Leaf springs

modfan

I've got an older modified 2800lbs. Last year I ran monoleafs on bothsides the car handled great but was lacking in forward bite. I'm thinking of putting a stacked leaf on the left and a mono on the right. Any thoughts on how this will effect handling and forward bite? I only run MCS right now

what were you running with the monos spring bar or torque arm? how were your coils mounted shocks also? it would probably thighten the car up some, maybe have a throttle push, are you thinking about floating the right side? also how much pinion angle are you running?

I'm running a torque arm, coils behind the axle, shocks in front, locked right side, 8 degrees of pinion angle.

BTW I've never heard of anyone floating a leafspring before it seems to defeat the purpose of having a leaf spring. Does it work?

I had the best luck with a pullbar, and if that doesn't give you all that you want, put the left coil in front of the axle and the right behind.

Also put the coil spring as close to the wheel as possiable and as straight up as you can.

racefan is right if you put the spring in front of the rearend it will improve bite on witch ever side you do it to. back in the 90's i remember vickers and walsh both floting the right side on thier cars it made the left rear work harder and tightened the car off the corner. it is a little harder on the left side axle tube. and you should take some cross out to keep it from being to tight off. also having the shocks onthe front may hurt forward bite as apposed to the rear i don't know what the difference is but it works.

if it has to do with leafsprings,get ahold of gary blackburn jr(promod26),or corey carriker(cc-28),they'll hook you up.

You can also Contact Chris Soutiea he has and chooses to run the leaf springs. He just might be at TCS this Saturday Night. He just prefers them.

Maybe I phrased the question wrong. I'm happy with the way my car handles it just needs a little more forward bite. I'm thinking of changing to a stacked leaf on the lt rear to try and help the forward bite. I was looking for someone who has experience with this set up. This way I could find out how it effected there car and how well they liked it.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Just putting a stack on the left side will do nothing, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

CC-28
Thanks for the input. I have a hard time believing going to a stacked leaf would'nt have any effect. I would think at the least it would act like having a stiffer spring in the pull bar. Going from a mono leaf to a stacked leaf your adding springs in front of the axle causing axle wrap to become more difficult. What do you think? Am I misunderstanding something?

Your total spring rate with a mono/ coil is 175 plus a 30 pound mono lets say, stack is 175-200. With a low horse 2 barrell application your not going to experience as much wrap. Only one way to find out, but if thats all you change, like I said you will probably not be able to tell the difference.
You are on to something, though. Your just lacking several pieces to the equation, you'd pretty much have to change everything.
With what you have the best way to get good forward bite is monos w both coils in front, good biscuit pullbar, and a 73 shock over the rear instead of a 90/10. 56-60 rear. Really soft shocks in the dry.

Thanks CC-28
Right now I'm really trashing the monos from axle wrap. I don't know if it's from running a torque arm and letting the rear end rotate to far or not.

I've ran pull bars before and didn't like the way the car felt. It was probably just my set up. I'm going to try and run a pull bar next year. Just for grins I'm also going to try a stacked leaf on the left side.

Thanks again for your help

Putting the Stack leaf on the left will help. That with a spring on top of the right rear is still our standard FR-1 setup. It's been good enough to run 2nd this year in the "Big Show" Saturday feature at the IMCA Supernationals in Boone, Iowa (Vern Jackson).

There are a few things you need to do, and one of them is to run a fifth coil and not the pull rod. The pull rod will bind up the movement of the leafs.

Hey, I know there are other ways to do this, but this is a good consistent setup.

Remember you can float the RR mono and mount the RR spring behind for a ton of LR bite, but not everyone likes that.

The right rear behind seems to like the Hoosier UMP tires.

Yea just look at randysracemart .com fr1 leaf chassis and go halfway down the page to see what it can do when floated on hoosiers.

Thanks guys, now I really don't know what I want to do. I think I'm going to try an FR-1 type setup and if that don't work for me. I'll go back to a traditional mono setup.

Thanks
Again

Back