kart racers

20racer

20racer
where have all the kart racers gone? :D just trying to find out why kart count's are down in this area. there are a lot poeple missing this year compared to last year. :)

Stayin' Home

Larry, Unfortunatly,thanks to Bush& Cheney,it costs too much to race! Besides the initial investment to get started,they have to haul'em with gas gusslers eating $3 /gal fuel.An average family:Dad,son(driver),Mom & sister to come along,$100/night hobby:eek:Us local people can be @ Bedrock in a few min. without the gas gauge moving.But the out of towners,Mo. folks are looking @ $30 gas.:mad:This is hurting JYI big time,just because of there location.I know it cost me another $25-$30 to haul my little trailer! That's entry fee here in town.This is what I'm hearing from racers.Let's not forget Ameren IP stick us where we sit.Also this tire melting going on doesn't help keep the cost down either.That's another subject alltogether.:mad:JMO
Sumo Awaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Cost

Yes, gas prices are up, thats probably the biggest reason. But also the cost to race. ( for the whole family) Also the Burris 33 tire rule don't help. ( should be just a burris tire rule,not compound rule) Also maybe when local drivers are racing every week and ASK for points to be posted, they should listen.

I think it's money also.

I've been searching other forums to see what they are doing to get/keep their kart counts up. Alot of tracks are cutting back on their entry fees. I know Frank has bills to pay and works his behind off to give us a great place to race. I don't think lowering the entry fees will help but maybe it might.

Has the 8 p.m. start time gained any karts? There seemed to be a lot of folks that asked for it but I don't see a lot of new faces.

Also the Burris 33 tire rule don't help. ( should be just a burris tire rule,not compound rule)

I've got to diagree with you on that statement. I can get by with three sets of tires this year. Last year I needed at least 5 sets. 22's, 33's, 44's and sometimes 11's. I like the 33 rule and hope more tracks go with a spec tire rule.

Duquion are you listening.....?

I would have to say 1) gas prices, 2) the cost of racing in general, 3) and a large number of racers moving to other forms of racing.

1) Gas prices speak for themselves. It's a shame to be excited when gas is under $3.00/gallon now. The lowest I've found lately is $2.87.

2) The cost of racing in general goes up every year. Our local tracks have taken steps to cut costs for racers, but there is only so much they can do. goody78rsg, the point of the Burris 33 tire rule was to reduce the cost. (It was a decision made by the local racers.) If everyone has the same tire, people don't have to worry about buying a set of SS-11's, 22's, 44's, and 55's. If the tire rule was left open, it would be even worse.
Bedrock now has a pro-stock class. The track makes NO MONEY on this class, Frank just wanted to give the racers a chance to make some cash. We've barely had enough karts to make a class each week.

3) A large number of kart racers in this area have moved to other forms of racing. We have had at least 12 drivers in the last 2 years move onto other forms of racing. Many of them have gone onto mini sprints or stock cars.

The thing I notice is that you don't see any of the racers we use to have at Bedrock or JYI racing karts anywhere else. I check the results of many Illinois tracks every week, and you don't see former Bedrock or JYI racers names. That leads me to believe a lot of people are either taking some time off, or they quit.

Ever since 9/11 gas has gone up and down. I think people are just not racing anymore and maybe just going to watch a race every now and then. If people want to race there are ways of cutting back to save alittle money for racing or the extra gas. With the high gas prices I still sit in traffic all the time on the weekends and don't see any less people going to the mall or driving around. Why would gas prices go down when people keep driving and paying for it. It is just the way things are going to be. I don't believe I have ever seen the kart count down so low at Bedrock before since I have been racing there. To people who don't like the Burris 33 rule and that is the reason that they are not racing is bs because you can sell those tires and we only have two sets of 33's that we have been using. We started the season on a set that was old as hell.

Larry,
looking for sponsor for me and alexander. I thought you could contact oscar meyer and see if they could help.!!! You and i could drive that hot dog car around at intermission. or maybe bunny bread could help!!

I've got to diagree with you on that statement. I can get by with three sets of tires this year. Last year I needed at least 5 sets. 22's, 33's, 44's and sometimes 11's. I like the 33 rule and hope more tracks go with a spec tire rule.

Duquion are you listening.....?

Sorry Tobby I have to disagree with your disagreement (haha) I think money is the biggest part but the 33 rule definitely has played some part. I have been racing the same two sets of 44s for the last two seasons and was going to try and get one more season out of them. At worst I was going to have to buy 2 more right side tires. To race at bedrock I would have to buy two full sets of tires and rims. The savings to the racers is minimal if any sorry Justin I have to disagree with you on this one, for outdoor summer racing there is no need to have 11s or 22s in the adult classes. All the 33 rule did is make it a bigger prep war. The last year I raced I borrowed a set of 33s once because the track was very wet. The racers that will spend big money on tires to win still are. I have heard the argument that with the 33 rule at least you know what compound a racer is running but then you have to ask yourself what prep is he using? what are his tires punching? Sorry but to me the 33 rule changed nothing. The only way a spec tire rule will make any difference in karting is if you get rid of prep but this will be almost impossible to do. This is just my opinion, have a great season. Andy Hicks

carl

now thats funny right there. i am thinking more like a hot dog car shaped like a fish. dog fish away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps sorry i refin stole you line again.

Sorry Tobby I have to disagree with your disagreement (haha) I think money is the biggest part but the 33 rule definitely has played some part. I have been racing the same two sets of 44s for the last two seasons and was going to try and get one more season out of them. At worst I was going to have to buy 2 more right side tires. To race at bedrock I would have to buy two full sets of tires and rims. The savings to the racers is minimal if any sorry Justin I have to disagree with you on this one, for outdoor summer racing there is no need to have 11s or 22s in the adult classes. All the 33 rule did is make it a bigger prep war. The last year I raced I borrowed a set of 33s once because the track was very wet. The racers that will spend big money on tires to win still are. I have heard the argument that with the 33 rule at least you know what compound a racer is running but then you have to ask yourself what prep is he using? what are his tires punching? Sorry but to me the 33 rule changed nothing. The only way a spec tire rule will make any difference in karting is if you get rid of prep but this will be almost impossible to do. This is just my opinion, have a great season. Andy Hicks

Andy, so if Bedrock had gone with a 44 tire rule would there have been savings to the racer? Maybe, and you definitely would have saved money and would probably be racing right now. If Bedrock had left an open tire rule, would there be savings to the racer? No. The majority of the racers at Bedrock, and almost everyone at the meeting chose to run Burris 33's because that's what they already had and it's an easy choice when buying tires. Remember, just because 22's, 33's, and 55's weren't fast for you, doesn't mean they aren't fast for other people. Therefore, if a guy started winning on 55's, what's everybody think they need, 55's. If a junior was winning on 22's, everybody thinks they need 22's. You're right, people have no idea what prep other racers are using, but at Bedrock and JYI they know they have the same tire and that's all they need in their trailer. They can figure the prep out from there. Remember, prep is cheaper than tires. I'd say that does something for the racers wallet...

No Justin what I was trying to say is with a open Burris tire rule people could come out and run the tires they already have. The original post was why were there not many karts out this year and I gave my opinion that the 33 rule has played some part. If people want to waste there money on tires or chassis for that matter just because someone else was fast on them no rule can stop that.

No Justin what I was trying to say is with a open Burris tire rule people could come out and run the tires they already have. The original post was why were there not many karts out this year and I gave my openion that the 33 rule has played some part. If people want to waste there money on tires or chassis for that matter just because someone else was fast on them no rule can stop that.

You are correct that Bedrock has lost a few racers because they didn't own Burris 33's and don't want to buy them. I just don't think it's correct to say the 33 rule doesn't save the racer money and aggrevation. Remember, this was a rule chosen by the majority of the racers at Bedrock, and I haven't heard anyone complain all year about tires like they did last year. I heard more than once last year about what tires to buy because people were winning on 22's, 33's, 44's, and 55's. Now they know, a Burris 33 is all they need.

Then I guess we are in agreement about the original question. Yes kart count is down partially because of the 33 rule. Have a great racing season, Andy

its not the tire rule

today its the price of milk. the tire rule was something the racers came up with. so andy if you would of had 2 sets of 33's instead of 44's you would be racing this year?:D

I think the 33 rule is a great idea. I went all year last year on 2 sets of Burris 33's. I was also racing 2 classes most weekends.

we all agree

its not the tire rule . there are a lot of post on here saying they like the rule. so it must be people sitting at home watering there 44's trying to make them into 33's ha!!!!. ps heard through the grapevine there is someone making up a new prep. it is a milk and corn based prep. it is going to sell for $150.00 a gallon. i will be taking orders at the track friday night.

So, here we go again!!!

It's back to Bush and Cheney being the reason for the high energy prices!! That's hilarious!! Ever heard of supply and demand???

Back