Just returned from Cancun, need your help!!

Pitboss88

Racing Paparazzi
My wife and my family just returned from Cancun Mexico, where we survived Hurricane Wilma and were one of the few that were able to get out of the country. My sister and her boyfriend, and one of my brother-in-laws are still trapped down there. When we left the shelter late Monday night, they only had food and water for 3 or 4 more days. The area is in complete shambles. Allot of you may have more information than we do on the details of the storm as we received very little information, and when we did 99% of it turned out to be false. Our shelter held up to 48 hours of continuous winds of over 140 miles an hour with gusts up to 200 mph. Windows over an inch thick reinforced with lead shattered and the bottom floor of the shelter had 4 inches of standing water for almost 3 days. There was a 24 hour period where we weren't sure if we were going to make it or not. A steel beam and pieces of drywall weighing over 50 lbs. were dropping from the approx. 25 foot ceilings, water and wind were gushing in. Unbelievably no one was seriously injured. By day 3 it was still raining but the hurricane had passed. The mold and crap in the air was starting to make people sick. Babies had coughs that sounded like old men, senior citizens were running out of meds. The Americans formed a task force and basically took control of the building from the hotel officials.
That was the only thing that saved us! The Mexican workers from the hotel taking care of us were unbelievable! Most didn't know if their families were alive or dead, but they stayed with us the entire ordeal. By Monday afternoon we had ripped every shred of carpet out of the building, (a huge convention center), and all of the ceiling tore out to relieve the enormous amount of water that had built up in the ceilings. It was amazing to watch 2600 people come together like that! We saw the best and the worse of the human spirit. And we were the lucky ones. People in Cozumel and downtown Cancun had to fend for themselves.

CNN has reported that there are still 22,000 Americans trapped in the Yucatan Peninsula. Our last contact with my sister was Monday night, we don't have any idea if she's still at the shelter or was bused out. My brother in law made it to the Airport in Merida, which usually deals with 8 to 10 flights a day. The owner of the airport has closed it, the Mexican government won't let our military into the county. People are sleeping in the streets and are running out of everything. I beg you if you know ANYONE in the media, state department, or the American Consulate, please contact them. We need your help to get our loved ones home safely.

It never felt so good to come home. But I will not be able to rest until we get Tammy, Dan, and Jay home. Please keep all of the people still trapped in your prayers.

Thank you,
Dennis & Nickie Murphy

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/10/26/mexico.tourists.ap/index.html

Dennis,
We're praying for you & your family during this difficult time, you guys have been through a lot lately. If we can help out in any way, give us a call.

David & Paula

We just received some great news, my brother in law was able to get into the Merida airport and is on his way home. They are allowing a limited number of planes to land, and are letting people into the airport grounds a few at a time. We still have had no contact with my sister and her boyfriend, but apparently the Cancun airport is operating in a limited capacity and allowing tourists with confirmed reservations to get flights out. We are all praying that that she is heading that way. Thanks for your continued prayers, and I will keep you updated as to what is going on. I will have some pictures to post after things start returning to normal around here.

Dennis & Nickie

Incredible Dennis, just incredible. Glad to hear you're back, and hoping for the speedy return of everyone else.

Dennis my prayers are with you and your family. Thank God you are okay. What an awful ordeal. Please keep us posted.

Dennis, Nickie and all....you are in our thoughts and prayers. Please, if you need anything, anything at all, you know how to reach us.

When I lived in Florida, I went through one hurricane. Seeing it on TV or in pictures is nothing in comparison to being there and going through it. Thankfully you all are ok and home safe.

Joe, Mary and Jarrett Dresch

Just a quick note to you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. My sister her boyfriend and some other friends were down there also. She got home on Wednesday. Said there was alot of damage and I know what you are going through. I had put her on our prayer chain at church and I believe whole heartedly that is what brought them home safe so I will continure to pray for your loved ones still down there.

Dennis and Nickie,
Glad you made it back safely!!
When I talked to Mike last weekend, he said you and your family were still down there. :eek: OMG:eek: You guys were immediately in our thoughts and prayers for a safe return home. Please let us know if you need anything.

Ron and Kathy Gonsalves

Thanks everyone for keeping my family in your prayers! I am happy to say the the whole family is now back in the good old USA!! My sister and her boyfriend are currently in Denver awaiting their connecting flight home. Please remember to continue to pray for those still trying to get home, as well as the people in Florida and up and down the east coast! Our pain is over, but for allot of them it is just starting.

Ron we appreciate your prayers buddy! Will have some unbelievable pictures of the aftermath to show you at the banquet.

racerwife3d we're glad your family and friends are safe! I too believe that the power of prayer was our saving grace!

To our racing family thank you from the bottom of our heart. Hope to see you all in the near future!

Sometime this winter I'll be building a website that will include all of the pictures my family and I took of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma.

Dennis & Nickie

so glad that all of you made it thru the hurricane and are back home.... I have went on four cruises and my last one ...one of the ports of call was Cozemel........ my grandson is scheduled to go to Cancun in January.... that will not be happening now............. with all of these hurricanes of late I am going to make sure that I never book a cruise in Hurricane season,,,,,...again...glad all worked out for all of you..
cj

Back