Jimmy Mars Wins North/South 100 with Last Lap Pass; Eyes Another Topless 100 Trophy!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
(MENOMONIE, WISCONSIN) Menomonie, Wisconsin native Jimmy Mars continued his stellar 2009 season over the weekend at the Florence Speedway in Union, Kentucky, as he passed Don O'Neal on the final lap of the 27th Annual 'North/South 100' to bank the hefty $50,000 payday! Jimmy and 77 other competitors signed in at Florence on Friday, August 7 for Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series qualifying. After timing in eleventh fastest in Group A, Jimmy was slated to start from the outside of the second row in his competitive heat race on Saturday.

The driver known as the "Iceman" to fans across the country survived a wild heat race to finish in the third position, which transferred him directly into the 'North/South 100.' After starting fifteenth on the grid, Jimmy methodically picked off car after car utilizing the bottom groove of the 1/2-mile, high-banked venue. He cleared Scott Bloomquist for the second spot with only five laps to go and locked his radar in on long-time race leader Don O'Neal. Jimmy erased a half straightaway deficit to O'Neal during the final five circuits and made the thrilling pass for the win entering turn three on the final lap.

With the standing-room-only crowd on their feet, Jimmy crossed the finish line ahead of O'Neal, Scott Bloomquist, Earl Pearson, Jr., and Jimmy Owens. With the exciting victory, Jimmy became the first driver in Dirt Late Model history to win $50,000 on consecutive weekends, as he won the 'USA Nationals' at Cedar Lake the weekend prior. The cameras of the SPEED Channel were on hand at Florence to tape all of the wheel-to-wheel action for broadcast later in the year. You can view complete results and extensive video footage from the storied 'North/South 100' by pointing your web browser to www.dirtondirt.com.

"It is truly unreal what we have accomplished the past two weekends," exclaimed Mars earlier today. "The race at Florence was a blast to drive and I am sure the fans had to have enjoyed that finish. My car kept getting better and better as the race wore on, but I was afraid we were going to run out of laps before we caught (Don) O'Neal. Fortunately, my car stuck those last five laps on the bottom and I was able to making the winning pass heading into turn three. The North/South 100 is a race with a lot of tradition and I am honored to be included on the list of drivers that have won that event. I have to thank everyone that has supported our race team and hopefully this roll continues this weekend at Batesville!"

The Mars Racing team will go for three crown jewel wins in a row this upcoming weekend at the Batesville Motor Speedway in Locust Grove, Arkansas. The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series will sanction the 17th Annual 'Topless 100' and a $40,000 top prize will await the winner. Qualifying and heat race action will take place on Friday, August 14, while the last chance races and the 100-lap 'Topless 100' headline the program on Saturday evening, August 15. Jimmy is a two-time winner of the biggest topless Dirt Late Model event in the country, as he took home the lion's share of the prize money in 2000 and 2007. You can learn more about this year's version of the 'Topless 100' by viewing www.lucasdirt.com.

Mars Racing would like to thank all of their supporters including: Deppe Enterprises, T.L. Sinz Plumbing, ESSI Motorsports, Keyes Chevytown, Baileigh Industrial, Pro Power Racing Engines, MasterSbilt Race Cars, Jimmy's Pub, Allstar Performance, Beyea Headers, BSB Manufacturing, Buzz Signs & Graphics, Champ Pans, CMD Shocks, Delph Communications, Hoosier Racing Tires, ISC Racers Tape, JE Pistons, Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil, Joe Provo Race Wear, Manley Performance, Sweet Mfg., VP Racing Fuels, Wehrs Machine & Racing Products, Wiles Driveshafts, and Wilwood.

Keep up all year long with all of the latest news and information concerning the Jimmy Mars Racing team at www.jimmymarsracing.com.

Media Contact: Ryan Delph - Delph Communications
www.delphcommunications.com

Back