limited modifieds

Need rules like other tracks with limited Mods have

Agreed. Maybe you need to look at the rules that both Malden and the Southern tracks run and do something close to that. Flat top pistons, stock part number heads, and such would allow people to run multiple tracks. As written, there's very little difference from a UMP modified other than the 2 bbl carb. flat tappet cam, and steel heads. It does't specify anything about the heads, so steel heads can be 18* heads, etc. Mopar even makes a 15* steel head. Just food for thought. If you want to increase car counts, you may want to run what other tracks in the area run for limited modifieds so the racers have a choice. No other track in our area runs a UMP limited modified as written so I fear that once again, car counts will suffer as you would have to build a car specifically for Fredrock. Anyone else agree?

not true

modracer41, have you been to Frederictown in the last couple years? We did run by Maldens rules the last 2 years. I copied them myself and was the push for those rules for the reasons you stated. Not one single car from down south came up in those 2 years. The b-mod class grew very well, but the cars were all from Fredericktown north, and most were put together just for Fred.
There are more tracks that run by the ump rules than any other, up this way. We ran UMP rules at the roundup in Pevely, MCS and Doe Run go by a slight variation of them, TCS ran a Limited show very near UMP rules, and . The guys from down south can still come up and run with us under the UMP rules. We took our legal, vortec vacuum motor to those big shows and was able to compete. Ran 2nd at Doe Run the only time we were ever there against big motors.
I just got off the phone with Jeff Canterberry, and he said they will be going by the UMP Midwest limited rules. After talking with him, I have renewed faith in the fact that someone once again has the tracks best interest at mind, and he is working at starting from ground zero to build a good reputation for the track. I wish them the best of luck, and we will be there with 2 b-mods most weeks.
Derek

Attachments

• fred rock rules.jpg
    fred rock rules.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 203
that is the same as the link that I had posted above. It is what Jeff had told me as well, so we are all on the same page. I know due to some discrepancies before, the Fredericktown staff does not post on here, but they are working on getting that all resolved and putting all of the things that have happened behind them in order to get a fresh start.
For the record, I am NOT a Fredericktown official, although I do have an interest in seeing the track survive, and thrive for that matter.
Derek

good idea!!

JMO!! i think that the car count would be allot better with the midwest rules, moreso than with the rules that were ran before. with the midwest rules, a sportsman motor will fit the rules with no changes, to where before, you would have had to change the cam and whatever else to be legal. again, this is just my opion.

I understand what you're saying, but I still maintain that the rules you're talking about, UMP or not, make Fredrock the ONLY track running that class around here. That means that the only cars you will get are the cars that build to run specifically there. Not saying that the rules are bad by any means. They are more expensive than the IMCA version due to the tires, and not limiting the head choices. But that's another subject. The main reason that no one from down South came up was that they didn't know if the track was going to run them or not, and the track didn't do a very good job of promoting it. I know at least 5 guys that I have personally talked to from the Bloomfield-Dexter-Poplar Bluff area that run this class, and they all told me that they would have run Fredrock if they thought they were going to be running all year, and if the rules were the same as they were running down South.
I have two motors, one is a Chevy, the other a Mopar that are perfectly legal under the UMP rule set, so this doesn't matter to me. Just looking at ways to ensure that the class and this track stay around for longer than 3/4 of a season this time. I really like the 'rock and look forward to competing there this year.

drr and mcs run the same rules that fred'twon does they just don't allow alky. they dont have a motor rule same as the ump, you can run the 15* heads at either place if you want. if someone didn't know where they wanted to run just run gas and you can run either drr or fred'town, so i dont see where your point is going. you don't have to build a car specific for fred'town, i do think they are on the right track to get things back to the way they used to be.

dirtman is correct, the reason they went with the UMP rules is because there are more tracks that run those rules. Malden is the only track around running by the "E-mod" rules that we tried. We ran those rules for 2 years up there, those guys from Bloomfield, Dexter area cannot say that they didnt know we were running up here. We took the car that my brother drives down to Malden a few times when Fredrock wasnt racing and talked to many people and told them where we raced and that we ran by the same rules that they did. I called guys that I knew down there and tried to get them to pull up here, they said they would but never showed. We did have guys come from MCS show up wanting to race though.
As for the UMP tire deal being more expensive, I have to disagree. On a track that goes slick every week, I can see burning them up and going through tires, but at Fredericktown the track stays good 90% of the time, they just dont wear out. We bought 10 tires total last year, all used and no more than $25 each, and were able to run upfront and even win with them. Plus the racing is much better on the UMP tire as cars are not spinning out all the time as they do on the IMCA pizza cutters.
I think the right decision has been made. Not only for the rules, but also for the fact that now we can run for more than track points being sanctioned by UMP.
Derek

IMCA vs UMP

The same guys that spin out on IMCA tires spin out on e-mods, they are just spending more money to do it:D

Ump?

I was under the impression that DRR was already ump sanctioned for that class for next year. UMP will not sanction another track within 100 miles of another sanctioned track. I believe Fredricktown was approached a couple of years ago to run these rules and they rejected them. Now that another track is running them with good car counts everyone wants to jump on the band wagon.

From what I understand, that 100 mile rule only affects Late Models and AMods.

Hey Derek.. Guess Chad was getting better tire wear last year huh? 2 years ago you guys were saying you wanted IMCA's because Emods didn't last long enough. And when I said I was getting 12 races out of a USED set of Emods you guys thought I was kidding...

Lets put the B-mods on the IMCA (or equivalent) tire also due to the durability and cost effectiveness. Last years tire rule was to help the class get off the ground by allowing guys to use whatever they could pick up. The guys up front are now buying new tires and with the e-mod, you have to buy them every week or two.
As much as I dont agree with it, from what I hear the A-mods are out.????
DEREK

Bill you must have a soft right foot, we went through 12 e-mods this year at Rock. They were used with 1/2-3/4 tread and would last 1-2 nights on rear.

http://stlracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104058&page=2

No real reason behind my post other than to just give you a hard time.. :D

tires

as far as the tires go, with the hard e-mod rule, as long as a tire dont get cut and someone isn't out there just blowing them off out of every corner, they last very well with lots more traction than the imca style tires. should be some really good racing in this class!! im ready to give it a try, me and dad traded the old sportsman for a mod, so we'll see what happens.
#97 nathan gibson

bill

Well after we installed that traction control, he wasnt spinning them like before! oops, did I say that out loud? LOL
When I talked with Sam of UMP at the Roundup, he said that both tracks had shown interest in being sanctioned, but neither had actually done it yet. He basically said it was up to him whether to sanction either or both tracks for the limited mods.

Ump

That is correct Derek. At the round up that is what was said. However around the second week of November 2008 DRR recieved a call from Sam Driggers saying that they have been approved and will be sanctioned for the 2009 season. At least that is what I was told from a reputable source. Bill brings up an interesting point about the 100 mile rule. I was not aware that it only pertained to mods and lates. If that is the case then good luck to both tracks running the same class on the same night. I wish that all tracks in the area would carry enough cars to support them. I'm not saying that I won't give Fredrock a shot but, I'm going to support the track that gave us MCS racers a shot and a new place to race. As far a tires Bill is right on the wear. If you got your car hooked up and sticking you can't beat an A E-mod for wear. We put 3 new tires on the car at the beginning of 08(used lf). We raced all season only bought 3 more ( 1 tire got cut 4 weeks into the season ). Also the original 3 still have 5/32of tread left on them. Even with MCS going slick every night. We raced as hard a anyone out there and had great tire wear. I can't think of another class with this caliber of cars that can say that.

I agree, I hope that all the tracks get enough cars to maintain the class. We will see you around I am sure, since I am not working at Fred. this year, we will be at DRR some, as well as who knows where else. Good luck!

I was told by jeff sat. that we could still use our imca tires.also they are running amods under ump rules is what he told me.another thing that i was told is that if us b mods only have like 5 cars show up that they will have us run with the a mods instead of having only a 5 car race,and that we would get the payout for the amods but still get our points for the bmods.

Jeff told me the same thing about running the limiteds with the A-mods if car count is low. I dont really see this being an issue, as the B-mods had the more cars than any other class most of last year.
I cant say that I necessarily agree with that, but I do understand that they are trying to find ways to keep the track open all year.
ON the tire deal, he may want to check with UMP on that, if we are running for UMP points, it may be mandatory to run on the E-mod tire. He may have already ok'ed it with them, just dont want any issues to arise once the season is here.

I dont think so. From the way Jeff was telling me, I took it that it was just gonna be once in a while. I could be wrong though. Jeffs phone # is llisted on the Fredericktown site, you can call him to find out for sure.

Back