just got to get used to working together. More than anything we just need some track time to learn what does and doesn’t work for us, and that’s the beauty of this Arizona deal because you get to race six times in about a week, and get to try a lot of different things under consistent track conditions.”

While he did compete in some Super Late Model events in 2009, Jack spent much of the season behind the wheel of his Open Wheel Modified competing with the USMTS Open Wheel Modified tour. Sullivan feels that this is something that he will have to work out of his system early this season in order to be successful in the Super Late Model. He comments “Super Late Models and Open Wheel Modifieds are two such totally different driving styles that getting comfortable in one can result in you really struggling in the other. That’s the main reason that I probably won’t compete in any Open Wheel Modified shows this year, so that I can put all of my focus into honing my skills and driving technique in the Super Late Model.”

Sullivan also recognizes that the tire game will be a big part of the learning curve for the 2010 season. Over the past few years and for much of his career, he has been accustomed to running primarily events on hard compound tires. However, this year he will be entering a lot of events with open tire rules, and he feels that this will be his biggest challenge. “It’s such a different game, when you have unlimited compounds to choose from. You really have to be able to read the track, and know what to use when. I have no doubt that we can get a firm grip on the tire game, but once again, it’s just going to take track time and experience.”

As far as the team’s plans for the year, they really aren’t committing to be at any certain place. Sullivan recognizes that you have to crawl before you can walk, and he wants to take time to do things right with the new team.

“After Arizona, we’ll just be hitting and missing some various shows to start the year. We really need to get the rest of our equipment ready to go. I won’t say that we 100% won’t be going to Florida for any of the Speedweek shows in February, but right now it just doesn’t make sense for us to go down there. Those events are so tough on equipment and burn up so many resources that at this point, I would just rather not go and instead use that time to prepare for the season. We need to hone our skills in our own backyard before we try to conquer the world. I hope to fully get this program to where we want it to be within the next year or so and then evaluate running a tour. That’s definitely our ultimate goal!”

As far as goals for the first season, Jack is being realistic, while at the same time setting as high expectations as possible for himself and the team. “Early in the season the learning curve is no doubt going to be pretty steep for us, but if by the second half of the season we can unload anywhere and be confident about the team and the setup, I will consider the season to be a success. We are focused on making shows and running consistently in the top ten. If we do this, then the wins will come.”

Despite facing all of the hardships and challenges that come with starting a new team, Jack Sullivan is extremely confident and excited about the upcoming season. “We have such an awesome combination here between many of my pre-existing sponsors and the new ones that have come on board. I’m excited and honored to have Bryant Motorsports fully supporting me for another season, and to welcome Triple A Diesel on board as a title sponsor is really something special. Joe Garrison and everyone at GRT Race Cars have stepped up to offer me the opportunity of a lifetime, and I fully intend to use my performances on the track to repay them ten-fold.”

Jack Sullivan would like to thank all of his sponsors including Triple A Diesel, Bryant Motorsports, GRT Race Cars, Central Arkansas Pest Services, Rinehart Trucking, Merrill Bonding Co., Vic Hill Racing Engines, JFR Graphics, Xtreme Suspension Technology, AFCO Radiators, Allstar Performance, ATL Fuel Cells, Brinn Transmissions, BSB Manufacturing, ButlerBuilt Safety Equipment, CV Products, Delph Communications, Frankland Rear Ends, Goodridge Hose & Fittings, GRT Fab, Hoosier Racing Tire, Hypercoils, Joe's Racing Products, K-B Carburetors, Out-Pace Racing Products, Penske Shocks, Performance Bodies, Performance Powder Coating, Peterson Fluid Systems, QuarterMaster, QuickCar, R2C Air Filters, Sweet Mfg., MSRMafia.com, Trick Race Parts, Turbo Start Batteries, Wiles Driveshafts, and Wilwood Engineering.

In the next week, Sullivan’s website will be redesigned by MSRMafia.com to reflect his new team. In the meantime for more information on Jack Sullivan, please visit his official internet home at www.JackSullivanRacing.com .

Back