Lebanon I-44 Speedway Results for Saturday, August 4, 2007

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Hayes edges out Otto in B-Mod Thriller at I-44 Speedway; Looney, Beckham go three-in-a-row By Andrew McNaughton/Lebanon I-44 Speedway

(Lebanon) There have been plenty of close finishes this season at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway, but race fans saw perhaps the closest one all year when local racing veteran Jim Hayes beat Jason Otto by inches during the B-Modified feature Saturday night at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway. That was one part of a thrilling night of racing that fans will be talking about for weeks to come, including strong runs by Brad Looney, Terry Beckham Jr., and Lonnie Henderson.

While the B-Modified feature saw several cautions, Otto, Hayes and points leader Josh Woody battled for lead nearly the entire race. On the last lap, Otto and Hayes came out of turn four side-by-side, and Hayes just edged Otto at the start/finish line.

"It was fun racing," said the Crocker native about the close finish.
"I took the lane down there he didn't want."

Hayes had taken over the lead from Otto on an earlier lap that did not count because of a red flag. He waited until the absolute last minute to retake the lead. Woody, Shawn Nations, and Trent Harrison rounded out the Top 5. Track owner Randy Mooneyham added the B-Modifieds as a new entry level class this year, and it has given race fans at the
I-44 Speedway plenty of excitement.

The Late Models provided the usual high speed thrills that fans at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway have come to expect every Saturday. 2006 track champion Brad Looney has been on a hot streak lately, and won his third feature race in a row Saturday night. Once again, it was a battle between Looney had to hold off a hard-charging Dustin Mooneyham to secure his victory.

"Dustin did a good job, he's been running good, and getting faster every week," Looney said.

Meanwhile, Terry Beckham Jr. has emerged as the late season A-Modified powerhouse at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway. While he does not pose a threat to David Hendrix's points lead, Beckham has claimed the last three feature wins. In the 20-lap feature Saturday night, Beckham started from 8th position, and managed to pass Justin Neuman for the lead out of turn two midway through the race.

Beckham had missed Hot Laps and the Heat Race because he was still repairing his #118 Modified that he had torn up racing in Iowa in a USMTS event the day before.

"We just kind of threw it all together on a whim, and it seemed to work," said the Webb City driver from victory lane.

Beckham gave special thanks to Neuman, who let Beckham borrow some parts in the pits to fix his car. Hendrix drove Jason Otto's #8 B-Mod after he had an engine problem with his primary ride, and finished in 7th

Beckham is looking forward competing against the top Modified talent in the country this Saturday night at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway when the United States Modified Touring Series returns.

Lonnie Henderson led every lap in the 15-lap Factory Stock feature, though he had to contend with challenges from Tyson Troutman and Mike Smith.

"You can't ask for a better motor," said the enthusiastic race winner about his Ruble Racing engine.

Kris Jackson's most recent feature win streak ended at three-in-a-row.
Jackson suffered a flat tire that took him out of contention.

Race fans at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway always stay until the end to watch the Bomber and Rookie classes battle it out on the high banks of the Lebanon I-44 Speedway. Shawn Winfrey was back in action Saturday night, and he was able to hold off points-leader Landin Johnson and JC Morton in the 12-lap Bomber feature.

"I'm glad to come back and make a showing like this," said Winfrey, who had been away from racing for six weeks repairing the #64 car. "I saw Johnson beside me there a couple of times, and he's no slouch, so I just tried to get up on it and set a good fast lap."

Meanwhile, Rich Reynolds had two bad weeks in the Rookie class, but brought his repaired #7R back to the high banks of the Lebanon I-44 Speedway and was back in victory lane, for his fifth victory on the season. Jeff Brown spun out points-leader Josh Lewis during the race, which was apparently payback from an accident caused by Lewis the week before.

This Saturday marks the return of the United States Modified Touring Series to the high banks of the Lebanon I-44 Speedway. These are the fastest Modifieds in the country, and you will not want to miss this night of great open-wheel dirt track racing. Then on August 18th, the Winged Outlaw Warrior Sprint Car Series is back at Lebanon's fastest dirt track. The racing action is just heating up at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway, located off of interstate exit 135 on Old Route 66. Gates open for Saturday night racing at 5PM, with hot laps at 6:45PM, and races beginning at 7:30PM.

Lebanon I-44 Speedway Results for Saturday, August 4, 2007

Late Model

Heat 1 (8 laps):
1. 28 Leroy Johnson
2. 14L Brad Looney
3. 31 Bob Hiller
4. 7W Trace Westling

Heat 2 (8 laps):
1. 02 Dustin Mooneyham
2. 0 Darrell Mooneyham
3. 22G Steve Grotz
4. 6 Bob Cummins