Latest spectator deaths put dirt race tracks under scrutiny

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

Mike Higginson was worried enough about safety at the Illinois dirt track where he raced that he told his 13-year-old son to watch from the upper reaches of the wooden bleachers. The advice saved the boy's life.

While waiting his turn for a qualifying run at the Mount Vernon Raceway on Saturday night, Higginson watched in horror as Kevin Beattie's stock car vaulted a short wall and hurtled through a chain-link fence, killing two spectators. Beattie and five fans were injured.

As investigators try to unravel what went horribly wrong, Higginson hopes the tragedy spurs the nation's 800 dirt tracks - and the insurance companies that dictate site safety in the unregulated sport - to reevaluate whether spectators are truly protected.

"If fans don't feel safe, we won't have racing. It's that simple," Higginson said.

Some track operators consider any calls for beefier measures unnecessary, saying spectator deaths are rare. Others say fans assume a certain risk, much like baseball fans who understand they may have to duck a hard-hit foul ball or shard of a shattered bat during a game.

In dirt-tracking racing, various sanctioning groups adopt and enforce rules involving competition - not safety, an issue that track operators readily cede to their site's insurers. Because there's no federal or state oversight of dirt tracks - and because insurers write policies on a case-by-case basis - no uniform safety regulations apply.

"Insurance companies rule the roost, and they're stringent," said Doc Lehman, a former promoter and sanctioning official who now edits Ohio-based dirtamericaonline.com, an electronic trade magazine. "They've got all the power, and they're doing the best they can to keep everyone as safe as possible."

Several companies that insure dirt tracks either declined comment or failed to return telephone messages.

Beattie has told investigators that his car's throttle stuck before the vehicle hopped the concrete wall and knifed through fencing about 10 feet high. It wasn't immediately clear whether the fencing included cabling commonly used at tracks to catch cars, keeping them out of the stands.

No charges have been filed. Authorities, who are reconstructing the accident and haven't said how fast Beattie's car may have been traveling, say the investigation may take weeks.

The track's owner, Rick Heck, has declined to publicly discuss his track's safety or insurance. On his track's Web site, Heck says the quarter-mile oval will remain closed at least until the investigation by Illinois State Police is over.

"We can only imagine what the families are going through now," Heck wrote. "It's is by far the hardest thing that I have ever witnessed, and I hope to never have anything like this occur at any track."

Recent history, though, shows it has.

The Charlotte Observer reported in 2001 that of 260 people killed in auto racing nationwide since 1990 from Nextel Cup and Indy car events to dirt-track races, 29 were spectators, including five children. At least 70 other spectators were injured, often from car parts and debris that cleared protective fences.

Recent accidents include a 2003 crash at a track near Los Angeles that sent a car into the inner field, killing a couple, and a 2001 incident at an Ohio speedway in which two cars jumped a guard rail, killing one spectator and injuring at least 11 others.

At Iowa's half-mile Knoxville Raceway, the last accident involving a fan was in the early 1980s, when a shock absorber flew off a car and hit a woman's head, seriously injuring her. Since then, smaller, heavier mesh screens have been installed to catch flying debris, though racing chief Ralph Capitani says "even that's not perfect."

"Every person who goes to sit in the grandstand is accepting a risk. We post that all over here," he said. "Sometimes, there's not much you can do."

Higginson, 48, had that helpless feeling Saturday at the Mount Vernon track about 80 miles southeast of St. Louis. After he saw the car head toward his son's direction in the bleachers, he frantically fumbled to undo his seat belts and helmet and search for his son, Ryan.

The father scrambled toward Beattie's car, resting squarely on the bleachers, and saw victims on the ground below, Ryan not among them. Only moments later did Ryan turn up unscathed, next to his dad's car.

"I think I aged about 10 years," Higginson said. "I hope everyone learns something from this."

Attachments

• 4802100_7_1.gif
    4802100_7_1.gif
    98.6 KB · Views: 935
Wow, what an article. It is still hard to comprehend what has really happened. I think reality is starting to set in now. I couldn't imagine the looks on those people's faces after this incident happened.

i think it is a bunch of bs they are treating the track and the driver like crap and i knew this would come about eventually.they are leaning more towards the track isnt safe and the driver was driving over his head,more than it was just an ACCIDENT,or it will be something to those effects.this could have happened to the most safest track in the country as well as the best driver in the country,WHY TRY TO POINT FINGERS?this is something we have no control over and was a freak act of nature,something nobody had control over but the man above!
i cannot imagine what anyone who was involved in this is feeling,from the track owners,to the driver,to the family of the lost ones,but i can say this,my heart goes out to each and every one of them.the truth is we take a chance of going to each and every race we go to.the drivers take a chance each and every time they crawl in a car(myself included),and we all take a chance just waking up everyday.there is nothing we can do but move,i just think the way the media is acting is uncalled for,maybe it is me,anyone understand what im saying?

The way some of these articles are written they are meant to pull on the heartstrings of people to get them fired up to stand up and stomp their feet and pound their fists.

I go to the track almost weekly and I know there is an assumed risk in paying my admission and sitting in the stands. I take my 8 year old son and set certain guidelines for him. No walking by the fence when cars are moving. We sit up high on the front straight away. I do feel extremely sorry that these people were hurt, two lost their lives, and a track is going though this nightmare. I pray that nothing ever happens like this again. I believe the track that I attend is relatively safe, considering what I have seen at other tracks. Maybe it is just a feeling of comfort in my mind. Anything can happen and like pointed out risk is everywhere in our lives. Look at the hockey game where the person lost their life to a puck, how many bats go into the stands, baseballs? Where is the risk in driving home after the races?

You are so right it was a freak accident and there should not be any finger pointing right now. The families and people who were hurt and the people who saw it and helped out the injured are going through a rough time. I was there when Brent Slcoum was killed on June 11 in his pits and also tried to save his life. Let me tell you all I am in therapy right now cause it was eating me up inside and I couldn't handle it anymore. I am doing better and go to the races again and also go to the pits again. There have been too many freak accidents this year and I for one hope and pray that 2006 season will be a safer one and everyone will be much closer as drivers and as friends. you never know when it is your time to go and the rule to life is live each day like it is your last and just enjoy life. My heart goes out to all the families and injured people and those who witness it and also those who helped out. May God Bless everyone of us .

this just sickens me. when it says "no charges have been filed?" are they intending on sending the driver to jail or something? because that is just wrong if thats what they're emplying. was anyone sent to jail in nascar because a hood goes flyin into the stands? i cannot imagine the pain that not only the people who were injured but the driver as well. i know this may sound bad but i just cant stop thinking about how Beattie must feel. I know the families are going through a tough time and they have my deepest sympathy but what about the driver? I do not look at Mr. Beattie as a murderer. and i do not think that anybody should. i pray that not only the ones injured but that mr.beattie will recover from it as well. everybody put alot of great posts on here that are exactly what i think so i will leave it at that. we need to pull together and help everyone through it.

Folks, I'm about to say something that may or may not be considered appropriate. As a member of the media myself, I can tell you that reporters are always looking for a story, and this one has fallen right into the laps of several of those who have never been to a track, nor cared to understand those that do.

This has all of the indications of turning into a witch-hunt. If you saw the story on the front page of today's Post Dispatch, you can almost see the focus turning into a "there needs to be more government regulation" type of story. I will ask that anyone else who is approached by the media to respectfully decline the temptation to speak, and allow the investigation into what happened stay with the police. It is already such a media circus, that it will be difficult for the authorities to come to a conclusion without prejudice. If there is a problem, we, the racing family, needs to be able to address it without pressure from the state and local government officials brought on by media reports that don't understand the big picture. If investigators need our help, we should be glad to give it to them, but lets try and keep the media from becoming any more involved than it already is.

It's news....that's why they are doing this. Channel 3 is already doing a follow up on track safety that is supposed to on at 10 p.m. It's a story and they are going to keep running this story until people are no longer interested. The more interest they get in it...the better for them. It is sickening.

first of all my heart goes out to all that was involved as a member of a fire department i've seen tradegies that tear you up inside and changes peoples lives forever i was 10 feet away from where aron kleins car landed and i was no more than 20 feet away from tomcats father the night on that incadent at highland was i scared heck yes did it change my feelings about racen no but one thing i did realize is that a chain link fence is not gonna stop much and the cars can climb up the concrete wall pretty easy.a 2300 lb cars at whatever speed and a chainlink fence just think about that. things are gonna happen no matter how safe people try and make things this is really getting out of control and pi$$ing alot of people off about the negative media again my heart goes out to all that is involved you are in our prayes and us the racing family need to stick together and not turn dirt track into nascrap i'm sorry if i offended anyone but thats how i feel

Thats the answer...........

Speed Racer said:
Associated Press
Because there's no federal or state oversight of dirt tracks "
Thats what is needed federal or state oversight...... thats classic media attention right there.

Hey Mike if you are so worried about your son STAY HOME no one made you go and race at that track. I dont think the press needs any more fuel for the fire,sounds like you are ridding the lime lite of the horrible incident.

To tell you just how much media attention this has gotten, my mother-in-law called me Sunday morning because she saw it on CNN as she lives in Phoenix, AZ.

My dad said their local news in Austin, TX carried the story and it was in the Austin newspaper with pictures of the car in the stands.

So the media has really jumped on this story.

I In my opinion, it's been nothing but a bunch of ambulance-chaser reporting tactics that have been used and the professional sports channels are just as guilty as the local and regional media! When did you ever see them have a dirt-racing highlight on any of their shows? Not very often, unless of course it's some 2-second-long snippet about a big-paying event such as the Eldora races as they hurry off to break for a commercial. Sadly, people lost their lives and endured tremendous injury and emotional pain in this tragedy. Their stories go untold in favor of writing and reporting tactics that are elementary level at best, unfounded, and extremely one sided. In fact, I'd be highly surprised if all of these so-called nightly news reporters and columnists even knew that cars raced on dirt before this accident happened! Some of the words being spoken make it sound as though intimidation tactics are being used as well; this is completely wrong and unjust! Now of course the news reporters and investigators are all "experts" on the subject because of this tragedy and what they "personally" now believe and learned of in just a few days. Will the channels follow up on the story next year? Ask yourselves, will the stations and recap shows announce and show results and highlights from any of the local St. Louis-area “big" races? Two months from now you won't see or hear a thing. I don't say this in a malicious or derogatory way. I realize no one wants to remember the accident; however, I am making this statement based upon the sole fact that we as a racing community should not and must not let all those touched by this tragedy to ever be forgotten. Whatever method it is that you choose to honor and remember, please don't leave out our racing friends from Mt. Vernon.

Article from FoxSports.com

From time to time I'm reading articles on other websites that I think are interesting or contain info about our local drivers and/or tracks. I like to share them with you all when I find them, thinking that maybe everyone didn't get to see them. In this particular case I wanted to share an article that the national media was saying about our local area.

I am deeply saddened by the events that have taken place, and can't even imagine what the people that were involved in this horrific accident are going thru over the last few days. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

I also wanted to state for the record that I don't share the views of the article. I do believe that this was a horrific accident. The main thing that is needed now is some healing and mending of our hearts. After some much needed healing we must learn from the events that have taken place and hopefully make the necessary changes to help prevent or limit the amount of risk taken by the racing community.

Just like Mike Helton said (after the Earnhardt accident) we're not reacting for the sake of reacting, we are going to investigate, review, and analyze the root causes of the events and try to prevent this from happening again. But in today's society we can not accept this as a risk worth taken.

You are so rite!! I was there!! I helped load the bodies!! And the first thing they want to do is blame some one!! IT WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT!! But' NO !! Its who can we blame who can we sue?? Maybe if they had been there as I was! Dealing w/ it first hand?? Then maybe?? They would understand just how SAD it really was/is?? When you see somthing like that and see the person die in front of you like that. Or the driver crying as those of us helping did.Then maybe just maybe they would understand then?? It is a very SAD deal and makes many restless nights!! YES ' safety does need to be checked @ ALL tracks!! But' To BLAME some one for what has happened?? That is just WRONG!! Every one involved has to live w/ it for the rest of their lives!! Think that will be easy?? They should NOT be investigateing anything other than > HOW CAN WE MAKE IT SAFER SO THAT THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!! Not' WHO CAN WE BLAME and WHO CAN WE SUE!!:(
racer94 said:
i think it is a bunch of bs they are treating the track and the driver like crap and i knew this would come about eventually.they are leaning more towards the track isnt safe and the driver was driving over his head,more than it was just an ACCIDENT,or it will be something to those effects.this could have happened to the most safest track in the country as well as the best driver in the country,WHY TRY TO POINT FINGERS?this is something we have no control over and was a freak act of nature,something nobody had control over but the man above!
i cannot imagine what anyone who was involved in this is feeling,from the track owners,to the driver,to the family of the lost ones,but i can say this,my heart goes out to each and every one of them.the truth is we take a chance of going to each and every race we go to.the drivers take a chance each and every time they crawl in a car(myself included),and we all take a chance just waking up everyday.there is nothing we can do but move,i just think the way the media is acting is uncalled for,maybe it is me,anyone understand what im saying?

I knew this crap would start. That's the second thing I thought about after hearing about this. The red light started flashing in my head and I knew it was gonna get ugly. It's only just started and we as fans (and drivers) need to hold our heads up, support our local tracks and get a voice! Is it not the responsibility of the media to report BOTH sides?? Can we seek out opportunities to make OURSELVES heard on this issue? I think we can, and should if we don't want to see very dirt track across the country closed down:mad: :(

Back