Jones streaks to first Volunteer Speedway Late Model victory of the season

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Robert Walden

BULLS GAP, Tenn. (May 7) – Kerry Jones of Bristol, who started the 35-lap “Don Smith Ford” Super Late Model feature from the fifth position Saturday night at Volunteer Speedway, passed race-long leader Rick Norris on lap 22 to move to the point. And once out front, Jones held off Vic Hill and Norris to capture his first victory of the season before a large crowd following two-straight weeks of racing being rained out.

Norris, the pole-sitter, grabbed the lead over Hill on the opening lap racing off turn two, with Dale Ball, Travis Greer and Jones in tow. Jones dropped to the bottom between turns one and two on lap 2 to overtake Greer and move into fourth in the running order. Norris, who was riding a rocket early on, had pulled out into over a half-straightaway advantage over Hill, Ball and Jones by lap 5.

Racing off the fourth turn on lap 8, Jones pulled alongside Ball and powered by to take over third. With Norris working lapped traffic on lap 10, Hill and Jones began to close the gap on the race leader. The event’s first caution waved on lap 14 when Ball spun between turns three and four.

The top five on the restart were Norris, Hill, Jones, Greer and Michael Smith. The battle for second between Hill and Jones heated up quickly, and on lap 17 the duo made contact racing off the fourth turn. Racing door-to-door down the front straightaway into turn one, Jones held the inside preferred line and moved into the runner-up spot.

Behind Norris, Jones and Hill, Smith passed Greer racing off the second turn on lap 18 to move into fourth. With the door open, Michael Jackson followed Smith to take over the fifth spot.

Norris was feeling pressure up front from Jones for the point, and on lap 22 as they raced off the fourth turn Jones grabbed a lead he would never relinquish. With Norris’ tires beginning to give up, Hill capitalized and worked around the defending Super Late Model track champion on lap 24 to take over second.

A late-race caution for debris on the track tightened the field up for an eight-lap sprint to the checkers. Hill tried to mount a challenge for the lead, but Jones, driving the Kerry Jones Trucking/Bigfoot Enterprises/Navigators Inc./Bloomquist Race Cars/Custom Race Engines/No. 6 Ford Taurus, would not be denied his first visit to victory lane of the season. Norris, Jackson and Smith finished third through fifth, respectively.

Completing the top-10 at the finish were Jeff Maupin, Kip Pearson, Ball, Greer and Clint Solomon, who was making his first start of the season.

“Man, I had a really good car tonight, and I believe anyone could have driven it to the win,” said a smiling Jones in victory lane. “We were off just a little on the set-up during qualifying, but my crew chief John Estes made a slight chassis adjustment and this thing (car) was bad-fast during the feature. Having to start the race from the fifth spot, I knew Rick (Norris), Vic (Hill) and Dale (Ball) had strong cars. But I felt all I had to do was be patient and bide my time and I would be able to make it to the front.

“I have to give so much credit to Scott Bloomquist for building me such a good race car, and also to John (Estes) for his knowledge in setting the car up. I’m just the driver. And when you’ve got such a good handling car under you it makes my job (driving) that much easier. Tire choice tonight for the feature was critical, because the track was in good shape and it was fast once the moisture began to come back up once the sun went down. Besides advice I receive from Bloomquist, and information he discusses with Estes on setting the car up, I also want to thank my son, Rob, along with Dan Estes and Stephen Martin for helping to work on the car.”

Scottie Thornton jumped into the lead at the drop of the green in the 25-lap “Ramey Ford” Limited (Crate Engine) Late Model feature and led until Newport’s Skimp Henry dropped to the inside racing into the first turn on lap 8 to grab the lead. Once out front Henry was never challenged over the remaining distance, as he was chased to the checkers by Thornton, Jeff Surber, Brad Kenyon and Hank Hall.

Jerry Broyles of Jonesborough led flag-to-flag in winning the “Lawson Chevrolet” UMP (Open-Wheel) Modified feature over a hard-charging Wayne James, Chris Pendleton, Danny James and Wayne Rader.

Thomas Hutson crossed the start/finish line first in the 20-lap “Bachman Bernard” Hobby Stock feature, but after his car failed post race technical inspection the victory was awarded to Mike Mays of St. Paul, Va. Finishing behind Mays were Troy Thompson, Everett Cobb, Robert “Monk” Ledford and R.J. Mayes.

Joey Allen appeared headed to his first-ever “Allied Home Mortgage” Mini Stock feature win, leading the first 16 circuits before giving up the lead to Newport’s Shawn Henry. Henry, the defending Mini Stock track champion, held off Kenny Absher, Brent Hensley, Randy Lane and Tom Trivett for the victory. Allen was stripped from his apparent runner-up finish after his car failed post race technical inspection.

In a very competitive “Renegade” Front Wheel Drive feature, Clinton Taylor of Greeneville was closely followed at the checkers by Dana Ferrell, Terry McMurray, Keith Helton and Robert Darnell.

Volunteer Speedway will host another exciting six-division racing program on Saturday, May 14 with Super Late Model, Limited Late Model, UMP Modified, Mini Stock 4-Cylinders, Hobby Stock and Front Wheel Drives in action. For more information, call the track at (423) 235-5020.

“DON SMITH FORD” SUPER LATE MODEL (35 laps)

1. Kerry Jones #6-Bristol, TN

2. Vic Hill #1-Morristown, TN
3. Rick Norris #15-Kingsport, TN

4. Michael Jackson #Q3-Greeneville, TN

5. Michael Smith #4-Rogersville, TN

6. Jeff Maupin #32w-Greeneville, TN

7. Kip Pearson #00-Rogersville, TN

8. Dale Ball #2-Johnson City, TN
9. Travis Greer #11g-Marion, VA

10. Clint Solomon #30-Mosheim, TN

11. John Tweed #1T-Greeneville, TN

12. Jerry Broyles #72-Jonesborough, TN

13. Terry Costner #16-Morristown, TN

14. Chris Chandler #8-Weaverville, NC

15. Dennis Stiles #00-Jonesborough, TN
16. Greg Burchett #17-Church Hill, TN

17. Lloyd Osborne #11-Johnson City, TN

18. Herman Goddard #22-Knoxville, TN

DNS: Ken Hall #44-Morristown, TN – Steve Carr #77-Rogersville, TN

“RAMEY FORD” LIMITED LATE MODEL (25 laps)

1) Skimp Henry #25; 2) Scottie Thornton #T15; 3) Jeff Surber #37; 4) Brad Kenyon #98; 5) Hank Hall #117; 6) Larry Rowe #R0; 7) Allen Champ #11c; 8) Joe “Dirt” Good #911; 9) Lee Tipton #2; 10) Stephen Martin #6; 11) John King Jr. #11

“LAWSON CHVROLET” UMP MODIFIED (25 laps)

1) Jerry Broyles #72; 2) Wayne James #4; 3) Chris Pendleton #15; 4) Danny James #J4; 5) Wayne Rader #8; 6) Kurt Hall #H14; 7) Jason Bowers #22r; 8) David Wright #39; 9) Shannon Emery #95; 10) Aaron Ogle #10; 11) Jamie Harrison #51

“BACHMAN BERNARD” HOBBY STOCK (20 laps)

1) Mike Mays #30; 2) Troy Thompson #T12; 3) Everett Cobb #13; 4) Robert “Monk” Ledford #41; 5) R.J. Mayes #6m; 6) Jon Cook #0z; 7) Todd Brooks #1; 8) Mark Hawkins #44; 9) Chris Gregg #73; 10) Chad Garretson #82; 11) Clifford Atkins #93; 12) Aaron Guinn #87; 13) Steve Langrel #51; 14) Patrick Flannary #38; 15) Charles Ayers #2; 16) Dale Reed #52; 17) Mike Kelley #8; 18) Chris Kenyon #71; 19) Jim Canning #31; 20) Dustin Shaver #7s; 21) Jimmy Ricker #7; 22) Rex Chatman #T23 – Did Not Pass Post Race Inspection (DNPPRI): Thomas Hutson #4 – Did Not Start (DNS): Hugh “Wishbone” Scalf #56, Mark Atkins #m20, Blake Kelly #K5

“ALLIED HOME MORTGAGE” MINI STOCK (20 laps)

1) Shawn Henry #17; 2) Kenny Absher #11; 3) Brent Hensley #70; 4) Randy Lane #7; 5) Tom Trivett #5; 6) Ernie Stubblefield #21; 7) Frank Dice #44; 8) Stevie Wykle #97; 9) Chad Jeffers #38; 10) Allen Carrier #57; 11) Jonathan Ward #77; 12) Chad Goins #15; 13) Brian Tinker #20; 14) Runah Henry #39; 15) William Travis #36; 16) Brandon Johnson #1 – DNPPRI: Joey Allen #A00

“RENEGADE” FRONT WHEEL DRIVE (15 laps)

1) Clinton Taylor #22; 2) Dana Ferrell #0$; 3) Terry McMurray #19; 4) Keith Helton #9; 5) Robert Darnell #38; 6) Dennis Dean #99; 7) Kevin Darnell #29; 8) Jay Swecker #77; 9) William Knight #00; 10) Clifford Stoops #37; 11) Eddie Smith #8; 12) Todd Duff #16

Back