looking for some info

hartman343

hartman343
Staff member
here is something for all the racing historians, i discovered that there was a race track located on the outskirts of perryville on 61 south. this track would have been from the pre 1960's. i am trying to find out any info or if anyone has any knowledge of it. also, i found out that there was a fairgrounds in chester illinois many years ago that had a racetrack that had racing there also. there was also races down at cape girardeou at the cape fairgrounds back in the 70's, gene burch was talking to a friend of mine about it and was wondering if anyone else had raced there or if anyone else remembers it. any info on these tracks would be appreciated.

I'm not aware of the Perryville track, but the one in Cape Girardeau was the Arena Park Speedway. This was cut and pasted from the motorsports page at our web site:

"The track operated from the 1940s to the 1960s at Arena Park in mid-town Cape Girardeau. The track's original grandstands now accomodate fans for musical events during the annual SEMO District Fair. The large track and lights are visible from the grandstands."

appreciate the info

the "supposed" track in perryville was about 3 miles out, next to a place called the "strip joint" which that building is still there but nothing else, i am trying to look at city hall but they dont have records on computer and trying to find it in the paper files would be a nightmare.
i was kinda curious as to who all raced at the track at cape, and i did find out some more on the chester track, i know exactly where it sat at, but no idea of when it was in operation. any other info would be appreciated.

cape

pretty much any of the old racers ran at cape, from the stories I have heard. Tubby, Fowler, Burch, Bob Williamson, Hooker Hood, Chuck Amati, Elmer Smith, the Slinkards. These are just some names that come to mind. I believe the track closed in 1969, the same year that Farmington opened as Empire Speedway.
I asked my stepdad and he said he doesnt remember one south of p'ville, but there was one just south of St. Mary on 61. And also one just south of St. Mary on the interstate. The one by the interstate was open the same time as the "south" or "old" Sikeston track. He has shown me where the one by the interstate was, and you can still see one turn when the weeds are down.
This was all before my time, but I find it very interesting so I pay attention to the stories.

there is a book by allen brown I do believe that has a short history of many tracks 7you wouldn't believe how many tracks have come and gone

I was there

When I was a youngster I went to Cape many times when my dad's cousin, Jim Eaves (Davids dad) raced there. David and I rode in the back of the truck to and from the races more times than I can count. We were about nine or ten at the time. At Cape they ran two divisions. The "A" cars which were really super modifieds that evolved into the sprint cars of today. Some of the drivers I remember in that class were Bill Bost, Cliff Cockrum, Don Jackson, Bill Corzine, Tubby Black, Gene Henson, Cliff Johns and Chuck Amati to name a few. The other class was the "B" cars which evolved into the late models. Drivers included Cousin Jim who was one of the dominate drivers I'm proud to say. Also I remember Johnny Prior, Gary Easton, Bobby Melvin, Frank Kamuka, Dick Pole, Ron Weakly, B.J. Murphy, Bill Milikan and Johnny Powell. Some of these names should sound familiar as alot of their sons are racing now. Some of my fondest racing memories are from those days watching Jim and freezing in the back of that truck on the way home. Those guys are still my heroes. They drove cars that couldn't have been easy to drive with alot less saftey equipment than they have today.

Brian #44

From the History of Amercia's Speedways Past and Present by Allan E. Brown.

The Chester (IL) Speedway in Chester was a 1/2-mile dirt oval that began 10/6/1934.

At the Randolph Co. Fair it was a 1/5-mile dirt oval that ran in the early 1950's - 1958.

It might have also been known at the Randolph County Speedway.

The site is now a golf course.

The Cape Girardeau Fairgrounds was also known as the American Legion Speedway. It was a 1/2-mile dirt oval that ran at various times: 5/31/42, 1948, and 9/9/52.

It was also known as the Arena Park Speedway. Everett Saylor was fatally injured their on May 31, 1942 and Joie Chitwood won the race.

It was located at the Southeast Missouri District Fairgrounds.

They might have ran a race there in 1992 or 1993.

St. Mary's - There was a 1/4-mile dirt oval that ran in the 1950's.

There was another St. Mary's track that was also a 1/4-mile dirt oval that ran in the 1960's that was different from the first St. Mary's

No mention of a Perryville track.

Sikeston has a dragstrip that is a 1/8-mile paved dragstrip that has been in operation since May 10, 1969.

Sikeston International Raceway was a 3/10-mile dirt oval that ran from 1978 to July 18, 1987. There was a fist fight that broke out between the promoter and the drivers at the last race. It was also known as the Double Nickel Raceway. It was located north of town.

Sikeston Speedway (Miner) was also known as Plantation Speedway. It was a 1/4-mile dirt oval that ran from circa 1972 - circa 1979 and it was located southeast of town.

appreciate all the help

i could have been easily misinformed about the perryville track or it may have even been a horse track for that matter. the Chester racetrack i know exactly where it is because my sisters house sits right where the back straightaway was at. she finds old bricks in the backyard from where the catch fence was. the sparta track i know about and actually have a picture of my dad racing there, 1 by racecar, 1 by horse. again thanx for all the help.

Back