L A Raceway drops Late Model class

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
LAMONTE, Mo. -- Back in January, L A Raceway announced the addition of the Late Models to its already successful racing program for a four week trial period with the possibility of adding them to its weekly schedule. At that time, the determining factor was expected to be “time constraints” when running a complete program which would then consist of six classes. Knowingly needing increased fan attendance with good car counts to make it work, the first night met both expectations. However, program run time went past an acceptable limit. The second and third nights all came in with good time results but showed three significant warning signs to L A officials. Car counts in the Late Model division were even better than expected with car counts averaging over 20 cars per night however, fan counts and pit gate were not increasing significantly to offset the premium purse being paid out. Increased hours and stress to staff had also increased significantly. L A Raceway opened with the mission to provide great racing action at an affordable price. We had already decided that we would not raise admission prices just to add another class when we already had four extremely successful divisions which include Modifieds, 305 Sprints, Street Stocks and Hobby Stocks. We regret that we will be unable to continue the Late Models on a weekly basis and wish to thank each and every driver, fan, sponsor and staff member for their support during this trial period.

We want to thank our Late Model division sponsors, John Rector Motors of Marshall & Higginsville and Todd & Associates of Marshall for participating in this four week trial. They are truly great supporters of the Late Model program.

The Late Model drivers are a class act and we will miss them but our hats are off to our other great classes, Modifieds, 305 Sprints, Street Stocks and Hobby Stocks who continue to provide our fans with exceptional racing action each Friday night. If you haven’t seen the quality show they present, you are truly missing an exciting racing experience.

Thanks to LA for giving us western MO Late Model fans at least 4 weeks of 20 car count shows. However, in this article it is written somewhat misleading in the fact the time factor seems to have been blamed on the Late Models. In fact, this couldn't be farther from the truth, you see, there are so many hobby stocks (called hornets in the stl area), that they run 2 a-main features and sometimes b features, this is where much of the time delays come from. Not bashing, just stating the LMs put on a fast-paced show for the most part comparitively to the other classes. This is a nice facility and I hope the promoters can at least get a couple "big shows" for the LMs with perhaps only modified and street stocks as support.

This totally ****s. I was planning on running there fridays and Montgomery County on saturdays. Last fall I was planning running Sedalia on fridays but they dropped latemodels there, and LA picked em up. I live near Columbia and I am unable to drive threw St.Louis on a friday and get there on time. Maybe Callaway should try something other than limited LateModels.

They said "time" was the determining factor... Sure it was... I've never been there and don't know squat about the track, but the expense of running a late model program is huge on small tracks. I wish LA well in their business ventures.

Yea and having 40 to 50 grand into a latemodel and not having a place to run is even worse. At least it is to me! My wife has to run her sportsman car at Montgomery county because nowhere in central missouri does a track allow weight jacks and aluminum bodies on streetstock/sportsman cars. and now I have to accept either driving 300 miles round trip on a friday or stay at home. and Montgomery is another problem because there are so few latemodels. I really like Mel and am even considering putting my wife in my 2nd latemodel just to help get car count, But then they would lose a streetstock. If he drops either class he will lose both of us because I'll probably run Lebanon then. I still only have zero options on Fridays. Every place is just too far away! Man this really ****s!!! and I talked to several who had been to LA Raceway and thought is is a great facility and 20 Plus latemodels a week on a Fridays. It just makes me sick they are dropping them.

Rumor has it the LMs will be returning to Sedalia, tomorrow! Millsey, while I understand where you're coming from, one thing you must realize is that we Western, Mo LM fans are starved for real late model shows around this area, that's why there's so much frustration in some of the posts. It looks like Earl Walls, SFS promoter has given us a chance to have LMs again on Friday nights.

Respectfully,
Sam

I'm just saying it's really tough for track promoters right now. They are being hit with everything under the sun, including frivilous law suits. So they (promoters) are having to be as creative as possible in order to survive. Good luck with everything.

I'm definatly going to check out Sedalia. That was my first plan anyway Thanks Sam!! Hopefully my latemodel should be ready next weekend.

Back