"LIL HAUD" Takes K-C 410 Sprint Cash; Pinkerton and Adams claim AMRA Mods and Dan Reno Hobbys

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
K-C Raceway Results 6-11-11

By Scott Wolfe
CHILLICOTHE, OHIO-A great field of cars and a packed house set the back drop for a drama-filled evening of racing that saw second generation driver Sheldon Haudenschild, Millersburg, OH claim the Goodyear 410 sprint car win over a field of 32 of the regions finest sprint drivers during Fan Appreciation Night at Schrader's K-C Raceway, Saturday night. Dave "Fireball" Pinkerton, Chillicothe claimed his second win of the year in the Advanced Services AMRA Modified main after a race-long battle with Hall of Famer Bob Crace, Jr.; and talented Jamey Adams, Laurelville, OH claimed the Dan Reno Hobby stock bout in a close run over Bruce Gray, Jr. Fan Appreciation Night was sponsored by the Pike County Commissioners.
Thirty-two sprint cars poured through the gates in a quest to get the winner's share of the purse, plus a brand new Goodyear tire from Kear's Speed Shop for anyone finishing in the top ten. Despite heavy rains Friday night and Saturday morning that dumped nearly two inches of moisture on the track; the 3/8 mile oval was again extremely fast.
Circa 1976 a youngster by the name of Jac Haudenschild drove the Yerian Coal Co. #75 to his first (then Atomic Speedway) K-C Raceway win. Some 36 years later, another teenager, 16-year old Sheldon Haudenschild, blitzed his way to his first K-C victory lane via the highside--the trademark rim-ride his famous father made famous in a storied Hall of Fame career.
A first lap crash in turn 3 blocked the track and collected six heavy-hitters ( Aaron Higgins, Nick Naber, Kyle Sauder, Jimmy Stinson, Danny Smith, fast timer Cole Duncan), altering the script to the tune of an equally prolific drama.
Lil Haud battled early leader Jimmy Nier as the duo literally romped the high banks as if on a rail. On lap five Haudenschild's #93 dove low by Nier, but Nier battled back to lead two more circuits. Haudenschild made a high-side pass stick and left Nier to pursue closely for the next ten circuits.
Wayne McPeek, "TheWest Virginia Warrior" and Mitchell Harble battled up through the pack after transferring from the B-main to top ten runs. Much of the race Kory Crabtree and Ron Blair swapped positions, while Josh Davis, Zach Ames, Chris Myers, and Mark Imler jostled for position in sometimes 3-wide action. For a time Crabtree was within striking distance of Nier, but once Blair came into the mix, Nier pulled away.
Haudenschild started to inch away and was slowed only once in lapped traffic. A lap 15 restart gave the front runners open sailing, but the youngster soon stretched it out to a comfortable lead and on to the win.
Said Haudenschild, "I'd like to dedicate this win to my Grandpa. I really had fun out their tonight and it's neat to have Dad here to see me win. I just wish he'd had the chance to race me in the feature; but we'll try that again next week."
Rounding out the top ten were Haudenschild, Nier, Ron Blair, Kory Crabtree, Mitchel Harble, Josh Davis, Wayne McPeek, Zach Ames, Chris Myers, and Mark Imler.
Flip victims included Kyle Sauder, Danny Smith, Jordan Harble, and Dallas Hewitt. Jac Haudenschild suffered engine problems while leading his heat race and was finished for the evening.
In the Advanced Services AMRA Modified main, Bob Crace, Jr. and Dave "Fireball" Pinkerton, two Chillicothe natives put on the show of a lifetime much to the delight of the large crowd. Crace led the first four markers and survived several restarts before Pinkerton powered by to take the lead.
From that point on Crace threw everything he had at Pinkerton. Every time Crace challenged, the crowd cheered, some in hopes that Crace could make the pass, and some cheering that Pinkerton wouldn't fold. While that duo battled up front, Mark Bailey had the run of his career in holding off defending champion and car-builder Brian Whiteman. Bailey took the low-to-middle line and Whiteman the high-side, often running on the edge and nearing disaster. Early contenders Jeremy Berwanger and Danny Ferguson exited early after a turn two accident. Jeremy Rayburn also had a good run going, but suffered a flat tire, ending his hopes of a top five finish.
One of the up-and-coming top guns putting on a show was Phillip Bapst, who earned hard-charger honors in a torrid run from 14th to fifth. Standing hard on the throttle, Bapst picked up a position nearly every lap, but was nearly stonewalled toward the finish by hot shoes C.J. Ferguson and Jimmy Lennex, Jr. Once Bapst was by, Ferguson and Lennox fought it out and were left to hold off the challenges of John Arthurs and Jamie Lawson. Sean Settles also came on strong at the finish.
Much of the crowd was on its feet with three laps to go when Crace pulled alongside Pinkerton. "I heard him back there, then I saw him. I think I got a little nervous the last few laps, but had to concentrate to stay smooth."
Crace made a last lap bid, but Pinkerton won by a car length to gain his second victory of the season. "Bob raced me clean and I raced him clean. He's a good friend and great driver. I felt him pressuring me, and knew if I bobbled he'd be right there. I would like to thank all the fans for coming out and supporting the racing and also add that our K-C modified drivers all do a great job. They race hard and they race clean. I'm fortunate to win."
Rounding out the top ten were Pinkerton, Crace, Jr., Bailey, Whiteman, hard-charger Phillip Bapst, C.J. Ferguson, Jimmy Lennox, John Arthurs, Jamie Lawson, who recovered from a spin to reach a top ten; and Sean Settles. Pinkerton claimed the $50 Grooms Trucking Fast Time Award.
Like the close modified show, the Dan Reno Hobby Stocks were racey and showed much professionalism. Most of all, multi-time champion Jamey Adams engaged in a race-long battle with Bruce Gray, Jr. The two pulled away from the rest of the pack with Gray knocking on the door every step of the way. Brandon Mather won his heat and was poised for a good feature run, but suffered mechanical woes as did Jason Holstein.
Tommy Mossbarger pressured Gray early, but had to concentrate on holding off a blitzing Jim Hildebrand and Tracey Ross. Ross the Rim-rider kept up his momentum the entire feature run to bring home a top five. Roger Mossbarger came on strong late in the race pulling Keith Dubois and Tim Cutler in tow. Butch Eblin continues his strong season with a top ten finish over race hard-charger Jeff Sheets (14th to 10th).
Last week, Adams accepted and won the "Last to First" challenge, but opted for the more traditional route to victory lane this week. Still, Adams had his hands full. The last three laps Gray drove deep into the turns, forcing Adams to show his hand. When all was said and done, Adams doubled-down for the win with Gray a close second. Jim Hildebrand tried Mossbarger on the last lap, but Mossbarger, another K-C Champion held on for third. Both drivers had clean, hard runs into the top five.
Rounding out the top ten were Jamey Adams, Bruce Gray, Jr., Tommy Mossbarger, Jim Hildebrand, Tracey Ross, Roger Mossbarger, Keith Dubois, Tim Cutler, Butch Eblin, and Jeff Sheets.
K-C hosts the O'Reilly All-Star Circuit of Champion Sprint Cars next Saturday, June 18 in the second leg of All-Star Outlaw Speedweek. NASCAR Sprint Cup star Kasey Kahne will strap into a 1,400-pound, 900 horsepower sprint car and compete at several shows during the 29th Annual Ohio Sprint Speedweek with the O'Reilly Auto Parts All Star Circuit of Champion Sprint Car Series. Kahne, who won an early 2004 race at K-C will be at K-C June 18.
Ohio Sprint Speedweek features eight nights of racing over nine nights across the Buckeye State. The All Star tradition begins Friday, June 17 at Attica Raceway Park in northern Ohio, then heads to KC Raceway near Chillicothe on Saturday, June 18 followed by a journey to one of the original Speedweek tracks - Millstream Speedway near Findlay – on Sunday, June 19. On Monday the All Stars head to "The Field," Waynesfield Raceway Park, followed by the first of two stops at the historic Fremont Speedway on Tuesday, June 21. Wednesday finds the All Stars at another of the traditional Speedweek stops – Sharon Speedway near Hartford, Ohio. Everyone collects their breath on Thursday before finishing out Speedweek on Friday, June 24 at Limaland Motorsports Park with the $10,000-to-win finale slated for Saturday, June 25 at Fremont Speedway, which is celebrating its 60th season of racing.
For more information, please call 740-663-4141 or visit the K-C website at www.kc-raceway.com or visit www.allstarsprint.com .

The summary: June 11, 2011
GOODYEAR 410 Sprint Cars (32)
Fast Time: Cole Duncan 11:648
Heat One: Jimmy Nier, Aaron Higgins, Zach Ames, Eddie Slone, Beau Stewart, Nate Reeser, Dallas Hewitt
Heat Two: Danny Smith, Nick Naber, Kory Crabtree, Ron Blair, Lance Webb, Brandy Bower, Nathan Skaggs, Rick Fraley
Heat Three: Darrin Long, Kyle Sauder, Josh Davis, Chris Myers, Mitch Harble, Jamie Myers, Jesse McCreary, Jeff Conrad
Heat Four: Jimmy Stinson, Sheldon Haudenschild, Bryce Dickson, Mark Imler, Wayne McPeek, Jeb Lowder, Jac Haudenschild, Jordan Harble
B-Main: Eddie Slone, Brandy Bower, Beau Stewart, Nate Reeser, Rick Fraley, Nathan Skaggs, Lance Webb, Dallas Hewitt
B: Main: Wayne McPeek, Mitch Harble, Jamie Myers, Jessie McCreary, Jeb Lowder, Jeff Conrad, Jac Haudenschild, Jordan Harble
Feature: Sheldon Haudenschild, Jimmy Nier, Ron Blair, Kory Crabtree, Mitchel Harble, Josh Davis, Wayne McPeak, Zach Ames, Chris Myers, Mark Imler, Bryce Dickson, Brandy Bower, Eddie Slone, Aaron Higgins, Nick Naber, Kyle Sauder, Jimmy Stinson, Danny Smith, Cole Duncan

ADVANCED SERVICES MALTA AMRA MODIFIEDS (17)
Advanced Services Modifieds
Grooms Trucking Fast Time: Dave Pinkerton
Heat One: Jeremy Berwanger, David Pinkerton, Bob Crace, Jr., C.J. Ferguson, Danny Ferguson, Jamie Lawson, Sean Settles, Kyle Payne, Mike Hess
Heat Two: Brian Whiteman, Mark Bailey, Jimmy Lennex, Jr., John Arthurs, Mike Arthurs, Tim Rayburn, Phillp Bapst, Jeremy Rayburn
Feature: Dave Fireball Pinkerton, Bob Crace, Jr., Mark Bailey, Bryan Whiteman, Phillip Bapst, C.J. Ferguson, Jimmy Lennox, John Arthurs, Jamie Lawson, Sean Settles, Jeremy Rayburn, Kyle Payne, Mike Arthurs, Jeremy Berwanger, Danny Ferguson, Tim Rayburn

Dan Reno Hobby Stocks (16)
Heat One:Jamey Adams, Tommy Mossbarer, Bruce Gray, Jr., Jim Hildebrand, Roger Mossbarger, Tim Cutler, Jason Holstein, Mike Brust
Heat Two: Brandon Mather, Tracey Ross, Keith Dubois, Jack Martin, Jeff Sheets, Butch Eblin, Brandon Thompson,
Feature: Jamey Adams, Bruce Gray, Jr., Tommy Mossbarger, Jim Hildebrand, Tracey Ross, Roger Mossbarger, Keith Dubois, Tim Cutler, Butch Eblin, Jeff Sheets, Jack Martin, Phil Rice, Brandon Mather, Jason Holstein, Mike Brust, Brandon Thompson

Back