Joplin driver Coats drives on without biggest fan

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Lyndal Scranton - Wheatland, MO (February 23, 2016) - Many of Johnny Coats' biggest moments last season at Lucas Oil Speedway were witnessed by his biggest fan.

But after the untimely passing last September of Chris Coats, Johnny's dad, there will be a void when Johnny Coats begins a new season in April.

"Unfortunately, he won't be able to be there and watch me race anymore, but it was great that he was able to come to Lucas with me quite a bit last year," Coats said.

The Joplin driver enjoyed a solid 2015 season in the Carson's Corner NAPA Street Stock division at Lucas Oil Speedway. Coats, 34, drove to two feature victories and a third-place finish in the points chase behind Kenny Carroll and Chip Shaddox.

"That was pretty good for Lucas," Coats said recently. "It's pretty tough in our class and this year it's going to be even tougher. A lot of people with new cars and new stuff and spending a lot of money."

Coats' plans are pretty much status quo for the new season, which sees some new rules aimed at conformity to other regional tracks. The biggest shift is to motors with two-barrel carbs as Lucas changes the name of the class from Factory Stocks to Street Stocks.

"We'd love to win a championship, but it's tough," Coats said of the competition. "Then again, that's what it's all about."

Coats, a 10-year veteran of the division, has been a model of consistency in four seasons of racing at Lucas Oil Speedway. He's recorded points finishes of second, third and third in the three years he's chased points.

The other season, he split his time between a Factory Stock and Late Model.

Racing has been a family fabric. Johnny Coats said he recalled going to the races with his dad since he was three years old. Chris Coats retired from driving in recent years and sometimes preferred to stay away from the track for fear of being lured back behind the wheel.

"It took up too much of his time," Johnny Coats said of his father's balance of racing and business interests. "But when he did go to the races (in recent years) he enjoyed it."

Chris Coats was a former track champ at the old Joplin 66 Speedway and a regular for a time on the now-defunct Show-Me Series for Late Models. Johnny recalled one of his dad's biggest wins was the Tony Roper Memorial at Monett.

Heading into the new season, Coats has a strong cast of sponsors to back him: Chris' Key Shop, Coats Towing, Hatfield Racing Engines and John Meyer Salvage. Sean Stewart returns as the main man in the pits.

"I also have a Late Model that dad had and it has an open motor in it," Coats said. "I might go and race it and play with it some. We'll see how it goes."

Joplin's Johnny Coats (35) drove to a pair of feature wins and a third-place finish in the Carson's Corner NAPA Factory Stock division in 2015. (Photo by Chris Bork)

Lucas Oil Speedway's season fires up April 8-9 with the Lucas Oil MLRA Spring Nationals with the first Budweiser Weekly Championship Series race set for April 16.

Please visit www.LucasOilSpeedway.com for the most up to date information about "America's New Motorsports Destination", Lucas Oil Speedway.

Lucas Oil Speedway is located at Highways 83 and 54 in Wheatland, MO. A campground with shower and bathroom facilities is also available. With it's entrance located just outside the pit gate this sprawling scenic camping facility will continue to enhance the racing experience at the Diamond of Dirt Tracks.

Click www.LucasOilSpeedway.com for more information and detailed directions to the speedway or call the Track Hotline at (417) 282-5984.

In addition, fans can get social with Lucas Oil Speedway by following @LucasSpeedway on Twitter, clicking "Like" at www.facebook.com/LucasOilSpeedway and on www.youtube.com/LucasOilSpeedway.

Back